Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 16th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,926
More Potholes Than Ever?

Is it just me or are there more potholes on Huntsville roads than ever before?

I almost constantly have to check for them when changing lanes on 565. And some are DEEP. Even with only 17" wheels, I know if I hit one it would definitely hurt the tire.

Have you seen more potholes too?
__________________
Don't hate...appreciate
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th   #2
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor
 
Beckham's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,517
Send a message via AIM to Beckham
The rain causes a lot to surface, so with all the rain we have been having they seem to be popping up everywhere.
__________________
www.TheSpeakerbox.net - 256.852.0300

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,926
I personally think it was all the snow/ice and the freezing that dislodged the pavement. But they're everywhere! Even in Research Park. Enterprise Way is a game of dodging the potholes while still staying in your lane.
__________________
Don't hate...appreciate
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th   #4
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 303
Theres a section of I40 that's pretty rough. There were holes that my entire SRT fit into. It was a rough rough ride that night.

My new truck just soaks up those holes pretty nice. Little bouncy but doesn't make me feel like I broke something.
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th   #5
sychobaby
sychobaby
is not liking the cold weather
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Even in Research Park. Enterprise Way is a game of dodging the potholes while still staying in your lane.
I could not believe all the potholes on Enterprise! That is ridiculous! Since we are on this subject, have you also noticed all of the missing reflectors fom the roads? I know it is due to scraping the roads during the ice and snow. I drove home the other night in the dark after work in the rain. I could barely see where the road was! At least everyone had enough sense not to pass, for once. Nobody had any clue which lane to stay in. We all chose the middle of the parkway
sychobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th   #6
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,826
If you want to see bad go down Martin Road off Wal-Triania, and Zerdit sucks to. This is the main reason I drive my truck to work everyday.
__________________
I have a tendency to be "that guy".
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,926
Yeah, I forgot about the reflectors. They're a mess too.

At least when they replace them, they should get the ones that use an ultracapacitor, LED, and solar cell to light up at night.
__________________
Don't hate...appreciate
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th   #8
willyplankhead
willyplankhead
if u cant say nothing nice atleast make it funny
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 262
Roads are gona get worse do to lack of federal funding,state funding,and petroleum price increases.and BTW that anti-water spray mix used on 65 and 565 from what I can tell doesn't last long it works good while it last though.
willyplankhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th   #9
Malkier
Malkier
has no status.
 
Malkier's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I personally think it was all the snow/ice and the freezing that dislodged the pavement. But they're everywhere! Even in Research Park. Enterprise Way is a game of dodging the potholes while still staying in your lane.
Enterprise is really bad. Believe that is the section that caused my wheel damage and it to leak. Of course it could have been Zierdt Road before they 'paved/patched' it and the car is only 3.25 inches off the ground!.
__________________
57 Chevy Bel Air; 86 Chevy Silverado; 88 Pontiac Fiero GT; 03 Pontiac Sunfire; 09 Pontiac Vibe GT
Malkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #10
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,826
Those patches are starting to come up so now it's even worse i think. I'm just waiting for the night I get pulled over for LOOKING like a drunk driver swerving all over the place to miss the holes and bumps.
__________________
I have a tendency to be "that guy".
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #11
YgoSlow
YgoSlow
I'd rather be driving.
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 39
Agree with all above statements. Now what are we/can we do about it?

I have no problems writing letters to officials, but I always like to have a couple of answers to put in their first.

-Ed
__________________
Y Go Slow
YgoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #12
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by YgoSlow View Post
Agree with all above statements. Now what are we/can we do about it?

I have no problems writing letters to officials, but I always like to have a couple of answers to put in their first.

-Ed
With the city of Huntsville already in the hole on there annual budget I don't see them doing anything.
__________________
I have a tendency to be "that guy".
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,926
I don't think anything will happen for a while. I personally think the roads will end up getting really, really bad before the funding from something else will be funnelled over to a road project.

There's just no money anywhere anymore. I see all the abandoned retail locations and warehouse space for sale or lease in the city and it's a beacon of how bad things are here. I've never seen so much available commercial real estate in the last 20 years.
__________________
Don't hate...appreciate
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #14
Malkier
Malkier
has no status.
 
Malkier's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I don't think anything will happen for a while. I personally think the roads will end up getting really, really bad before the funding from something else will be funnelled over to a road project.

There's just no money anywhere anymore. I see all the abandoned retail locations and warehouse space for sale or lease in the city and it's a beacon of how bad things are here. I've never seen so much available commercial real estate in the last 20 years.
http://www.theredstonerocket.com/node/311

Huntsville should be getting a large chunk of new taxes from this development at Gate 9. It's really going to screw up traffic. Maybe they can improve the roads with that, but I doubt it. At least the ones going to the Arsenal???

Retail space is leaving, but office space seems to be growing because of BRAC. Has anybody else seen all the new buildings on the Arsenal?
__________________
57 Chevy Bel Air; 86 Chevy Silverado; 88 Pontiac Fiero GT; 03 Pontiac Sunfire; 09 Pontiac Vibe GT
Malkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkier View Post
Retail space is leaving, but office space seems to be growing because of BRAC. Has anybody else seen all the new buildings on the Arsenal?
This is totally true. Everyone in my family are real estate developers, and I was talking with one of them the other day and he confirmed this. Office space in research park is at a premium while retail space all over the city is in excess supply.

I know of some of the road projects that will be underway in the next two years, but none of them are to directly address the potholes.
__________________
Don't hate...appreciate
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th   #16
wagn8r
wagn8r
poops chickens.
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 42
i hate when they "fix" pot holes in the roads. First they will drill the hole out to a nice edged circle area, then leave it for months and then fill it in. Most of enterprise is caused by this, i usually see road teams drilling holes. if you pass them at the right time you'll notice the left over debris next to the nice deep hole...I say if your going to drill it, fill it right after. if i hit another one im sueing huntsville for my tires, its a pain in the butt trying to dodge all of them in traffic, ecspecially in the Research Park area, its just too crowded.
wagn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th   #17
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagn8r View Post
i hate when they "fix" pot holes in the roads. First they will drill the hole out to a nice edged circle area, then leave it for months and then fill it in. Most of enterprise is caused by this, i usually see road teams drilling holes. if you pass them at the right time you'll notice the left over debris next to the nice deep hole...I say if your going to drill it, fill it right after. if i hit another one im sueing huntsville for my tires, its a pain in the butt trying to dodge all of them in traffic, ecspecially in the Research Park area, its just too crowded.
I approve of your status!!!!
__________________
I have a tendency to be "that guy".
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th   #18
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 792
my wife will kill me for this but.......she works for the bama transportaion dept has for years. we had a really rough winter by our (south) standards. it was very rough on the roads. snow,melting freezing,melting,freezing.you get the pic. there is a large shortage of funding for highway work /repair. i just changed out 2 wheels on my sons car from pothole damage.its probably going to get worse before it gets any better. like i tell my kids when they leave watch the other idiots,drive defensivly1
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th   #19
Minichado
Minichado
could use a mental health day
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I personally think it was all the snow/ice and the freezing that dislodged the pavement. But they're everywhere! Even in Research Park. Enterprise Way is a game of dodging the potholes while still staying in your lane.
I was driving that way the other day (first time in a while) and was about to complain to my wife about a huge pothole that I dodged when I had to shut up to swerve around another 3 in a row.. it was madness!!
Minichado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th   #20
ray
ray
...
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 936
Whitesburg got pretty bad for awhile with enough pot holes to put a slalom to shame. They also ate my wheels and tires. The only silver lining is I don't give a d*mn right now about my wheels, tires and suspension because they are due to be replaced soon. But as soon as I do...
__________________
-Ray
ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2001 - 2012, Huntsville Car Scene
Terms of Service