Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Out and About
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

May 12th 08:00 AM to 07:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Forged Performance, 498 Cobb Parkway South, Marietta, GA 30060

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

So my good friend Richard (ITSFAST) and I hadn't had time to catch up in months. He was looking into getting a new car (as is his usual habit every 6 months, hehe), and had decided on a Mazda Speed3 since it met the requirements of his family as well as being fun. He was going to Marietta to pick it up, so he asked me if I wanted to tag along for a road trip. I quickly said yes as we had never done a road trip before. I also had to go meet the guys at Forged Performance as I was supposed to go there Thursday after the tornados hit here; and they were right down the street from the dealership. Perfect!

We set out of Huntsville around 8am and headed through Scottsboro and then over to 35 to go through the Fort Payne area and then across to catch 75 South. Along the way, we passed through Rainsville, AL and saw the devastation that the tornados caused there.

When we got to the dealership, the car wasn't exactly what Richard wanted, so we went to Forged Performance and Travis gave us the full tour. Richard and I saw more GTRs than either of us had seen in our life, with plates from all over--Wisconsin, Florida, Illinois, and more.

And many of these were getting the works--full 800whp and 1300whp builds by Forged. Sharif, the lead tuner and director of operations had just flown out that morning for some tuning in Dubai.

And there weren't just GTRs, but Subarus, Hondas, Evos, as well as others. I also finally got to meet Alex in person, who is a Forged technician and owns the 650whp 350z in this Fast Five trailer at 0:51:

Alex was going to come out to our Huntsville Fast Five event, but we never had one due to the tornados. But I got to see his car in person, and it is for sale. Alex wants a GTR as he's already maxed out what can be done with the 350z platform.

When I asked Travis about the transmission issues with the GTR, he mentioned how they know the transmissions better than most dealerships, and how it's very stout when built right. It's just not that way from the factory. The transmission is very similar to the BMW SMG and Porsche PDK systems, engaging multiple gears at the same time so shift times are very, very quick. He showed us the container of transmission oil they use in their GTRs that's $800. They also carry a lot of Motul fluids, which is their fluid of choice, even over other brands such as Redline, Amsoil, and Royal Purple.

Travis also showed us some of their own products like their super beefy sway bar endlinks--a must when you plan on upgrading the stock sway bars.

After our visit to Forged, we were back on the road back home. After seeing the traffic when we arrived in Huntsville, we stopped by at Hiley Mazda to see what they had. Kosmo recognized me and wanted me to check out the new A7 as well as a silver r8 convertible coming in the next day. The A7 was quite impressive, combining a lot of the features of the A8 into a more sleek profile. It reminded me of the Porsche Panamera and Aston Martin Rapide.

In the end, Richard ended up buying a Mercedes of all things, lol. But the trip was super-fun and gave us a road trip full of stories that we won't soon forget. Thank you for inviting me Richard! And you've got to show me the new Merc sometime.

Old May 22nd   #2
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

I don't know how I missed this thread, but yes, good times were had.

The road trip was filled with excitement, that's for sure. And Forged Performance was well worth the drive just for their shop tour.

Great pictures!

Here's what I ended up with: Just a tad different from a Speed3, huh?
Old May 22nd   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Different, but nice!
Old May 23rd   #4
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

Yeah, it's been a while since I had a car like this. The closest thing to it was my 7 series.

Here's a few pics I had from Forged Performance. Sorry for the poor quality. (I was right, dang camera phone was on 800x600 instead of 1600x1200...grrrr)

ITSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

How do you like it compared to the 7-series? Your phone didn't do too bad.
Old May 23rd   #6
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Man, I love some GTR's.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd   #7
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
How do you like it compared to the 7-series? Your phone didn't do too bad.
I like the MB much better than the 7. It has plenty of power for a sedan while still getting 27.5 mpg on the way to the office. Not to mention the color...I'm really loving the color.

This is one of the few cars I've owned that needs nothing. It has a fantastic modern look, tinted windows, pano roof, nav, a killer stock stereo (Harman Kardon), decent AMG wheels, and it handles like it's on rails. It doesn't even feel like a sedan.

Samir, hit me up on Thursday if you can. I'm off and we should check out the Mansion at Burritt for those pics.
ITSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Sounds like the car is a rare breed indeed. Sure beats researching mods before you buy the car, lol.

I'll give you a call tomorrow and we'll talk about Thursday. I should be able to do it.