Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Ardmore Car Show
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

August 13th 10:00 AM to 03:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: John Barnes Park, 30510 Ardmore Ridge Rd, Ardmore, TN 38449
Contact: Rodney 205-908-2677, Sandy 256-656-3413, www.aqbc.net

Per a text from Rodney, the show is on for this weekend, August 13th!

From the flyer:

Registration is $25 or $20 before August 3, 2011. The pre-registration deadline has been extended from the original date. Pre-registratants receive a souvenir cap, a dash plaque, 1 ticket for door prizes, and 3 chances on the 1966 Impala Sedan Delivery and cash grand prizes. Registratants will receive a dash plaque, 1 ticket for door prizes, and 1 chances on the 1966 Impala Sedan Delivery and cash grand prizes. Registration ends at noon on the day of the show.

There will be 7 grand prize drawings including a 1966 Impala Sedan Delivery, a Snap-On rolling tool box valued at $4200, cash prizes of $1500, $1000, and $500 as well as a $50 cash drawing every 10 minutes. There's also a 50/50 drawing that will be in the thousands, and a drawing for a pinstripe job by "Browder" at 10:15am.

There's also awards all done by participant judging for the following classes:
  • Pre-1948 Cars
  • Pre-1948 Trucks
  • 1949-1959 Cars
  • 1949-1959 Trucks
  • 1960-1979 Cars
  • 1960-1979 Trucks
  • 1980-1995 Cars
  • 1980-1995 Trucks
  • 1996-2011 Cars
  • 1996-2011 Trucks
Top 5 in each class and a Best of Class. There are also corporate sponsor's picks awards

But the show doesn't stop with all the prizes and awards, there's live music by Kosmic Mama as well as tons of food, drinks, and vendors.

This is by far the largest event in our area. You don't want to miss it. Come early, stay hydrated and enjoy the literally hundreds of cars that will be everywhere.

Rain date is September 3, 2011.

From Rodney:

"Just a reminder folks. I understand that the preentry deadline is set at July 13th but we are extended it to Aug 6th for those who have just gotten access to the flyer. We apologize for running late this year but real life gets in the way at times. I am pretty sure we all have those times.

We were hoping to get the car out for everyone to see this past weekend but we are having to replace the AC compressor and Heater blower. Funny how things work when you take stuff off but doesn't when you paint it and put it back on. As for the car, it runs greats, stops great, looks cool. We have striped it up (Browder) to honor one Ardmore's Hot Rodding icons. Hoarce Elliott is a big impala guy and ran a Plumbing service in Ardmore for decades. We did a little tribute to him on the scheme and he does not know it yet. It will probably make him cry when he sees it. He got many of us into hot rodding and ole cars that run out of Ardmore up here.

Still looking good for the show though, Samir is right please stay hydrated, it will be hot as it always is but it well still have some fun.

We are trying to get Samir to do a little dancing with the stars that day with Kosmic Mama. We may need some HCS members here to talk him into it.

If any one has any issues or questions do not hesitate to call me @ 205.908.2677: Rodney Willoughby."

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

As I woke extra early to go to Ardmore, I knew I had the biggest challenge of the year in front of me. With pre-registrations up from 300 last year and an average pre-registration:registered ratio of 3:1, there would be over 1000 cars this year. Spending an average of just 10 seconds with a car means it would take 10,000 seconds to get to all the cars, and with 3600 seconds in an hour, that's 3 hours right there.

For covering events of this magnitude, you have to be truly ready--cameras, memory cards, hydration, food, and in good health. You're almost literally running for over 3 hours non-stop in the heat, which luckily felt about 20 degrees cooler than last year. And clouds overhead also helped the lighting, making it almost idea car photo weather for most of the day.

It's also great to have help, which I was fortunate to have. And it was great help too. Tim (intenseconcepts) joined me Friday when I checked out the field and the pre-registered cars, and then Chris (cLc) joined us on Satruday. They were both really good with my Panasonic cameras while I manned the Sony. Without their help and energy, getting a single photo of each car at this show would have been brutal on me. Thank you so much guys!

As I drove up Highway 53 from Huntsville, there was a time when traffic slowed to about 45mph. I peeked ahead to catch the glimpse of something bright green. I knew it was a car coming to the show. And right behind it was a beautiful classic black Thunderbird. So I got my camera ready, and was planning to take a picture while I passed each car. But they pulled off to allow the other traffic to pass. But I still got a shot of them as I passed by. And all the hassle was worth it for the couple driving those cars--they won the $1500 cash drawing.

Several of the companies that support Huntsville Car Scene were at the swap meet. Bowtie Supply, CBI Performance, and EB Liquidprint all had booths:

A lot of local clubs came out to the show too--North Alabama Volkswagon Club, Vets with Vettes, Rocket City Camaros, Rocket City Mustang Club, Limestone County Mustang Club, and the North Alabama Cobra Club.

One of the newest things to the show this year was 1/64 scale drag racing for the kids. And this went over very well as the kids raced all day, and even had their own trophy.

As I took pictures on the show field, I noticed several cars from Ford that had my father's work in them. He was a mechanical engineer for Ford in the late 1970s, and designed the steering and some front suspension for the Lincolns and Zephyrs. And this car made me stand completely still as it struck me with nostalgia. The front of this Lincoln was almost identical to the 1977 Mercury Monarch that was our family car for so many years. It even had the same front bumper with the skinner rubber strips.

The giveaway car this year was created to commemorate Horace Elliott. Horace has been a great influence on the car enthusiasts in Ardmore, many who are enthusiasts today because of him, and have founded this great show. Horace suffers from Parkinson's, but his enthusiasm and wit is as alive as ever. In my conversations with him, Horace talked about having an 'old geezers's club' for those like himself that are still in the hobby, lol.

Friday evening before the show, Horace poses with the giveaway car that bears his name

Horace and Rodney admiring the car Friday night

Friday night was also an interesting night after I left the park. Within two minutes of leaving the park, I found a Passat 4motion W8, as well as what looks to be Ardmore's version of the General Lee:

Ardmore's General Lee

Several Huntsville Car Scene members and visitors won Top 5 awards or Best in Class awards. Congratulations to everyone!

John from the Knuckleheads won yet another award, this time taking Brad Stovall's Choice.

And our very own Special Angel won the giveaway car! What a day for her, winning both a Top 5 trophy and a car.

I've always wondered why Special Angel looked so familiar to me. And today it hit me--she looks just like my aunt.

And speaking of giveaway cars, last years was present this year--as a car in the show.

As the show grounds cleared, they became as empty and full of endless green grass as I saw them just a day ago . You'd never know the largest car show in North Alabama is held here.

I want to thank the staff of the show and especially Rodney (LastChance) and Sandy for showing us such great hospitality and accommodating us. You guys made this event coverage possible. And Happy Birthday Rodney!

Here's a few pictures of Rodney and Sandy in action and receiving their well deserved honorary plaques:

Rodney working hard at the show

Sandy and Rodney receiving their awards

Rodney would barely stand still long enough to get his picture taken. Sandy was even quicker and was already back to work.

Rodney and Horace being silly in front of the camera

I think everyone agrees that this is one of the best shows in the area. But if you don't, let Rodney know. They have a 'Lessons learned' meeting after each year's show to try to make the best even better. See everyone next year!
34 members will be attending this event:

Old March 22nd   #2
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

i noticed no BOOTSY listed above. is he not going???
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
i noticed no BOOTSY listed above. is he not going???
He's probably still having login issues. I told him to call me the next time he's in front of the computer.

I need to post my number with '24x7 tech support' beside it. I'm always working on the site, and the phone's right here.
Old March 22nd   #4
Malkier
Malkier
has no status.

http://www.aqbc.net/carshow.html

My car (silver one) is in the center picture on their website! Its a small photo, but caused me to grin .

Will try and make it again this year.
Old March 22nd   #5
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!

Can't wait! My 67 will be waiting until that day.
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Here's one from last year's show:

And one from the Madison Street Festival:
Old March 23rd   #7
Malkier
Malkier
has no status.

Got seats, carpet (already here), door panels, and firewall cover all on order. Hope they show up and I have time to install before next months car show at bridgestreet. Then the inside can follow the outside theme.
Malkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd   #8
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I don't think I'm going to enter this year. It was just WAY to hot last year. I'll prolly still ride up.
Old March 23rd   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
I don't think I'm going to enter this year. It was just WAY to hot last year. I'll prolly still ride up.
If you're going to still be there, how do you get less affected by the heat? lol

Last edited by Samir; March 23rd at 12:06 PM. Reason: grammar big time
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th   #10
LastChance
LastChance

ACS update. We are a little late on getting the flyer out due to the giveaway car not being finished yet but we will get it done and on the road in way enough time for most to get a look at her.

I apologize up front for the heat that will be there, just too many conflicts involved and I have not enough pull to move.

I really want to say thank you for all the HCS members that attended in the past and has help out at the show, you guys are great. If anyone wants a flyer mailed to them please pm me your address and I will get you added to the mailing list. We will allow plenty of time to preregister and any HCS members can bend the rules a bit just let me know up front before the show.

Thanks all.
LastChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th   #11
LastChance
LastChance

Ardmore Cruise In

We are also looking at doing a cruise in at the park this summer. We have to iron out some dates and it will be in the evening and no costs to attendees. I am looking at cooking some free burgers and dogs and maybe some local entertainment or a movie in the evening hours.

Any suggestions would be great and welcomed.
Old April 17th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChance View Post
We are also looking at doing a cruise in at the park this summer. We have to iron out some dates and it will be in the evening and no costs to attendees. I am looking at cooking some free burgers and dogs and maybe some local entertainment or a movie in the evening hours.

Any suggestions would be great and welcomed.
I like the idea of movies! Car movies would be awesome. Check out list list of ultimate car/bike movies for some ideas:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=2613

Feel free to add the event to the calendar when it is all hammered out. I remember the cruise-in at Sonic a few years back and made it out there a few times.
Old April 18th   #13
LastChance
LastChance

Samir,

Can you call me at 205.908.2677 when you get a chance? I need some info about HCS to get on the flyer.

Thanks
Rodney
Old April 18th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChance View Post
Samir,

Can you call me at 205.908.2677 when you get a chance? I need some info about HCS to get on the flyer.

Thanks
Rodney
Left you a message. Feel free to call me anytime, 615-512-5520.
Old July 10th   #15
Malkier
Malkier
has no status.

Got the Ardmore flyer in the mail. $25 for entry.

Spectators $5 per person or $15 per family.

10 classes:
1 & 2 ... pre - 48 Cars / Trucks
3 & 4 ... 49 - 59 Cars / Trucks
5 & 6 ... 60 - 79 Cars / Trucks
7 & 8 ... 80 - 95 Cars / Trucks
9 & 10 .. 96 - 11 Cars / Trucks

Top 5 by class and best of class for each.
Judging by contestants

Corportate Sponsors Picks

Rain date is sept 3rd

Flyer here ... just can't download it ?
http://www.aqbc.net/carshow.html
Old July 10th   #16
200sxsermatt
200sxsermatt
shift denied!

this show gets bigger and bigger each year! last year it was huge but hotter than all get out!
200sxsermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th   #17
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

This is the Dirty South you wimps. We thrive in the heat.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th   #18
200sxsermatt
200sxsermatt
shift denied!

Yeah i know...i drive with no ac...lol only the wifes car has ac...
200sxsermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th   #19
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200sxsermatt View Post
Yeah i know...i drive with no ac...lol only the wifes car has ac...
Same here man lol

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th   #20
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
This is the Dirty South you wimps. We thrive in the heat.
survive yes... thrive..............not so sure about
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote