Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

SCCA RallyCross
Calendar: Events Calendar
slowautoxr  
September 10th 08:00 AM to 03:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Huntsville Speedway, 357 Hegia Burrow Road, Huntsville, Alabama 35803

Huntsville Speedway
357 Hegia Burrow Road
Huntsville, Alabama 35803

TIME:
08:00 Course setup/tech/registration
10:00 Driver's meeting
10:30 1st car off
2:30 Approximate end time of event

ENTRY FEE:
SCCA members - $30
Non-SCCA folks - $35

TYPICAL EVENT FORMAT:
4 timed runs + 4 timed runs. Free fun runs afterwards.
Each run is approximately 1 minute unless we do multiple laps.

More details here:
http://www.huntsvillerallyx.org/1.html

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

I arrived just at the tail end of the second set of runs for the day. The weather was perfect and made for some serious fun in the dirt.

Most of the cars out on course had multiple drivers, so the cars were taking a bit of a beating today. But it looks like no one broke anything serious, and all the cars were able to make it home okay.

The course layout allows for some serious sideways action as G_Horneck was displaying in his BMW. Even drifters would have been proud.

Charles had less dust than most of the other cars, and even make the tires squeel on more than one occasion. Now that's some good traction.

After all the timed runs, there were fun runs until an age old problem reared its head again--dust complaints. Apparently a resident nearby called someone about the dust clouds during the fun runs. The fun runs ended, and I don't know how the dust issue can be resolved without wetting the track beforehand or something of that nature. This issue is the same thing that caused use of the Greenbriar site to be discontinued.

So while all this was getting sorted out, we wandered over to the Speedway side of the lot to find motorcycles doing some sort of exercise that included riding on the oval. It was neat to watch them, so I grabbed a few pictures of the riders.

On my way home, I saw a car that I couldn't really recognize, so I had to stop and get a picture. And while I was there, I saw the craziest sign for business hours--so I snapped a picture of that too. Enjoy!
3 members will be attending this event:

Old August 17th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you for the post!
Old September 14th   #3
Leon D
Leon D
has no status.

Onboard video

In case you are wondering what it's like from inside the car while Rallycrossing, I have a video posted on you tube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2h6rOne9mY

Two views from 2 runs.
Leon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

That's an awesome video Leon! I can't believe how fast it is inside the car. You can't tell much of the course as a spectator, but it's laid our pretty clearly as a driver.
Old September 15th   #5
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Great sequence of shots you have of me flicking the car, then steering with the throttle around to the finish Samir. I spent years doing that stuff on dirt roads up in Maine in the 70's. Once the "strap hangers" - the tourists left, right after labor day, there were miles and miles of graded dirt roads that lead to cabins. Deserted. All to play on, for hours and hours till the snow came. Then there were miles and miles of snow covered roads that lead to cabins, to do on Snowmobiles. Till spring... was a tough place...
Old September 15th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
Great sequence of shots you have of me flicking the car, then steering with the throttle around to the finish Samir. I spent years doing that stuff on dirt roads up in Maine in the 70's. Once the "strap hangers" - the tourists left, right after labor day, there were miles and miles of graded dirt roads that lead to cabins. Deserted. All to play on, for hours and hours till the snow came. Then there were miles and miles of snow covered roads that lead to cabins, to do on Snowmobiles. Till spring... was a tough place...
I'm glad you liked them. It was just as fun watching you! Well, you probably were having more fun, lol.

You would have loved playing with us on the snow day in January:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/ca...=2011-1-10&c=1
Old September 15th   #7
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Oh yeah. Playing in the snow with cars, love it. That much snow would bog down a RWD, but with snow tires, that I need to order for the dirt anyhow... Call me next time that happens.
Old September 15th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
Oh yeah. Playing in the snow with cars, love it. That much snow would bog down a RWD, but with snow tires, that I need to order for the dirt anyhow... Call me next time that happens.
Once we had everything matted down, it wasn't bad at all. I'll definitely let you know. It will probably be another 10 years before that type of snow happens again. At least that's the usual pattern. Who knows with all our crazy weather. Just three months after that record snow, the record tornados came.

Last edited by Samir; September 15th at 09:42 AM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote