Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Ironman Rallycross
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

June 26th 08:00 AM to 02:30 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Huntsville Speedway, 357 Hegia Burrow Road, Huntsville, Alabama 35803

We set up a temporary course in a dirt field and then take turns sliding around the cones. We have 9 classes that are divided between front, rear and all wheel drive with 3 preparation levels (stock, prepared, and modified) for each. Convertibles require a factory hardtop. Sorry no off road buggies as of yet. Lifted trucks are not allowed either.

WHO:
Any licensed driver can compete. It┤s free to come and watch and ride.

SITE:
Huntsville Speedway
357 Hegia Burrow Road
Huntsville, Alabama 35803

TIME:
08:00 Course setup/tech/registration
10:00 Driver's meeting
10:30 1st car off
2:30 Approximate end time of event

ENTRY FEE:
SCCA members - $30 max
Non-SCCA folks - $35 max
FREE to come and watch
FREE to ride with someone

TYPICAL EVENT FORMAT:
4 timed runs + 4 timed runs. Free fun runs afterwards.
Each run is approximately 1 minute unless we do multiple laps.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

The Ironman Rallycross isn't your ordinary rallycross. It is the final event in a multi-motorsport weekend that challenges drivers to drag race, autocross, and rallycross with a combined total. The coveted Ironman trophy was up for grabs, and it was still anyone's game.

The Huntsville Speedway is a new venue for the Rallycross program after complaints of dust from neighbors at the old venue forced a move. It's actually been used several times in years past when the Speedway was under different ownership.

I got to the event halfway through the first set of runs, which used a good portion of the small dirt go-kart track there. A good number of participants came from all over for this event driving fwd, rwd, and awd cars.

The course was fairly quick with the fastest times breaking 40 seconds. And because of the short course, momentum conservation was more important than all out power.

The sun was blazing pretty, keeping us all pretty warm. Most of the driver's meeting were under some sort of awning to keep us all from melting. The runs were definitely quicker in the first session. In the second session, the course was run the opposite way, and while the speeds weren't as quick, the finish got tricky a few times.

I had to run to another event and couldn't stay for the Ironman presentation but Leon won. So this year, Leon not only won the Ironman with his Rabbit, but also a car show or two. Congratulations Leon!

1 members will be attending this event:

Old February 25th   #2
cletusberontwood
cletusberontwood
has no status.

Nice Samir! - Just placed my order for a metallic 8x10 of #133 of 153.

Excellent photo man! Thanks!
cletusberontwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusberontwood View Post
Nice Samir! - Just placed my order for a metallic 8x10 of #133 of 153.

Excellent photo man! Thanks!
Sweet! It should look awesome in Metallic.
Old March 4th   #4
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Really hope I am back from training buy then.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote