Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

TVR-SCCA Solo II Autocross #3
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

June 5th 08:00 AM to 04:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Milton Frank Stadium, 2810 15th Ave, Huntsville, AL 35805

8:00am - Tech Opens
8:30am - Course Open For Walking
10:00am - Registration - Tech - Course Closes
10:15am - Driver's Meeting (Mandatory)
10:30am - First Car Off

Registration is $35 for SCCA members. Temporary SCCA memberships will be available for non-members.

Autocrossing is a time-based event in which cars race against the clock on a course made of cones. Doesn't sound complicated or exciting, but it is the complete driving experience, allowing you to push the limits of you and your car in a controlled environment.

The Tennessee Valley Region of the Sport Car Club of America (TVR-SCCA) is a sister club to the Twickenham Auto Club (TAC) and the events follow a similar format.

Online registration is available here

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

Well, everything finally fell into place to allow me to autocross my Porsche Boxster that I bought back in 2005. The weather wasn't raining, the autocross was on a Sunday, it was at Milton Frank, the Porsche didn't have any issues going on, and I was able to wake up in time.

But beyond autocrossing the car, the challenge was to also take pictures like I usually would. The event master made special arrangements so that I could do all my runs and still take photos. But it was still a challenge. Mainly because of my shooting position on the course, and not having my Panasonic camera with its 12x zoom prepped from all of yesterday's events. So I didn't get my usual great on-course shots. But you can still see how dramatic the finish could be in some of them.

Alan had both his daughters running the kart, and they ran first. He's been instructing them both in proper driving techniques for many years now.

The youngest one got a little too much oversteer on one of her runs and just turned it into a 360 and kept on going. Her family couldn't have been prouder. Mine flip out if I even make the tires squeak.

Eric gave me a ride in his s2000 and showed me what a fast run felt like in the low 50s. That's what my car is also capable of being in the same class of b-stock. I only got it to the high 50s. I was just happy I broke 60 seconds.

The Boxster is much, much more capable than I ever thought--I drove it 2-3x harder than I ever have before, and I still couldn't find the limits in lateral traction or braking. I was sometimes braking as much as a full second early. The only answer to this is seat time, seat time, seat time. However, it is nice to know that I do own such a beast of a machine. I definitely don't need any more than this. I could only imagine how the twin-turbo 911 that I rented in Dallas a few years back would have been on the course. That was an unbelievable car just driving around town.

It's interesting to compare this first time autocross in the Porsche to the first and only time I autocrossed my c5 Corvette a few years ago. In contrast to the Porsche's limits being impossible to find, the Corvette's traction limits were much easier to find. With the traction control system on, there was very little margin between being at the edge and doing a 180. And with the traction control off, the margin was larger, but it was still hard to stay at the edge without looping it. I got get really good at turning the car around by flooring it and doing a 180, as I spun out almost every single run. Of course, the Corvette's strong point is being a straight-line monster, which it does nicely. That's the Porsche's weak point. But its strong point is curves, which it does ever nicer than I thought. So between the two, I've got nice toys for autocross and drag racing. But only if I get the chance to maintain them and play with them, which I haven't in the last few years. Even though I bought them both in 2005, I've put less than 40,000 miles on them combined.

After the autocross, I drove to Pulaski, TN to figure out where I'm going to photograph and video the cars on the 2011 Hot Rod Power Tour. The tour comes right through downtown on Tuesday, and I don't think the city has a clue, lol.

I forgot how long a full day of autocross was. The additional two hours from registration to the start took their toll on me by the end of the day. See eveyrone next time!
5 members will be attending this event:

Old June 2nd   #2
sychobaby
sychobaby
is not liking the cold weather

I was wondering why this was not posted on here. Thanks, Samir! See you Sunday! I cannot wait to try out my new skills.
sychobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sychobaby View Post
I was wondering why this was not posted on here.
Simple answer--because I'm having to do it. It's really frustrating when the organizations that put on these events don't value the free promotion available via HCS.

If I can get the oil changed on the Porsche, I'll be driving!
Old June 2nd   #4
sok07
sok07
has no status.

little bro and i will be co-driving the speed3 for this session.
sok07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd   #5
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I had kinda sorta planned on this however I had a nasty spill on the lake monday and I ruptured my ear drum. My balance has been a little off since it happened and something tells me slinging around in a car prolly wouldn't be the best idea.

I'm hoping I'll be good to go by the one at the end of the month, however it's going to take it atleast 4 monthes to heal..........so needless to say no more extreme tubing for me this summer.
Old June 2nd   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok07 View Post
little bro and i will be co-driving the speed3 for this session.
I look forward to seeing that battle. Your brother is one great driver!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
I had kinda sorta planned on this however I had a nasty spill on the lake monday and I ruptured my ear drum. My balance has been a little off since it happened and something tells me slinging around in a car prolly wouldn't be the best idea.

I'm hoping I'll be good to go by the one at the end of the month, however it's going to take it atleast 4 monthes to heal..........so needless to say no more extreme tubing for me this summer.
Ouch! I'm glad you're okay though. I'm sure it could have been worse.
Old June 3rd   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Oil is changed, filter is not. Looks like none of the 76m 14-flute cap wrenches could get the casing cover off. I've ordered the official Porsche tool and that should hopefully do it, but that will be next week.

So I'll be running on clean oil and a dirty filter. I hope the engine does hate me too much for that. More fresh oil and a filter change next week. Good thing Napa has the 0w-40 on sale for $4.99/qt.
Old June 5th   #8
sychobaby
sychobaby
is not liking the cold weather

I want to persoanlly thank everyone who assisted me today. I drive the 2007 Blue Convertible Mustang. It turns out that I busted a radiator hose. I do not know if I ran hot because my fan was not coming on or what exactly happen. Needless to say, I also need a new fan. I was extremely impressed with the quickness and readiness of those who came to my need. You guys are awesome!
sychobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I'm glad it was just that. Radio chatter was saying fire! I'm glad you were able to get the car home safe and without incident. Time for some Redline Waterwetter!

I had a blast driving the Porsche at least twice as hard as I ever have. And it still had much more than what I could do as the s2ks were in the lower 50s while I barely broke 56, and I still need to see if that was clean or not. I hope I can do this again soon. I was so happy!!!!
Old June 5th   #10
Y2KTJ
Y2KTJ
make jeep go fast!

yeah, I got a little nervous when I heard the word "fire" over the radio. Despite the.... warm.... weather and registration problems, I think it all went pretty well. I really expected to be chasing a lot more cones than we did.

I'll see if I can do better than dead last place next time though.
Y2KTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Considering you were probably the only one out there that had enough ground clearance to not even touch pointer cones, and that you're time was only 5s slower than me in a $50k sports car, I say you did quite well.
Old June 5th   #12
sok07
sok07
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sychobaby View Post
I want to persoanlly thank everyone who assisted me today. I drive the 2007 Blue Convertible Mustang. It turns out that I busted a radiator hose. I do not know if I ran hot because my fan was not coming on or what exactly happen. Needless to say, I also need a new fan. I was extremely impressed with the quickness and readiness of those who came to my need. You guys are awesome!
Yah! I was meaning to post up here right after the autoX and ask if everything was alright. Good to hear that it's just the hose and fan and everything didn't end up terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KTJ View Post
Despite the.... warm.... weather and registration problems, I think it all went pretty well. I really expected to be chasing a lot more cones than we did.
Must've not worked during the second run group. lol. I'll go ahead and apologize for those that worked during the second group. For some reason I was attracted to those orange cones like a moth to a streetlight. Then again getting plastered the night before and running off of 3hrs worth of sleep didn't help either.

Last edited by sok07; June 5th at 09:11 PM.
sok07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th   #13
EBLiquidprint
EBLiquidprint
Finally sold his truck
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

I really enjoyed the event, I got to ride in a car with one of you and it was a blast. It did take me a minute to dig the seat outta my butt, but it was fun. My son is driving me crazy about wanting to start doing these types of events so maybe we can get his car ready for the next one.
EBLiquidprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok07 View Post
Then again getting plastered the night before and running off of 3hrs worth of sleep didn't help either.
lol, pics or it didn't happen.

Sounds like you had an extra fun weekend--cruise on Friday, show on Saturday, party Saturday night, and then the autocross on Sunday. I guess the only downside was getting beat by your brother in the Speed3
Old June 6th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBliquidprint View Post
My son is driving me crazy about wanting to start doing these types of events so maybe we can get his car ready for the next one.
Even a daily driver is fun. Be sure to bring him to the driving school next year--that will teach him A LOT and save him at some point in his driving career.
Old January 22nd   #16
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes
is happy to be on US soil

Send a message via AIM to 6spd_Hayes
Samir, I cannot believe you went to downtown Pulaski, Tennessee without a local!! That is some risky and dangerous activities!! Just joking, that is my hometown. I used to cruise thru there most every Friday and Saturday night!! My parents, grandparents, and aunt all still call Pulaski home.
6spd_Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

For a second you had me going...I was wondering why it was empty, lol. Very cool! I can't wait to get to those galleries and publish everything I shot that day.

More autocross coverage on the way!