Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Post pictures, videos, and other stuff to look at

Old July 13th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The Terrafugia Transition - That Car is Flying!

It's the most modern attempt at merging planes and cars:

http://www.terrafugia.com/aircraft.html

But it's not the first time someone has tried this. The one that got me excited about the concept was the Moller M400:

http://www.moller.com/index.php?opti...d=49&Itemid=57

Cruising at 275mph makes a lot of sense for a business person like my dad that has to go to Florida or Atlanta on a regular basis. While driving to Atlanta and back the same day isn't feasible, flying in the Moller would be.

AndMoller is about to take the flying car concept to the next level with their Autovolantor:

But a flying car isn't a new idea. It's actually been around as long as the car itself, as Henry Ford was toying with the idea of personal aircraft until a crash stopped development. Over the years, there's been over a 100 efforts at making a flying car reality:
http://www.roadabletimes.com/alphalisting.html

The idea even has it's ties to right here in Alabama!

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2011/...-over-traffic/

But there's the disadvantages too. Which is the basis of Donald Kenney's extensive article--"Why You Don't Have a Flying Car in Your Garage".

I think the cool factor of the idea of flying and driving will probably never be shaken from the imagination. So I leave you with an article on "Six Cool Flying Cars".

So which one is your favorite and what would you be buying if you could?

I just need one that can convert from 100mph car caught speeding to plane that's in the sky that can't be caught from the ground. But I guess that's when an F16 will come give me a radar lock.
Old July 13th   #2
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
Only thing I see an issue with is the wings. They would have to fold up or hide some how for road operation. I think if they took the physics of the Harrier it would be easier. Only problem with this would be weight. The amount of power you would need to make it move you might as well just keep it in the air. My honest opinion is I hate flying! I'd rather stay on the ground, no matter how long it took to get some where. They make a flying car, I'll be happy to stay on the ground and not deal with all the people that can't drive on the road that probily can't drive any more in the air lol.
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTeZ View Post
...I'll be happy to stay on the ground and not deal with all the people that can't drive on the road that probily can't drive any more in the air lol.
Yeah, there was one article I read where they were saying that this was a really bad idea as the people that are texting and driving will now be texting and flying.
Old July 13th   #4
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
that is true. Unless you have a complete auto pilot feature there is no freakin way! Plus to fly I'd think they would have to take a course in avionics? which would be complicated for most motorist. Some can't even pump their own gas or check their oil, what would happen if you didn't do a "pre-flight" inspection? Actually now that I said that, I'm going to get a boat and just live on the water if this ever happened. Cars would be falling out of the sky all the time. Yeah umm kind of scary actually .
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th   #5
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I would give a new meaning to having your radio stolen.. Aircraft radios are expensive.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote