Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old September 5th   #1
mdb4879
mdb4879
has no status.

Fender Exit Exhaust

Hey, I was thinking of having an exhaust made for one of my cars with it coming out of the front of the driver side fender. Does anyone think I'd run into any issues with getting pulled over because of it or the noise? Idk if I want to do it yet because I might not like the noise and don't necessarily want a black spot on my fender, but i'm considering it cuz I think it'd be pretty cool, I could get a second fender if i got tired of the hole and wanted another exhaust made, and the car is turbo'd so i guess that soaks up a lot of the sound. it has an open down pipe right now and it doesn't seem quite as loud as my DD when I had the cat cut off for a day, and it only makes 70HP.

This car isn't going to be a DD, but i do plan to drive it on the street. i'm mostly in harvest and go into huntsville and madison every so often. i'll be in madison more often in this car cuz i plan on only running that great 93 octane no ethanol gas at the end of hughes road.
Old September 5th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Depends on what type of car/engine. I'd look at a lot of the rat rods if it's a v8 as a lot of them are straight out to the side/top/etc.

The other thing you can do is have a block off plate like they do, or an electric cutout that will divert it to the side at a the touch of a switch.
Old September 8th   #3
mdb4879
mdb4879
has no status.

well, i decided not to go with the fender exit exhaust. after driving the car a little bit it's just too loud. not necessarily the volume of the noise, but it's so low gears you have to wind it up to go anywhere, so it seems like it'll draw attention cuz it always sound like you're going fast.

so anyways, i hate to change the topic, but i want some opinions on what sort of exhaust i should have made. the motor is a stock CA18DET and if the boost gauge is at all accurate then it's running 10psi of boost. ultimately (like in the next year or two) I want to get around 230-250hp (at the crank), but what is best for how the car will drive now supercedes any plans for the future. i want it pretty quiet, but maybe open up a bit once it hits boost. maybe about as loud as an 8th gen civic si, or a little quieter. I was thinking like a 2.5 inch full exhaust from the stock down pipe, no cat, with a 2.5 inch OEM style muffler. would the muffler flow enough for those goals and my current set up? and if so, would that actually be too big and should i go for like 2.25 inch?

I've heard turbo's need some back pressure past the turbo, but idk all the details of how your exhaust is matched to your power goals on a turbo motor, so some input from people with experience in this would be great

thanks
Old September 9th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I have a Greddy SP on one of my Altimas which has the KA24DE. Different motor and different application, but there's some similar principles. The Greddy is a 60mm pipe, which is approximately 2.35" mandrel bent and was good for a boosted Altima with about 220hp in the motor. The stock Nissan cat was almost 3", and someone with a high compression KA back in the early part of this decade even did a test at the drag strip with a test pipe to see if there was any difference and found nothing. His high-compression 10.5:1 KA was making around 210hp in the motor. He also had the Greddy SP.

My suggestion would be to see if you can find a used version of a good Japanese exhaust (like Greddy) for this car. It will have loads of R&D in the design that would take years to replicate and should be good until you go 250hp+. Then because it's a quality product, you should be able to sell it for almost as much as you paid, and get something else more suitable for the higher power.
Old September 9th   #5
mdb4879
mdb4879
has no status.

there really isn't anything like that for this car, or if there is then it's be way to much trouble to go through to find one. i just want to go to an exhaust shop and have one made
Old September 9th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

If it's a s13 240sx, there was more aftermarket support for that car than the Altima, so I'm sure it exists. It may be some trouble, but the funny thing is in the end you're ahead because the exhaust will cost you the same and can be resold for almost what you paid unlike a 'custom' one welded together locally. And you'll never be able to optimize the flow properly with a custom exhaust since you don't have the R&D.

People on Altimas.net talked about how much they saved with their custom exhaust for 1/2 the cost of a Greddy--untill they got one. Then the posts were all about how they wasted money on a custom exhaust and should have gotten a Greddy from the get-go. When it comes to exhausts, there is a lot of 'you get what you pay for'. A custom exhaust for the Altima was around $250 while the Greddy was $650. Big difference in price, big difference in performance. And used is a great way to get these high dollar parts for cheap, and they still retain their value if you want to sell them later.
Old September 9th   #7
mdb4879
mdb4879
has no status.

i guess i forgot to mention this is for a 1987 Nissan Pulsar. If there is one, it'll be hard to find. and the demand would be so low there wouldn't be any resale value. and i'm not really looking at a lot of power, so I figure a custom one should do the trick
Old September 9th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Oh, I forgot. I always think of 240s when I hear the CA since it's such a common swap.

Yeah, I don't think a company ever made one for the Pulsar, especially that old since that was before the 'tuner' culture came about. Even if you could find one, it's going to be one of those rare JDM pieces that's museum expensive.

What I would do is see what the size is of the performance exhausts for other CA-powered Nissans, and then use that as a guideline for dimensions. I'd measure your cat though--the diameter might surprise you. I know it did when I measured it on the Altima.