Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Twickenham Auto Club Autocross #2
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

March 27th 08:00 AM to 04:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Milton Frank Stadium, 2810 15th Ave, Huntsville, AL 35805

8:00am Tech Opens
8:30am Course Open For Walking
10:00am Registration - Tech - Course Closes
10:00am Novice Orientation
10:15am Driver's Meeting (Mandatory)
10:30am First Car Off

Pre-registration for this event is $35.00. $40 day of the event. Pre-register here:
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/cale...curyearindex=5

Please enter from the NORTH side of the stadium. The paddock will be in the north-eastern corner, just south of the bus-pen.

Autocrossing is a time-based event in which cars race against the clock on a course made of cones. Doesn't sound complicated or exciting, but it is the complete driving experience, allowing you to push the limits of you and your car in a controlled environment.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

There were a lot of people registered for one of the first autocrosses of the year. Speed-wise this was one of the fastest courses in the last few years with three cars on course most of the time. Even so, the fastest times still hovered around the 60 second mark.

The efficiency of the event operations was at an unprecedented level to try to get finished before any bad weather arrived. The sweeper at the finish saw a lot of drifting into the finish. And with the general speed over a lot of the course, many of the spins were pretty spectacular.

Because of the cold cones and high speeds, I witnessed damage to cars due to colliding with a cone for the first time. The first was a black BMW that had its fog light assembly knocked loose. This would have been fine if the glass lens didn't hit the ground and shatter into a million pieces. I actually captured this as it happened.

The second was a front lip on a civic tearing off. The lesson I learned from the carnage is that hitting cold cones isn't as forgiving as hitting warm ones.

I was only able to stay until 12:30p as I had to shoot a non-profit's annual fundraiser that was the same day, but I think I still got a good shot of everyone on course. See everyone next time!
10 members will be attending this event:

Old March 19th   #2
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

i really wanted to attend this, but my wife has made plans for us that day wonder if i can find a way out of them without getting in the dog house.
Old March 19th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Depends on what the plans are...
Old March 21st   #4
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!

I plan on being there. 95 isn't fixed yet and the 67 wouldn't pass tech sooooo I'm going to be beating on my mom's Silverado SS since she's getting new tires. Ought to be fun smacking some cones with that long wheelbase and AWD.
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st   #5
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

right now it depends on the weather. if it's raining or damp like last event, i'm going to bail. i know my car won't do anything on a wet surface.
Old March 21st   #6
94FOBRA911
94FOBRA911
has no status.

Thinking I might show up to spectate, meet some of the locals. Still need to get some new springs in before playing hard with the ride.
94FOBRA911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94FOBRA911 View Post
Thinking I might show up to spectate, meet some of the locals.
You're always welcome! These are some of the best events to meet people since there's a minute of driving and lots of time to talk in between.
Old March 22nd   #8
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

New tires going on Friday. As long as it's not raining and 37 like last time I'll be there. Hoping to not look like a total fool this time.
Old March 22nd   #9
sychobaby
sychobaby
is not liking the cold weather

My first time! I hope to not make a fool out myself ;-D
sychobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sychobaby View Post
My first time! I hope to not make a fool out myself ;-D
You will have so much fun you won't care who's watching. Besides, you'll be so engrossed in the driving experience, you won't have time to care either.
Old March 22nd   #11
duh09
duh09

Anyone have any idea where to start with tire pressures in my mom's Silverado SS?
Old March 22nd   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I would put them at max inflation on the sidewall when they're cold and then drop it as needed. A lot easier than trying to fill it up, and the air temp inside the tire will be consistant by the time you're running.
Old March 22nd   #13
duh09
duh09

That's what I was beginning to think. Hopefully the tires came in and she's getting them mounted today. I'm excited, I haven't gotten to beat on her truck since last year's Power Tour.
Old March 22nd   #14
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I would think the same a Samir said start high and come down. The heavier the vehcile the higher the tire pressure should be for the most part. I actually lower mind slightly from what I run on the street. But then again what do I know.......
Old March 22nd   #15
NameLessTsBlake
NameLessTsBlake
has no status.

Will be spectating for this event, but hope to run in the next one!
NameLessTsBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh09 View Post
...I haven't gotten to beat on her truck since last year's Power Tour.
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
I would think the same a Samir said start high and come down. The heavier the vehcile the higher the tire pressure should be for the most part. I actually lower mind slightly from what I run on the street. But then again what do I know.......
It's been so long since I've autocrossed and never messed with tire pressures, so that was just a guess. Glad it matched what others were thinking.

And lower pressures are important too. I know I used to run lower pressure in the rears of the Altima to reduce some of the oversteer. The perfect pressures in that car on Potenza re950s was 40f 38r.
Old March 22nd   #17
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

There are a lot of factors affecting traction. I start high and come down. At Milton Frank some of my best runs come and near the normal limit of 32 PSI. I start at 38 PSI in front and 36 PSI in back. (Front wheel drive)
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd   #18
duh09
duh09

I can't wait to sling that truck around again. Its so much more stable and planted feeling than my Mustang. I feel like my 'stang is going to go sliding through a million cones every time I go around (although I've gotten pretty good at not hitting any, must not be aggressive enough...) but the SS on the other hand just goes where you point it. My only issue I think is fitting that truck where it needs to be. That and the auto.

Just for sh*** and giggles, here was one of my runs at last year's Power Tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNVqjEsSMBU
Old March 22nd   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I think the awd helps out a lot. It can cover up issues corner entry, apexing and all that jazz. But if fun is the objective, and it always is for me, none of that matters, lol.
Old March 22nd   #20
barrett4bama
barrett4bama
has no status.

What is required to run in this?
barrett4bama is offline   Reply With Quote