Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old July 5th   #1
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

How often do you change your synthetic oil?

I am going to be switching from a synthetic blend to a full synthetic Saturday.. I'm goin to go with the pennzoil ultra synthetic..how often do I need to change the oil? I drive mostly highway from scottsboro to Huntsville.. I have read you can go up to 10,000 but I will need to change oil filter every 5,000 miles.. I was just planning on changing every 7,000 and change filter every 3,500 ..one more question, what is a good oil filter? I'm thinkin mobil one.. I couldnt find a thread here on synthetic oil, thanx
cheesepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #2
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
Well my Cobalt is required to have Synthetic oil. It also has Mobile 1 on the oil cap. My car also has a read out saying what percent I have left on my oil, like right now I'm sitting at 60%. I don't let it get below 40%. I changed the oil last in March at roughly around 85k. I'm at 88k now. (I do a lot of driving, way too much!). Plus I don't like Pennzoil lol. Only oil I ever use is Mobile 1, Castrol or Royal Purple. BTW what kind of car you doing the oil change on?
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #3
200sxsermatt
200sxsermatt
shift denied!

depending on type of car, motor, driving conditions, ect...most oils don't start fully breaking down til 4000-5000, not 3000 like most recommend...any performance mods also should be taken into consideration...like nitez said, i too am not a fan of pennzoil...parafin based oil (quaker state too) can cause build up in the motor...seen this happen to a friend of mines straight six in his jeep cherokee...used pennzoil since it was new...6 years later we put a valve cover gasket it on...pulled off the valve cover and had almost a solid layer of build up...mobil 1 castrol royal purple or redline would be the way to go...
200sxsermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #4
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Ok now I've put in a lot of research on this to find a verdict about 6 months ago. Upon this I've found many different answers and mainly depends on the car. For instance my Z goes 3750-4k miles on convetional oil only. It is recommended not to use synthetic because it hurts the gaskets and rings in the motor. (don't ask why as I don't remember) General rule of thumb is (also depending on what makes you feel ok) is 3k on conventional and 6k on synthetic. Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol are all great oils. For synthetic I would recommend Mobil 1 as in my research they do seem to have the best results on preventing engine wear and are the pioneer on synthetic ahead of the others. With that said, they will all do the job. The filter is the main problem usually and never ever use Fram. It sucks horribly.

Racing your car, weather, etc can play a key role in it also. General driving is read above again lol.

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I found this a while back when researching oil breakdown:
http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

I've found that you need to know your motor to know when it's due. I listen for the cams. If they sound a bit noisy, then there is either low oil or the viscosity isn't right. If it sounded fine when I put in fresh oil, the oil is worn. Filters make a big difference too. I stick with factory filters on all my cars except when running Amsoil. Then I use their filters.

Extended drain--done it in major ways. I see 20k easily using Amsoils synthetics. Just remember to listen for any excess noise so you know if you need to change it early.
Old July 5th   #6
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

My Cobalt is the only car I have ever ran Synthetic in and that only cause it's a supercharged GM Performance motor. It is required to run full synthetic in these motors. now the 2.2 or 2.4 Ecotecs I don't think it matters. So yeah just my car and bad's car run completely different for oils. Key to working on any vehicle: Research, research, research!! Get on different sites and read about your car. Every car I get I research and find out everything I can. Only thing you don't find out doing this is if the car is a POS or not cause it's all in the upkeep and how you treat your car pretty much.
Old July 5th   #7
cLc
cLc
is fighting the man~!
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to cLc
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ <- should answer any and all question. Absolutely amazing site with TONS of info on a million different parts of oil. The forums are pretty good as well. I don't think I've ever had an oil question that was not already answered on this site.
cLc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Very good link. He's very reputable on everything related to oil.
Old July 6th   #9
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

NiteZ , oil is goin in a 2006 Lincoln zephyr (mkz) , it's got a v6.. I did some research on bob the oil guy website before I posted here and the pennzoil got alot of good reviews.Alot of people were switching from mobil one to pennzoil because there oil was just as clean after using pennzoil compared to mobil one, and the pennzoil is cheaper for the same protection. It's like gas, everyone has there favorite product!
Old July 6th   #10
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

^this is true. I was just stating what I use. Only thing is if you read what Matt stated, the oil might be as clean after use, what you have to watch for is the build up that is in the motor. If you feel fine with using Pennzoil then go with it. We just trying to give you helpful advice . There's always a reason why something is cheaper, cheaply made, not as good, ect. Just keep that in mind.
Old July 6th   #11
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I personally run Mobil One with a Mobil One filter. I use the 15k mile oil but normally end up changing every 6 months with normally equals about 6k miles (atleast on the blue vette) and it's always looked very clean. I changed the oil on my Z06 when i first got it and it's creaping up on 6 months but only about 4500 miles. The oil still looks pretty clean but i'll more then likely go ahead and change it. The way i see it is changing the oil to often is kinda like cheap insurance for the life of the motor.
Old July 6th   #12
ray
ray

On my Evo I run factory fill Mobil 1 10w-30 with an OEM filter. I change every 3,000-3,500 miles as per the manual.
Old July 6th   #13
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

My Cooper runs full synthetics. Oil change is recommended every 15000. I cut it in half and change it at 7500. I have been running Castrol 10 W 30 as recommended on the top of the oil cap. 130,000 trouble free miles. My Honda S2000 runs normal oil and it is always super clean. The car has 115K miles. I was wanting to run Mobil One. Most Honda owners do this. But after 115K miles I cannot decide if a switch is the right choice. Any thoughts.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th   #14
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Had a 99 Prelude I bought with 112kish miles on. Put Vavleoline high mileage in it every 3k till 160k and it never had to go to a shop for anything but normal maintenance.

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Freeman View Post
The car has 115K miles. I was wanting to run Mobil One. Most Honda owners do this. But after 115K miles I cannot decide if a switch is the right choice. Any thoughts.
The main concern about switching to synthetics from mineral is sludge buildup on seals. If there is build-up, the detergent action of synthetics can clean that off and expose dried seals which can cause them to leak. But if you take off the valve cover and it looks clean, you can bet everything else is too, and can switch without worry.
Old July 6th   #16
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTeZ View Post
^this is true. I was just stating what I use. Only thing is if you read what Matt stated, the oil might be as clean after use, what you have to watch for is the build up that is in the motor. If you feel fine with using Pennzoil then go with it. We just trying to give you helpful advice . There's always a reason why something is cheaper, cheaply made, not as good, ect. Just keep that in mind.
I thank all of you for your advice! That's why I love this website. I probably will go with mobil one .
Old July 6th   #17
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

One of the comments I saw on an oil thread somewhere said that Mobil 1 was thinner and caused more rattle on startup than Penzoil Platinum. I'll try to locate the thread. I run Penzoil Platinum in the Z. Also always ethanol-free 93.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th   #18
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

I think this was one of the threads:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...s-results.html
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th   #19
cLc
cLc
is fighting the man~!
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to cLc
I will be running ALL redline and Motul fluids in the Nissan once it's done.

For my other cars I go with Mobil 1 or Castrol full synthetic.
cLc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I moved the ethanol free-discussion to this existing thread on the topic:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=3860