Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old March 17th   #1
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

New Paint

Ok so I got my car back from the paint shop today. Took a crappy pic with my phone but will have lots ready when I get everything back on - Here is a teaser.

Prob. leaning toward these type fender stripes that you see on the vettes and some other modern day muscle. But it will have to wait till the paint cures.

Computer aided pic
Old March 17th   #2
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

those stripes are actually "hash marks". they were originally part of the Corvette Racing heritage on the original Grand Sport Corvette in 1963. They were used on the drivers side only, and they were actually two different sizes (the left (front most) stripe is 2-13/16" wide while the right (rear most) is 2-11/16" wide, each is approximately 8-7/8" long and they are spaced just over 3/4" apart). The 4 original '63 Grand Sport racers that ran at Nassau were trimmed and painted exactly the same. The pit crews put strips of duct tape on the cars front left fenders to tell them apart when they came into the pits. One stripe on car #1, two on #2 etc.
The design team that did the '96 GS put the stripes on as part of the commemorative package which is what a '96 Grand Sport is.
i don't know why so many different companies and people have started putting them on their car now. i was actually considering putting them on my car, because it is a similar color to the GS, but now i'm kind of leaning away from it due to them being on everything in pretty much every color. kind of dilutes the heritage these stripes bring with them. i guess people started seeing them on Vette and Camaros and thought they were a new trend?

Last edited by Wilson!; March 17th at 09:18 PM.
Wilson! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Awesome history on these. I didn't realize they went so far back. I remember them on the c4 and thought they must have started somewhere around there since I had not seen them on older ones.

I think the adaptation is similar to any styling mark that impresses enthusiasts beyond the original mark--Toyota Altezza tail lights, BMW z3 fenders, Toyota Supra Turbo high rear spoiler, etc. I look at the imitations as the best form of flattery.
Old March 19th   #4
Wilson!
Wilson!

i also believe imitation is best form of flattery, but at least know a little about what you are imitating. a couple stripes that hark back to the Corvettes Racing heritage doesn't exactly fit on a stock 1.5L Honda Civic Sedan. That's like putting a VTEC badge on a Ferrari... just doesn't fit

Last edited by Wilson!; March 19th at 08:48 AM.
Wilson! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson! View Post
i also believe imitation is best form of flattery, but at least know a little about what you are imitating. a couple stripes that hark back to the Corvettes Racing heritage doesn't exactly fit on a stock 1.5L Honda Civic Sedan. That's like putting a VTEC badge on a Ferrari... just doesn't fit
Yeah, but how many people actually will take the time to do that. There's so much of a 'that's cool--me too' mentality with a lot of modifications. The individuality is lost at times.

I think the people who take modifications like this and make them mainstream have a much better idea of what they are doing, hence why the trend catches on.
Old March 19th   #6
Wilson!
Wilson!

But on e the trend has caught on it waters the reason behind the trend down, and people that understand the meaning behind it stop doing it. Hence the reason I probably won't do it on mine, unless I come across some genuine vintage GS stripes. You could still order them from GM, but I don't know if they are still available now. They maybe an obsolete part number.
Old March 19th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson! View Post
But on e the trend has caught on it waters the reason behind the trend down, and people that understand the meaning behind it stop doing it. Hence the reason I probably won't do it on mine, unless I come across some genuine vintage GS stripes. You could still order them from GM, but I don't know if they are still available now. They maybe an obsolete part number.
I complete agree. I just saw a 370z on a dyno with Altezza-style tail lights. I bet the owner has no clue that the styling of the tail lights originated on a Lexus sedan.

I think if you can find that original GM part stripes, that would be way cool and really authentic.
Old April 25th   #8
Gumby_Mac
Gumby_Mac
is gettin' ready for Bug'n!

I have to laugh every time I see a car running around with those 3 little press-on fake "grills" on their front fenders. I guess they don't realize those came from their grannies' Buick.
Old April 25th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

At one point, you could get plastic exhaust pipes like that. And once my friend Robbie got some and we added some magnetic backing to them--instant exhaust tips! We had side cutouts, hood cutouts and anywhere else you wanted to put them, lol. They were fun for about 10 minutes.