Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Priceville's Veterans Park Annual Cruise-in
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

August 20th 06:00 PM to 10:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Veterans Park, Hwy 67, Priceville, AL

$10 registration fee; door prizes; 50/50; music

This is the largest cruise-in each year in our area.

More information on this event as it becomes available.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

We arrived a little later than I wanted, but it was a nice drive and it was interesting to see the various people's expression at the Rossion in traffic. When we got to Priceville, I requested for us to be able to just park with the show cars to have easy access to my camera equipment. Not only was it denied, but it was rudely denied. If I was in my own car, I would have turned around and never returned to this event--it was that bad. But since we were in Willie's Rossion, I paid the $10 and then found the event organizers as soon as we parked to get a refund. I have not, nor ever will pay to cover someone's event. Completely covering an event of this magnitude is brutally hard work, and it's beneficial to the event in many ways. If an event disagrees with this, then I don't need to be there. After about 30 minutes of talking with various people, I finally got my $10 back and got to work.

And I had a lot of work in front of me. At 4:30pm, there were over 100 cars already there. I expected a couple of hundred, but thought I'd have enough time for my normal three images per car. I started out doing this until I realized that there were now two more ballfields covered in cars, which would represent another 200-400 cars. There was just not enough time before nightfall, so I switched to a single image of each car. Willie's Fuji S5 Pro camera helped a lot as the light dwindled into the twilight. I walked away with nearly 1000 pictures of the approximately 600 cars there.

I didn't have much time to spend with each car, but the Amphicar captured my attention. I had remembered an old television program about this car, and thought we must have one locally somewhere. Well, we do, and this is the only one in the state of Alabama. The owner had an interesting time registering it. The question he got a lot was, "is it a car or a boat?" And his confusing answer was of course, "both." Finally after some calls to Montgomery, he was able to get the car registered. There were less than 4000 of these made worldwide, and while the specs on speed weren't exactly impressive with a top speed of 70mph on land and 7mph in the water, the ability to simply drive into the water made up for any lost time because of the lack of speed. I'd really like to see a new concept of this vehicle come out--especially for our area where we have water all around us. Of course, I think these already exist with the large 4x4s with huge tires that can float on the water, lol.

It was good to be able to spend some time talking with site visitors and old friends like Fay and Wray, and Brian (97Cobra) and his wife. There was a pretty big turnout of Corvettes from the combination of the Shoals Area Vette Enthusiasts (SAVE) joining some of the Vets with Vettes.

I think the funniest thing I saw was the 'kid leash'. I'm glad they didn't have these back in my day or I would've had a permanent one attached to me. Ask my parents about all the times I got lost at the mall when I was little.

I was able to photograph what I thought was every single car until I returned to the entrance and discovered that there was a large lot of cars there as well, many of which had left. I was so exhausted from the 13hr day that I simply didn't have the strength to go back and get the camera to photograph the cars that were still there. Sorry for missing you guys. I'll catch you next year.
20 members will be attending this event:

Old August 7th   #2
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

This event takes the place of the Steak n Shake cruise in right. I think last year it did anyway??
Old August 8th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

That's correct Clint. If Steak and Shake is listed on the calendar, I haven't revised it yet.
Old August 12th   #4
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Great event. Have had live music / entertainment in the past, as well as food vendors and door prizes. Do not know the ride count in previous years, but filled the baseball fields and then some. Times are from 6pm to 10pm.
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th   #5
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

I found count info from last year. Over 300 rides, since we were number 278.
Old August 14th   #6
LastChance
LastChance

I love this cruise-in and I hate to changed a thread in a ways. Marsha or anyone have you heard about the show where they are giving away a car and a tranny in Priceville on Sept 3rd. I met the guys putting it on and I cannot remeber who they were. I do know that the show kinda last minute but it is for a local soldier that was lost in Afganistan recently. We need to get this up on here pushing. Sorry for the hijack.
LastChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChance View Post
I love this cruise-in and I hate to changed a thread in a ways. Marsha or anyone have you heard about the show where they are giving away a car and a tranny in Priceville on Sept 3rd. I met the guys putting it on and I cannot remeber who they were. I do know that the show kinda last minute but it is for a local soldier that was lost in Afganistan recently. We need to get this up on here pushing. Sorry for the hijack.
Anytime you run into an event that's not on the calendar, please feel free to add it. I actually just posted the event listing from a flyer from the Ardmore show, so mark yourself as attending and spread the word.
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/ca...y=2011-9-3&c=1
Old August 14th   #8
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Anyone doing a meet and cruise to Priceville?
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th   #9
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

I would like to meet and cruise - Ill meet anywhere in the HSV area. I know most people take 565 to 65, but I think there is a way you can get there from south parkway also? Keep me posted
Old August 14th   #10
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

Maybe go all the way down 231, turn right at Lacey Springs on 36 then turn right onto 67 until Priceville, but it's a longer way. Seems like it is at least. Depends on where we meet I guess.

Last edited by dragginbody87; August 14th at 03:34 PM.
Old August 14th   #11
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.

Yeah that is the only way to get there from South Huntsville. It's not really much further if you are already in Huntsville.
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th   #12
iVolkswagen
iVolkswagen
Kraft Durch Freude

I'm down for a cruise-in. I live in the Morgan City area, but I'll meet up to cruise if enough people want to.
iVolkswagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I'll be heading out from University Drive at Landers Chevrolet, but I'm willing to meet up with anyone that's going early. I need to get there early as there's going to be 100 cars there by 5pm.
Old August 14th   #14
iVolkswagen
iVolkswagen
Kraft Durch Freude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I'll be heading out from University Drive at Landers Chevrolet, but I'm willing to meet up with anyone that's going early. I need to get there early as there's going to be 100 cars there by 5pm.
Wow! Crazy. This is the first time I've heard of/ gone to this show. I can't wait! Hopefully we can get a caravan going, to be there early.
iVolkswagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVolkswagen View Post
Wow! Crazy. This is the first time I've heard of/ gone to this show. I can't wait! Hopefully we can get a caravan going, to be there early.
Oh, I'm expecting 400. And that only gives me less than a minute with each car before sunset. It's HUGE. Bigger than most car shows in the area, and probably the biggest cruise-in. Although they charge, so I consider it to fall into the 'car show' range. I define cruise-ins as being free registration.
Old August 16th   #16
Bucky67
Bucky67
has no status.

I live like a mile from the park, so I'll definitely be going. Not only that, but I plan on trying to attend the car show at Landers as well. We'll see.....

I would say that last year was a good turn out considering it rained on us a tad; the year prior was pretty big, over 400 cars showed up to that one.
Bucky67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #17
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

I see where we have had 3 total cruise in's cancelled so everyone can attend this event. I am busy saturDAY, but will see everybody at Priceville around 5 ish
Old August 17th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Four if you include the VW cruise-in. Should be a great time!
Old August 17th   #19
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

We have a licensed collector car appraiser coming to Priceville on Saturday. Anyone else need a new or updated appraisal? For insurance purposes or any other reason. Let me know and I will send him your way while he is there.

I have just been questioned why? One point is that our Chrome insurance policy asked for one if you want to insure your classic or collector ride for over $24,999; under that is agreed value. Second, I want documentation that will hold up with an insurance claims department and/or in court if someone else damages or totals our rides.
1969 Ford Mustang 428 Cobra Jet
and for fun:
2016 Polaris Slingshot
http://noalcarcalendar.mysite.com/
Old August 17th   #20
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

Anyone gonna meet at a certain time and ride down?