Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself here!

Old August 10th   #1
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

A new direction

Hi. My name is Gary

Found out about HCS when I went to view shots Samir had taken of the first AutoX I had ever done this spring.

Been car crazy since I was an infant. My dad loved American muscle cars and I caught it from him. From the early 60's till early 70's there was a continual stream of muscle cars he would bring home, only to have my mom nag about having groceries fly around as she would inadvertently burn rubber with each one. When I was 17, I was able to save to purchase a low low mileage 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix, with the 425A options including the 3-2 Bbl carbs. The first time I heard the 389 wide open, under my control, there was no looking back.

I have owned the entire spectrum of American muscle cars, British sports cars, BMW's, Turbo Volvo's, rode a Norton Commando for years, Triumph Tiger & Bonneville bikes, a couple of 3-cyl 2 stroke Kawasaki Mach III's, always a dirt bike or two around, and then there were the snowmobiles…

Current vehicles -

2009 Mercury Grand Marquis, my wife's daily driver. Probably not another one like it around.

Combination of Police Interceptor (CVPI) parts and aftermarket suspension/engine parts.
KYB-CVPI shocks, ADDCO 32mm/28mm sway bars, ENS bushings, Metco billet control arms and watts link in the rear, Shelby GT 500 wheels with F1 Supercar tires, Stillen Motorsports rotors with Hawk HPS pads, ported intake, AFE cold air, Hyper tech programmer/tuner running 93 octane tune.

And, the new toy. 1987 BMW 325e. Work in progress.

Last edited by Samir; August 11th at 01:15 PM. Reason: fixed image links :)
G_Horneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th   #2
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

My links... are not
Old August 10th   #3
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

The Grand Marquis cracks me up. What a fun looking car. I was watching you and your wife at the driving school. That car is way cool. Reminds me of the Burt Reynolds car from the movie White Lighting. If it just had a stick shift.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th   #4
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

My wife needed a car that her handicapped mom could get in and out of. Plus, it had to have room to slide a wheelchair in. Not a lot of options that were fun in any way. I was NOT going to be involved with a MiniVan (although I have seen some wicked fast modified ones). A one year old Fleet model GMQ is light (4034 lbs) and it was $15k. Car will last forever as it only sees 6k a year. She learned how to drive it fast, and it handles like no big car should.
Old August 10th   #5
Randaricer
Randaricer
getting ready for autox on sunday in Nashville!

Very cool!! Welcome to the site
Old August 11th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Welcome Gary! It was great talking to you the other day. You should also post some pictures of the Volvo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
My links... are not
I fixed them. Seems like for flickr, you actually just link to the photo like a regular web site versus using their 'share' link.

That's a nice camera you have there. The 50D has been on my wish list for longer than I can remember. I can do so much with that camera. I rented a 50D with the extended battery grip and a 2.8 24-70L lens once. It was heaven.

Last edited by Samir; August 11th at 01:18 PM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th   #7
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

I have the Lumix DMC-G10 now Samir. I was just learning the capabilities of it when a new direction came along. I like the way it takes Macro shots. And its raw image quality settings have no compression on them. If I want to compress a shot, that's fine, but I pretty much hate most .jpg algorithms in use.
Old August 11th   #8
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Welcome! Nice rides you've had there!

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I have the Lumix DMC-G10 now Samir. I was just learning the capabilities of it when a new direction came along. I like the way it takes Macro shots. And its raw image quality settings have no compression on them. If I want to compress a shot, that's fine, but I pretty much hate most .jpg algorithms in use.
That's a fantasic camera as well. The Panasonic DMC-FZ20 is one of my workhorse cameras, and I'm very impressed by what Panasonic delivers in their consumer line. A lot of bang for the buck. It would be nice if the cameras started using some of the lossless compression formats out there. jpeg is well used, but its lossy qualities can be quite apparent at times.

Last edited by Samir; August 11th at 02:24 PM. Reason: grammar
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th   #10
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!

Welcome to HCS! I was in the same group as you and your wife at driving school, I'm the kid that was in the 95 Mustang GT!
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th   #11
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I was really surprised by the speed of that old 325e. I use to have one and could never drive like that. Of course it was the ex wife's hand me down.

Last edited by Stephen Freeman; August 13th at 01:56 PM.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th   #12
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Thanks Stephen. Coming from an experienced driver like you, that is quite the compliment. The Dinan chip, TB and intake from and "i", along with the free flow muffler woke the sleepy eta engine up. Its still running its original economy, open rear end. A 3.73 locker is on its way and I should have it in by the TAC6. That should really wake it up. Of course, it will force me to use 3rd gear all the time, which means I have to rebuild the shifter now. Hopefully by October I will have a Z3 1.9 steering rack modified and ready to slide in.

Last edited by G_Horneck; August 14th at 08:54 AM. Reason: Fingers don't work in the am
G_Horneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #13
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Been trying to figure out a constant miss, or lope, in the idle/low speed side of the 325e. Acted like a worn cam lobe or two, which should not happen with only 188k. Pulled it all apart, and checked the valve lash, again. Right on cold specs. I had inspected the timing belt way back when I started this project in May, it looked rather new. Inspected... what a dummy! I should have just changed it. I had the belt and new tensioner, but its a messy time consuming job. I did it today. The PO had the cam belt off by 3 teeth. That would make a constant miss. I lined everything up, installed new belt, and no miss. Idles much quieter, revs like 40% quicker and pulls really strong. As Felix said "Never assume"
Old August 17th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Been trying to figure out a constant miss, or lope, in the idle/low speed side of the 325e. Acted like a worn cam lobe or two, which should not happen with only 188k. Pulled it all apart, and checked the valve lash, again. Right on cold specs. I had inspected the timing belt way back when I started this project in May, it looked rather new. Inspected... what a dummy! I should have just changed it. I had the belt and new tensioner, but its a messy time consuming job. I did it today. The PO had the cam belt off by 3 teeth. That would make a constant miss. I lined everything up, installed new belt, and no miss. Idles much quieter, revs like 40% quicker and pulls really strong. As Felix said "Never assume"
Awesome that you found the issue! I can only imagine how much power you have now. You may need that LSD more than ever.
Old August 24th   #15
sok07
sok07
has no status.

Pics I took w/ my camera phone from station #2 at ALSCCA#7 morning runs...

sok07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th   #16
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Are there sparks coming off my exhaust center section? Wonder where my exhaust hanger ended up. Must have been on course somewhere. It came off just before the first box @ 50mph. I felt it go and thought I had collected a cone, glanced back in the mirror, saw nothing and floored it.
Old August 24th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It's amazing what camera phones can do these days. Unbelievably sharp considering you were shooting a moving car.