Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old July 26th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

A City for Car Enthusiasts

I thought about this while at the Huntsville city meeting last week--why not build a brand new city that's built ground-up for car enthusiasts? The laws, the layout, the housing--everything.

The question is where and how? And what would be the essential features of such a city?
Old July 26th   #2
ray
ray

Someone get a hold of Richard Branson for funding. Jay Leno for ideas. And maybe one of those oil tycoon Sheikh's somewhere in Abu Dhabi for the actual city and extra funding.

But that would be very interesting to see in development and action.
Old July 26th   #3
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Hot chicks in race car outfits and knee high boots walking around everywhere.

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD Z View Post
Hot chicks in race car outfits and knee high boots walking around everywhere.
'Car Enthusiast City', not 'Fantasy Island City'.
Old July 26th   #5
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

Danica for mayor ...woo-hoooooo:d
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Isn't there land still out in the midwest you can get for free? Build a huge solar and wind farm out there for power and start with that?
Old July 26th   #7
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

You have to have a drag strip, drift track and road course. Plenty of gas stations and service stations. The air would have to smel like race fuel and burnt rubber at all times.

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The city motorsports park would have to be the center of the city, like the downtown. The other city parks would have grass to house thousands of cars that could park there on the green. In fact, the parking spots themselves would even be a grated concrete with grass growing out of it, allowing greenery and utility at the same time. Race fuel and nitrous would be available along with free air at all stations. Performance fluids would be available everywhere. The city community development centers would have courses on changing oil, transmissions, engine overhauls and more. Every Saturday night is cruise night through downtown where designated cruise lanes like HOV lanes would allow cruisers to just coast and enjoy the scenery. Can't think of anything more right now...but keep feeding me ideas!
Old July 27th   #9
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

This is like a basement scene from That 70s Show.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
This is like a basement scene from That 70s Show.
lol.

I'm actually serious about this. I mean, the only thing that really holds me to this area is the car scene and my parents living close by. But once they're gone, I'll probably move.

So I was thinking where I want to move to--it would have to be a great car enthusiast city. And then someone told me about Toyota City in Japan, and I thought why not build a city ground-up for car enthusiasts in the USA? I mean, how hard could that be?
Old July 27th   #11
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
If this happened, you do realize everyone in this city would not be married? Any of us that are married would get divorced day 1 lol!.
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #12
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

I don't think it would be hard, just take more money then any of us have. If you do move Samir let me know where, I'll probily follow. Me and the wife have actually been thinking of moving to the out skirts of Las Vegas. Still out in the air tho. Plenty of desert out there to actually do something like that tho .
Old July 27th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The funny thing is that I don't think it will take any more money than starting up any other city. And if you make it a mecca for car enthusiasts, I'll have an entire city of 100,000 people in no time.
Old July 27th   #14
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

Well I'll tell ya what, let's fine out exactly what it's going to take and how to go about doing it. Of course you'd be mayor by popular vote lol. I can help design everything. Don't we get state funding to build up the city?
Old July 27th   #15
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

I have actually been trying to look this up for the past 30 minutes and can't find anything on how to actually go about it. I keep finding RPG games and walk throughs lol.
Old July 27th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It's probably not going to be easy to find the information since cities aren't started all the time.

But what I'm more interested in at this point is how the city would be. Then I'll figure out the feasibility.
Old July 27th   #17
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

There are more than a few ghost cities in China that are fully built with no one living in them. I guess that would be quite a ways to move though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ely-empty.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/chine...-cities-2011-5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPILhiTJv7E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=widrX8EQdu8
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #18
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

Yeah I don't want to move to China. If I'm going to move out of country it will be Ukraine. That is where my family is from and I want to visit the motherland some day lol. Now if we can do this in the USA some where I'm fully game. As long as I can open a tattoo shop there lol.
Old July 27th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Interesting. The Australian report reminds me of the condos at the Westin.

I was thinking more of finding some place in the midwest where there are still homesteading and government incentives in place. Then make an oasis for car enthusiasts including things like a private autobahn.
Old July 28th   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

So imagine these ideas:
http://www.kare11.com/video/default....s/958137284001
http://www.autobahncc.com/membership.html
http://www.motorsportranch.com/villas.cfm

Combined with the city design experience here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_plan

A city for car enthusiasts of all class levels that treasure their automobile. Every residence has a garage to house at least one car per person. The streets are meticulously maintained. Every housing area has an available garage for rent as well as additional storage for cars. Roundabouts are used everywhere except the straight roads of the 'drag district' where at night barriers close off the streets for drag racing using the regular street lights. Similarly, there are areas for circuit racing in the city as well as drifting as well as the 'autobahn loop' that circles the city. The economy would be supported by the maintenance requirements of the automobiles and the jobs created by that work. It would have to be at least 50/50 so the money being spent would be the same as that coming in.

A lot of experts in all areas of urban development would be needed for feasibility studies, and I'm sure there would be some serious challenges to overcome. But everything starts with a dream...