Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old July 1st   #21
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Hmmm...since the Athens cruise-in is a bit loosely organized anyways and it's ending in September and more than likely October will still have good weather, what about we plan for the first weekend in October, assuming that the theater is open then?
Old July 1st   #22
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

I am gain. I tried calling their number, but only got voice messaging, which did not mention how long the outside drive-in will be open for the season. If someone in that area could make contact with them and see, as well if they know we are coming, can get a good car movie playing for us. At least a few years ago we were able to pick from a selection of what we wanted to see. Do not know if they would do that now.
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st   #23
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I go regularly. They are open fairly late in the season. Not sure when they stop. The phone does not get answered until they open in the evenings. The web site is crude, but shows the movies. 5 indoor and one drive inn screen. They are cool people. I usually bring 2 chairs and a cooler fun of water and stuff. I sometimes sneak in a Terry's pizza from Star market in Madison. They never seem to care. They also have a walk up concession stand and restrooms. My only advice is to check the weather before you go. A train always goes by during every movie and some dude on a Harley goes by ever 30 minutes or so. I expect it during every movie. It always happens and adds to the charm.

Last edited by Stephen Freeman; July 1st at 02:52 PM.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st   #24
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
At least a few years ago we were able to pick from a selection of what we wanted to see. Do not know if they would do that now.
It would be awesome if we could choose. I'd choose Fast Five and then Jason can bring the car from the movie to the movie. And I'd bring Mona here and we can look at her while we see her on the big screen at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Freeman View Post
I go regularly. They are open fairly late in the season. Not sure when they stop. The phone does not get answered until they open in the evenings.
Hey Steve, would you mind talking to them the next time you're out there and see if they're open the first Saturday in October? And also if they can play a movie we want like Fast Five?

Last edited by Samir; July 1st at 04:30 PM. Reason: fixed runon sentance
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st   #25
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
^ I'm game. We should make something like this a monthly thing that way more and more people can get to go and pretty soon we have a bunch of people going. I know they might be limited on space but I think it would still be fun. Bring the past into the present with new school cars doing something that used to be done in the 70's. I know there would be a lot of classics doing this too which even makes it better. You realize how many heads would turn seeing something like that .
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st   #26
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTeZ View Post
We should make something like this a monthly thing...
I think that would be too much. It is more expensive than a regular cruise-in, and we still have the economic situation to think about.
Old July 1st   #27
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

True. I really try to hard I think. I just enjoy the fact of everyone being able to hang out and do something like this. Plus I figure one of these days I will say something that will be a break though if I keep making suggestions lol.
Old July 1st   #28
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Doing the drive-in movies once a month during the months that they are open for the season for us cruisers would not be any more expensive than attending some of these car shows that want $20 & $25 entry fee, then 50/50 tickets, food & drinks. And I would much rather do the drive-in thing, hang out in the evening with car friends and others that enjoy cars, than any day event when the temperature is in the 90s. I am all for it and would be there every month.

This would be a good way to keep our local drive-in in business and open for us now and for others for years to come. We should not let drive-in theaters disappear forever. When do we start???
Old July 1st   #29
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

Find out what times they are open and get an address so people can map it then we can go from there . I don't even have a clue to where it is. My only problem is the only day I have off is Tuesdays. Sundays I get off at 8pm which is the earliest I get off work. rest of the week I don't leave till around 9 or 10 pm .
Old July 2nd   #30
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Here is their website: http://www.cinemagictheatre.net/

I will get the information on what days per week that the drive-in is operating, as well as when they open and close for the season. Then we will put something together for at least once this season, maybe more.

Whoever started this, which I believe was Steve & Cindy's emails about a week ago for the Sand Mountain Drive-In this past Friday, going to Cars 2 - thanks. Another fun activity that we should not forget exists for us car friends.
Old July 2nd   #31
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Here is their website: http://www.cinemagictheatre.net/

I will get the information on what days per week that the drive-in is operating, as well as when they open and close for the season. Then we will put something together for at least once this season, maybe more.
The first weekend in October would be idea as the Athens Cruise-In will end that month and leave people hanging if the weather is still good. We could literally cruise the square and then head to the drive-in!
Old July 2nd   #32
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

email from drive-in:

"The drive-in is open every day of the year. The gate open time and movie start time do adjust with the season based on when the sun goes down for the season. Currently the gate opens at 8:00pm and the show starts at 8:30pm. The movies that play at the drive-in are decided on a weekly basis so any advance notice can only be received on our website. The drive-in holds 80 cars."

So if we plan something monthly, all year long - depending on the weather, of course - when is the best day of the week for most? Me personally, I like Friday evenings because there are not that many cruise-ins on Friday, and many of the ones on Friday are small - do not affect most of us. Of course, during the weather months it would be good on a Saturday. I am sure that the drive-in would start say around 5 or 6, as soon as it gets dark enough.

If this is a go, then when I get back with them, and if we can anticipate the number of rides that may turn out, we just may be able to get some sort of discount - maybe. I will ask. My family has had connections with the owner in the past.

The times several years back that our group attended, we did get a discount as long as we had a certain number of rides that drove in together. The majority of us meet at the gate at least 45 minutes or so to be up front and let them know.

So if this is something that you all want to do, and if all do not mind, I could do the communication between everyone. Knowing that Samir has his plate full already. Thanks, Marsha
Old July 2nd   #33
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

I work till 10 pm on Fridays. I'm a tattoo artist so I really have to be here on Friday and Saturday. I have an odd day off which is Tuesday. But once we get a set date and time on what we are going to do I can try to get in on that. I'm sure the wife would love to be a part of this.
Old July 2nd   #34
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
email from drive-in:

"The drive-in is open every day of the year. The gate open time and movie start time do adjust with the season based on when the sun goes down for the season. Currently the gate opens at 8:00pm and the show starts at 8:30pm. The movies that play at the drive-in are decided on a weekly basis so any advance notice can only be received on our website. The drive-in holds 80 cars."

So if we plan something monthly, all year long - depending on the weather, of course - when is the best day of the week for most? Me personally, I like Friday evenings because there are not that many cruise-ins on Friday, and many of the ones on Friday are small - do not affect most of us. Of course, during the weather months it would be good on a Saturday. I am sure that the drive-in would start say around 5 or 6, as soon as it gets dark enough.

If this is a go, then when I get back with them, and if we can anticipate the number of rides that may turn out, we just may be able to get some sort of discount - maybe. I will ask. My family has had connections with the owner in the past.

The times several years back that our group attended, we did get a discount as long as we had a certain number of rides that drove in together. The majority of us meet at the gate at least 45 minutes or so to be up front and let them know.

So if this is something that you all want to do, and if all do not mind, I could do the communication between everyone. Knowing that Samir has his plate full already. Thanks, Marsha
Great work Marsha!

I think planning something all year long will have very small turnouts. There's a lot of different things to do on any given weekend. I think a yearly "Night at The Drive-In" event at each of the local drive-ins that give us a discount would be the best. Remember, there's nine drive-ins that are within 70 miles, five of them within the North Alabama area.

This way, we don't get bored going to the same place, and it's still special because it is only once a year per location. I think we could easily pack out the house in Athens if we did it this way. And we'd have to make flyers and put it out there like an event to guarantee 50+ cars showing up.

As far as the day, I personally like Friday night, but Saturdays would be a nice change from a regular cruise-in. And with so many cruise-ins in the area, I think there's enough cars out on a Saturday night that would go to a drive-in instead.
Old July 2nd   #35
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

Well we come up with a date I can make the fliers. Take some of it off of you Samir. Just give me details and I'll make it happen .
Old July 2nd   #36
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

The drive-in stated that they will have Cars 2 in the drive-in in about 2 weeks. I will check their web site daily to see when it starts. At this time, we would prefer a Friday night cruise-in. And since we have not seen Cars 2 yet, will wait for the drive-in to show it. Will keep all posted. Maybe Friday, July 29th, the 5th Friday of this month. Nothing going on that I am aware of at this time.
Old July 2nd   #37
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Sounds good. Any word on a discount for X amount of cars?

Once the date is set it stone, we can add it to the calendar and start getting the word out.
Old July 2nd   #38
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

yep and I can make fliers and hand them out, or give to Samir to hand out at shows if I'm not able to make it. I was going to go to the show tonight but doesn't look like I'm going to make it. Been busy all day long, but that's a good thing tho .
Old July 2nd   #39
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Okay. After we swung by Athens on the Square cruise-in, we headed over to the drive-in to speak with the owner. The owner was not there, but did meet the manager (who I had been emailing with). He stated that to let them know ahead of time, as soon as we know how many would be attending, and he will get with the owner on any discounts or specials, or what they can do for us.

Some Info for Drive-In flyer
Date July 29th
Time 8pm gates open; 8:30pm movie starts - may want to be there at 7:30pm
Location Cinemagic Theatre (Drive-In), 1702 South Jefferson St., Athens, AL
Website for detailed info: http://www.cinemagictheatre.net/
Parking at Drive-In is 80 rides
The sound runs thru your radio, if I remember correctly. May want to bring a portable, battery operated radio if sitting out of your ride. Bring your chairs to be able to sit out together in groups. Please go to the Huntsville Car Scene website and mark that you will be attending. We need to let the theatre know the approximately numbers of attendance ahead of time.

Possibility of Cars 2 playing - but they change movies often - check their web site weekly for current showings - the manager will also let me know

Notes:

If we have lots of rides and get there early, then they will see about opening the gates a little early for us.

Also, the more we have in attendance, there could be a possibility of better discounts/specials.

Even if no discounts/specials this time, good possibilty to set us up for future discounts/specials.

Samir, anything I may have forgot, please let me know. Thanks.
Old July 2nd   #40
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

Ok so this date and time set in stone then?