Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old July 5th   #1
Quincy
Quincy
needs to get back in the gym

Question Sway Bars and Strut Braces

I just want to know how effective they are and how hard are they to install. Are they worth the money??
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #2
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

The simple answer is yes for a good one. But unless you autox a lot and have been doing it, its really not. To me anyway.

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #3
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

I can tell a difference with the new rear sway bar. Makes the car feel tighter and more together. I haven't installed the front yet but I suspect it will feel different too.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

For strut tower braces, I've felt it on some, and not on others. Since you are just bracing any additional flex in the chassis, it depends on how much the chassis flexes. Now, one thing I've learned is that even if they don't make a difference, they can prevent chassis flex as a car ages. My brothers Altima has more chassis flex than mine ever did, and I corner twice as hard as he ever did.

Sway bars always make a difference. Even just changing bushings and endlinks can make a big difference. But you'll have to get used to the new handling. You may have more oversteer that you're not ready for, as that's that most bars introduce as they try to get the handling 50/50.
Old July 5th   #5
Quincy
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
For strut tower braces, I've felt it on some, and not on others. Since you are just bracing any additional flex in the chassis, it depends on how much the chassis flexes. Now, one thing I've learned is that even if they don't make a difference, they can prevent chassis flex as a car ages. My brothers Altima has more chassis flex than mine ever did, and I corner twice as hard as he ever did.

Sway bars always make a difference. Even just changing bushings and endlinks can make a big difference. But you'll have to get used to the new handling. You may have more oversteer that you're not ready for, as that's that most bars introduce as they try to get the handling 50/50.
Ok. That is helpful information. I changed out the stock springs on the front end, but left the stock on the back. Now when I drive the car say over 90, the ride feels wierd. It doesn't feel like it is out of control, but it's not all that smooth either. I don't know if this is just the result of changing the front springs or there is something else I need to modify in the suspension?
Old July 5th   #6
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

What type and model of car are we talking about. What type of springs. Lowered or a big change in spring rates.

Last edited by Stephen Freeman; July 5th at 02:58 PM.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #7
cLc
cLc
is fighting the man~!
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to cLc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Ok. That is helpful information. I changed out the stock springs on the front end, but left the stock on the back. Now when I drive the car say over 90, the ride feels wierd. It doesn't feel like it is out of control, but it's not all that smooth either. I don't know if this is just the result of changing the front springs or there is something else I need to modify in the suspension?
It's because the spring rates are difference. I'm assuming you did springs and not coilovers. OEM springs are made to have a comfortable ride. So what is probably happening is that the rears are travelling further and are alot softer than the fronts making it seem like the rear might be a little disconnected from the rest of the car, especially after switching to lower tighter springs. Changing the rear spring will fix the issue.
cLc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It's not a good idea to mix and match various suspension components that are meant to work together. You can actually make your car very hard to control. I'd switch back to a matching set of springs immediately.
Old July 5th   #9
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Ok. That is helpful information. I changed out the stock springs on the front end, but left the stock on the back.
WHY on earth would you do this?!?!?!?
Old July 5th   #10
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
I wondered the same thing

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #11
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I was heading in that direction also.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #12
Quincy
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Freeman View Post
What type and model of car are we talking about. What type of springs. Lowered or a big change in spring rates.
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R. I put eibach lowering springs on the front.
Old July 5th   #13
Quincy
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
Listen guys, I really wanted an SE-R so I bought one. Unfortunately, the stance on the altima was ugly and I wanted to lower the front end. If I would have used the lowering springs for the back end, I would have ended up with the same stance I had before. High front end, low back end. I am really just learning about all of this stuff, so that's why I ask questions. I didn't think that I was going to get ridiculed for ignorance.
Old July 5th   #14
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

My Sentra was that way. You'll have to do coilovers to get the stance you want and proper handling. Or slam it with airbags.
Old July 5th   #15
Quincy
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
My Sentra was that way. You'll have to do coilovers to get the stance you want and proper handling. Or slam it with airbags.
So just do coilovers front and back?
Old July 5th   #16
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

Yep yep. That's the easiest way to go adjustable and get a really good ride. A full set of Tein Basic start around $800 or so I think. Sometimes it varies greatly by seller, so shop around.
Old July 5th   #17
Quincy
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
Yep yep. That's the easiest way to go adjustable and get a really good ride. A full set of Tein Basic start around $800 or so I think. Sometimes it varies greatly by seller, so shop around.
Ok man. Thank you much. That will be my next big investment cause the ride drives me crazy. I appreciate your help.
Old July 5th   #18
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

I've noticed a lot of Nissan sedans sag in the back for some reason.
Old July 5th   #19
cLc
cLc
is fighting the man~!
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to cLc
It is kind or ridiculous that people are hazing over a question asked. Not everyone is an expert on cars guys, come on now.

Fair warning on ordering from Tein, it takes FOREVER to get anything from them. Depending on what your budget is will depend on coil overs and what you want them for, if you are just looking for stance and still have a comfortable ride you have a bunch of options. Check out Megan racing, their products have been getting better and better, they are pretty quick with getting product to you and have awesome customer service (from the reseller/dealer side at least).
cLc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #20
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLc View Post
It is kind or ridiculous that people are hazing over a question asked.
Does that mean we can't seran wrap him to the tree now?