Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

TVR-SCCA Solo II Autocross #2
Calendar: Events Calendar
Steve  
May 7th 08:00 AM to 04:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Milton Frank Stadium, 2810 15th Ave, Huntsville, AL 35805

8:00am - Tech Opens
8:30am - Course Open For Walking
10:00am - Registration - Tech - Course Closes
10:15am - Driver's Meeting (Mandatory)
10:30am - First Car Off

Registration is $35 for SCCA members. Temporary SCCA memberships will be available for non-members.

Autocrossing is a time-based event in which cars race against the clock on a course made of cones. Doesn't sound complicated or exciting, but it is the complete driving experience, allowing you to push the limits of you and your car in a controlled environment.

The Tennessee Valley Region of the Sport Car Club of America (TVR-SCCA) is a sister club to the Twickenham Auto Club (TAC) and the events follow a similar format.

Online registration is available here

This the final SCCA membership drive event. Join SCCA at the event and we waive the entry fee for the event. Fill out this form and bring it to the event.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

A good turnout for the first autocross since the storms. It wasn't a large turnout in comparison to the past few events, but was still good considering how many people were still getting back on their feet. But those that came, came in force with some of the nicest cars to be seen this year. There were two BMW M Coupes, both z3 and z4, a black Lotus I had not seen before, a twin-turbo rotary rx7 that was hyper fast, as well as a full-out race car from the Star Mazda race series.

The weather was as perfect as can be with clouds above to keep the sun from beating down. It also made for the perfect light for photos.

The course was pretty quick with a sweeper at the end that was prone to being drifted as it pointed you right towards the finish. The fastest times hovered in the lower 50s unless you were driving a black rx7 at its limits. Then your time dipped into the 47s.

I had other events to cover as well as this one, so I may have missed some on-course pictures. But I'm sure there's plenty from other events for your collection. See everyone next time!
2 members will be attending this event:

Old April 20th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you so much Steve!
Old May 6th   #3
sok07
sok07
has no status.

I will be out there tomorrow morning in the MGB.
sok07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok07 View Post
I will be out there tomorrow morning in the MGB.
Sweet!
Old May 6th   #5
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!

Darn finals messing up my autocrossing!
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It's all good. Autocrossing happens all summer long.
Old May 6th   #7
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
It's all good. Autocrossing happens all summer long.
It's all good! I've got to get my Mustang's backfiring issue fixed before they'll even let me run again because it was too loud. I've got to get new motor mounts and it'll all be fixed haha.
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh09 View Post
It's all good! I've got to get my Mustang's backfiring issue fixed before they'll even let me run again because it was too loud. I've got to get new motor mounts and it'll all be fixed haha.
Yeah, loud exhaust is one thing. Causing people in the neighborhood nearby to duck a few times on each of your runs is probably a bigger aggravation, lol.
Old May 7th   #9
sok07
sok07
has no status.

Quote:
Sweet!
Sorry for being short in the convo with you this afternoon. I just had to finish my convo with Steven. Very competitive day in HS. Fast times were being traded almost every run. Received a complaint in the morning regarding my MGB's classification in HS class. Complaint was the fact that my wheels (15x6") were 0.5" wider than 'stock' wheels (14x5.5").

I feel that my MGB ... 40yrs old with a whopping 55whp on a good day, no ABS, no power steering, a less than stellar spread in gear ratios (4spd), rear drum brakes, etc...I'm doing pretty darn good competing against more 'modern' cars in field of HS cars, let alone have it running to bring regularly to autoX. I don't complain about it's shortcomings...it just makes it more challenging and give me the motivation try to drive faster. Most TAC/TVR regulars feel that my MG in the current configuration truely belongs in HS. However if the consensus feels that me having that little bit on 'street' tires pushes me to FSP class...i shall replace the tires on my stock 14x5.5" wheels sitting in my garage with r-comps and stay in HS! I'd rather not do that because it gains me nothing in learning how to drive the MG at it's limits. I've got other 'faster' cars to bring to autoX...I choose bring the MGB because it brings me the most satisfaction racing.

Anyhow...that's my novel.

Oh BTW....Samir I will be heading to VIR to watch the Rolex Grand-am & ContinentalTire series races. Would you like me to donate my photography services/pics to HCS? It'll be my first time at VIR so I plan on taking plenty of pics.
Old May 8th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry for being short in the convo with you this afternoon. I just had to finish my convo with Steven. Very competitive day in HS. Fast times were being traded almost every run. Received a complaint in the morning regarding my MGB's classification in HS class. Complaint was the fact that my wheels (15x6") were 0.5" wider than 'stock' wheels (14x5.5").
It's all good. As you can tell, I was running quite a bit myself. I can't believe you got a complaint. I mean, it's not like you're beating everyone with a modern car. If you went and rented a modern HS car for the day, they'd really be in trouble!
Quote:
I feel that my MGB ... 40yrs old with a whopping 55whp on a good day, no ABS, no power steering, a less than stellar spread in gear ratios (4spd), rear drum brakes, etc...I'm doing pretty darn good competing against more 'modern' cars in field of HS cars, let alone have it running to bring regularly to autoX. I don't complain about it's shortcomings...it just makes it more challenging and give me the motivation try to drive faster. Most TAC/TVR regulars feel that my MG in the current configuration truely belongs in HS. However if the consensus feels that me having that little bit on 'street' tires pushes me to FSP class...i shall replace the tires on my stock 14x5.5" wheels sitting in my garage with r-comps and stay in HS! I'd rather not do that because it gains me nothing in learning how to drive the MG at it's limits. I've got other 'faster' cars to bring to autoX...I choose bring the MGB because it brings me the most satisfaction racing.

Anyhow...that's my novel.
Yep, that's my thoughts too. If you're getting complaints about being competitive, then just beat them, lol.
Quote:
Oh BTW....Samir I will be heading to VIR to watch the Rolex Grand-am & ContinentalTire series races. Would you like me to donate my photography services/pics to HCS? It'll be my first time at VIR so I plan on taking plenty of pics.
I'd love it! VIR is one of the tracks I've always wanted to see because of all the times I've heard about it and the few times I've caught segments of races on Speed. Just let me know when you're ready and I can pick up a CD/DVD or meet you somewhere to copy the files.
Old May 9th   #11
sok07
sok07
has no status.

Quote:
I'd love it! VIR is one of the tracks I've always wanted to see because of all the times I've heard about it and the few times I've caught segments of races on Speed. Just let me know when you're ready and I can pick up a CD/DVD or meet you somewhere to copy the files.
Roger that. I'll burn all the pics onto a dvd and you can go through them and pic the ones you want to keep. I'll take some notes so you can do a proper write-up on it, or i can take some time to do a write-up on the event.

Forecast for the area calls for rain/storms....so be prepared to see some pretty good full-wet/intermediate weather conditions race action.
Old May 9th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Roger that. I'll burn all the pics onto a dvd and you can go through them and pic the ones you want to keep. I'll take some notes so you can do a proper write-up on it, or i can take some time to do a write-up on the event.
That will work. I'd love for you to do a write-up as you'll know the stories first hand. I can't write much, even from notes since I wasn't there.
Quote:
Forecast for the area calls for rain/storms....so be prepared to see some pretty good full-wet/intermediate weather conditions race action.
That's going to be pretty awesome racing with huge water rooster tails.
Old May 9th   #13
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I would not worry to much about the complaint. Poor girl has been working hard to finally win an event. Congrats to her. I think the real issue would be the "tire" width. You are allowed a fairly wide tire in most classes. I don't personally see this as an issue. Your are not out of spec I don't believe. D stock is allowed a 225 width. I was running a 205 and really noticed the difference. Sliding everywhere. I normally run a 215. Check the rules for the max tire width in H stock. I think it is a 225 width. I would be honored to get beat by old British Iron. I am not sure about the SCCA, but TAC has some freedom to modify the rules in the interest of safety. The newer rims are safer than the vintage stuff.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th   #14
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I mean my g/f tiburon is classified as H stock and it has a 7 inch wide wheel with a 205 tire. I don't see why someone would be complaining..........unless they were scared of you. When I had my CRX some guy keep complaining saying I should be in CSP (aka the miata class) because i was a 2 seater.

I might have to steal the tiburon on day and come beat on it at an event.

Last edited by EvilZ; May 9th at 02:25 PM.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th   #15
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Another question that my g/f brought up when i was at the drag strip this weekend. Is wearing a helmat safe in a car with an air bag???? Just kinda seems like a bad idea after i started thinking about it.
Old May 9th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
Is wearing a helmat safe in a car with an air bag????
I thought about this pretty hard when I was adamant about buying a helmet for daily driving.

In the research I found, a full-face helmet resulted in the jaw bone being broken when the airbag struck it. In an open-face helmet, that problem is solved, but you have a lot more mass hitting the air bag due to the helmet weight. So I don't know what that would do to the airbags.

But then there are cases like when the c6 z06 flipped at the old airport. If the driver didn't have his helmet, he'd have stitches in the top of his head.

I think at high speeds like what you can get to at a drag strip, a helmet is a must. Because at those speeds, the airbags start to lose their effectiveness anyways.
Old May 9th   #17
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

broken jaw vs. scratches.............I like scratches. Plus it seems like a higher speeds it would just hurt you worse with a helmet.
Old May 9th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I'm sure airbags aren't designed to work as effectively past highway speeds, like 90+. This is where the helmet probably makes up for any decreased safety.
Old May 10th   #19
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Good point. The SCCA was considering a rule about this issue awhile back. I don't know what became of it. They were considering requiring an open face helmet when a car is equipped with airbags. I run a full face because I am so beautiful. Ha. No really I got a good deal on it.
Old May 10th   #20
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I found a photo of you (sok07) talking to a driver on pit row at the Indy Grand Prix I forgot about. I shot the photo and was waiting for you to finishing talking and the buzzer went off and we had to clear out. It was on Saturday before the Cont race.

Last edited by Stephen Freeman; May 10th at 07:18 PM.