Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Elkmont High School Band 1st Annual Car Show
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

August 27th 09:00 AM to 03:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Elkmont High School, 25630 Evans Ave, Elkmont, AL 35620

From the flyer I found on this web site:

Registration is $15 through August 19, 2011, $20 thereafter. Entry includes admission for 2 people. $2 spectator admission and children under 10 free.

Classes include:
  • Muscle Car
  • Street Rod
  • Ratt Rod
  • Custom Truck
  • Antique Classic (pre-1986)
  • Best Chevy
  • Best Ford
  • Best Overall
  • Late Model
Each registration fee is valid for one class.

Awards include:
  • Best Overall - Trophy + 10% of total entry fees
  • 1st and 2nd places in each class
  • People's Choice - Trophy and 50% of the pot
In addition to the show there is a 50/50 drawing and food.

All proceeds go to benefit the EHS Band.
2 members will be attending this event:

Old August 17th   #2
LastChance
LastChance

I just returned from a meeting with the Elkmont Car Show Commitee and have some news on this show. They did not have a late model class on the flyer but they will have a class for those vehicles. This is a first year show and they are a little behind on putting on a show but they seem very excited and want to do a good show. The good news on this is that Elkmont has a very nice park right north of the town that is very similiar or even better than the park at Ardmore and I am pushing them to look at that area next year which would great. The Ardmore gang is planning on attending this show so everyone come out and give this group suggestions on how you would like a show to be. They are very open minded and just want everyone to have a good time. They are good people.
LastChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you very much for the update. I added a late model class to the listing.
Old August 21st   #4
GP01GT
GP01GT
says, "Relax....."

Hey...how about a GM or Pontiac class??
GP01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th   #5
dartsport
dartsport
laid back

There's a possibility there could be some Mopars there too
dartsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th   #6
1htmama
1htmama
yellow nut

The 427R on the flyer will be there!!

Last edited by Samir; August 25th at 02:37 PM. Reason: fixed color :)
1htmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th   #7
BamaMopars
BamaMopars
Mopar or No car!

I hope they make some money for the school with 50 % of the 50/50 pot and I guess the other 50% going to the pot winner. 50/50 is were they will make most of there money.
BamaMopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th   #8
LastChance
LastChance

The 50% of the pot is going to be an interesting thing. I had to get them to explain it to me and I still did not fully understand it but basically it can allow you to buy an award and get have of the money that is put in for the votes. So basically for the peoples choice award you have to pay to vote for a vehicle (1 buck a vote) and whoever has the most votes win. They do it at beauty walks with success but car show people are an different breed. I am pretty some trophy hunters would throw in a texas ten just to get a trophy. Not me, I would rather win the 50/50 but thats my opinion. I am not sure how that is going work out but if you do not try some new things at times you will never learn.

I heard most of the crew that I run with is going so hopefully its a good turnout for them.
Old August 25th   #9
LastChance
LastChance

I also mention about the best ford and chevy thing too. They do not have the benefit of having a car person on the committee so some of the things that were put out in the beginning, they just did not know. I am pretty sure they will change things up was they get thier feet wet a little. I am just glad to go to a show and not have to work.
Old August 25th   #10
BamaMopars
BamaMopars
Mopar or No car!

yea I guess the mopars and imports do get a class but trophys are hard to get right lol. We are changing with ours just trying to get things right.
Old August 25th   #11
dartsport
dartsport
laid back

I didn't see the Mopar or import class
Old August 25th   #12
BamaMopars
BamaMopars
Mopar or No car!

i have figured out that mopars and imports are not to much different in the car world.
Old August 25th   #13
dartsport
dartsport
laid back

That's just part of owning one, you learn to deal with it
Old August 25th   #14
BamaMopars
BamaMopars
Mopar or No car!

tell me about I have had my 69 swinger for 21 years
Old August 25th   #15
dartsport
dartsport
laid back

I've had a Mopar since 1978 so I grew up used to it...lol, but I like any car that's cool I just prefer to own a Mopar
Old August 25th   #16
BamaMopars
BamaMopars
Mopar or No car!

i guess you can say I have been a mopar person since 79(the year I was born) I was brought home in a 73 duster. We still have the same 66 charger from
then to.
Old August 26th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

"Mopar or no car!" I had to put that out there.

Actually, I guess I'm a Mopar baby as well. We had a Gremlin when my dad worked at AMC as an engineer. I was born there in Kenosha, Wisconsin. He told me all sorts of cool stories like driving 95mph on the Michigan speedway and listening for noises where they needed additional sound deadening. Too bad my mom totalled that Gremlin. It was a Gremlin X in regular Gremlin clothing before they introduced the Gremlin X the next year. My mom totalled all our cars. And I'm the bad driver according to the law, sheesh...
Old August 28th   #18
LastChance
LastChance

Well, I was very impressed with the turn out that they had yesterday @ the show. I believe they had over 70 vehicles and for a first time show on such a short notice it was actually a great success, IMO.

I had to arrive late and leave early but everyone that I spoke with was having a great time. I think I got them committed to give away some big cash next year for grand prizes and that help with the turn out, but thats thier decision.

Quality high end cars / trucks were there, food was good, music was great, and everyone had a good time. Hard to beat whether its 10 vehicles or a 1000.

Keep en on the road
Old August 28th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Awesome! I was debating on where to go this weekend with all the events going on. There was no way to hit even a major portion of them with them scattered everywhere.

Last edited by Samir; August 28th at 08:57 AM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote