Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Alabama Jubilee Auto Show
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

May 27th to May 28th 06:00 PM to 03:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Point Mallard Park, Decatur, AL
Contact: Doug Poole 256-773-9652, Charles Adams 256-350-3383

From the flyer:

Registration is $25 and includes a free t-shirt to the first 250 entries. Registration ends at noon. Early registration is available Friday from 6-8pm and includes a cookout. There is no judging and no awards. A Chevy 350 engine and Style 55 Rallies from Vision Wheel will be given away as well as lots of door prizes. There will also be a 50/50 drawing as well as a swap meet. Swap meet spaces are $25.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

I came out early to spend some time with the pre-registrants and get out of the house. And the wonderful BBQ from AJ's cooking team wasn't a bad thing either!

AJ's cooking team

Doug mentioned that this was a lighter pre-registration turnout than usual with only about 20 cars or so. But what didn't occur to me until after the weekend was that the 1:10 ratio of pre-registereds to registereds still meant that there was going to easily be in excess of the 120 or so cars this show usually sees. And I was completely overwhelmed with 300+.

Since the two parking areas were diagonal from each other, you couldn't tell how many cars were in the area by the pavilion from the distant lot. I'm not sure why the lot across from the pavilion was not used versus the diagonal lot, but no matter as there was plenty of space for all.

And since I didn't know there were 300+ cars, I started out taking my usual 3 pictures per car. I'll do this at shows that have 100 cars or less as it's possible to shoot 300+ photos in an hour. And I only had about two hours since I was at an event earlier this morning until noon. It's possible to cover 200 cars in two hours.

Well, once I talked to Doug and figured out there were a lot more cars (300+ vs 200) and a lot less time (30min vs 1hr), I had to shift to my normal way to approach 300+ cars--one picture per car. So some of you may not have gotten any photos and some may have a lot. Next year I'll be better prepared.

It was actually surprising to see so many cars in the heat. It was a scorching hot day with a bright sun overhead. But that didn't stop the car owners or spectators that were there by the thousands for all the activities of the Alabama Jubilee.

There was even a visit from the Alabama Garrison of the 501st Legion and Tranquility Base of the Rebel Legion. Darth Vader, a couple of Storm Troppers, and the lovely Princess Leia were perusing the car show.

Darth Vader posing with a Mustang of his liking

The lovely Princess Leia

Joe from the Limestone County Mustang Club mumbled that he didn't believe in the force as Vader walked by. Vader found his lack of faith disturbing.

"Joe, I find your lack of faith disturbing..."

The troopers were looking for some droids, but could never find the ones they were looking for. Probably because 'Bubba Fett' was leading the campaign, lol.

"Nope, no droids here."

I want to thank both Legions for bringing a really fun aspect to the car show. My brother would've loved it. He's a real fan of the Star Wars saga. This was the cutting of the cake at his wedding reception. You don't want to know how much that cake was.

There were A LOT of cars for sale. You could almost pick what you wanted, and it was for sale. And there were some very unique vehicles just passing through, like this Campagna v13r that stopped in for a bit.

Campagna v13r

And we had visitors from out of town as well. Fred was from North California from a small town similar to our area. He's been working in Arab as part of the storm cleanup effort and this was his first day off. He's an enthusiast as well with his daily driver being a 46 Chevy pickup that is unrestored. We talked about how driving an older car is a bit of a challenge--the starter is on the floor with the gas pedal, there's the choke, and the transmission isn't synchro so you have to be very good at rev-matching. Things have come a long way since 1949. Fred enjoyed his trip out to Decatur, but was a bit disappointed that the baloon night flights were cancelled due to high winds.

I want to thank badgirl69nova for having a nice neat stack of flyers for me to take pictures of, and my friend with the Dodge Colt (I forgot your name--I'm terrible with names!) for helping me distribute the Huntsville Car Scene passout slips. You both made a world of difference in my day. See everyone next time!
10 members will be attending this event:

Old May 23rd   #2
slowjoe24
slowjoe24
.......what do you want to talk about??
Huntsville Car Scene Staff Writer

Who is going to this show this weekend?????? It's always a great one!!!
slowjoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd   #3
sychobaby
sychobaby
is not liking the cold weather

Not me! I will be slinging my car around Nashville Superspeedway. Have fun and take lots of pictures!
sychobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd   #4
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Hey..............you have fun a be safe!!!!!
Old May 23rd   #5
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

Does anyone know if any of the proceeds from this car show go to any charities?
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I don't think so, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask as the flyers were make before the tornado outbreak and may not list something.
Old May 24th   #7
LastChance
LastChance

Read who the contact is. The only charity they support is in thier back pocket.
LastChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th   #8
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

I'm still planning to be there!!! Always a good show and NICE cars!!!
Old May 25th   #9
badgirl69nova
badgirl69nova
shining chrome for this weekends shows...

I will be there as well as Hubby and his lemans, not sure if we are going to register but then again you never know... Still sounds like a LOT of fun!!!
badgirl69nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th   #10
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

it`s a great event .. just a bit hard to find parking
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th   #11
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

It is a nice event, good location, lots of nice rides, friendship - but do not believe any of the funds go to any charity. At least it does not show on the flyers - past or present - that I can remember.
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th   #12
badgirl69nova
badgirl69nova
shining chrome for this weekends shows...

Ill be there but would like to register tonight, only exactly where will it be at point mallard, will they have signs up? Im not puttin the Nova in, it has decided that the carburator is gonna throw a fit so it will stay in the garage but the Leman's will be there.
badgirl69nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th   #13
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

This event is usually held at the very end of the Pt Mallard Park Road. Past the water park and ice rink. There should be signs. For the early ones, there is parking among the trees with lots of shades. And then there is parking on the other side. Nice to get a spot over by the river.
Old May 28th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

And I've heard if you get there really early in the morning, you'll get a good view of the balloons. There's also an antique tractor show there nearby the show.
Old May 28th   #15
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Just got back from a short visit to this event. Chip took a break from the shop and the '69. Great amount of rides. Nice weather, but getting a little hot. As we were leaving, still more coming in. Hope to see many of you this evening at Jack's on Beltline Road, Decatur, starting at 5pm. Marsha
Old May 28th   #16
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

a good event indeed .. kinda suprised to see as many tractors as cars

Last edited by HOSS429; May 28th at 01:33 PM.
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I was a bit overwhelmed by the 300+ turnout. I was expecting the 100-120 that normally turn out. I went by the tractor show after the car show ended. Theirs ended around the same time and they had 150 or so tractors.
Old June 1st   #18
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Please tell me that the pics of me with Darth Vader turned out!!!
Old June 1st   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

They did. I should have everything from the weekend posted by the end of the day. Still some writing and culling to do...
Old June 2nd   #20
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Awesome!!!