Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Twickenham Auto Club Autocross #6
Calendar: Events Calendar
sychobaby  
September 25th 08:00 AM to 05:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: John Hunt Park, 2500 Johnson Rd, Huntsville, AL, 35802

8:00am Tech Opens
8:30am Course Open For Walking
10:00am Registration - Tech - Course Closes
10:00am Novice Orientation
10:15am Driver's Meeting (Mandatory)
10:30am First Car Off

Pre-registration for this event is $25.00. $30 day of the event. Pre-register https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/cale...curyearindex=5

Autocrossing is a time-based event in which cars race against the clock on a course made of cones. Doesn't sound complicated or exciting, but it is the complete driving experience, allowing you to push the limits of you and your car in a controlled environment.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

Some really great weather brought out almost 90 entries, which is a large number of participants for John Hunt Park. With 61 seconds being a fast time on the course, there were a lot of runs to be made by a lot of people. But it worked out well.

I woke up a bit later than I wanted and got there about midway through the first run group. Pictures were a bit of a challenge with the clouds basically turning the sun on and off, but I eventually got where I wanted to be.

Sunburn can happen even when the sun is hidden behind clouds, so keeping yourself protected is important. Mark illustrates the type of chiseled body that all autocrossers have under their shirts as he applied his sunscreen.

Yes, we all have bodies like this. No really, we do. Ask anyone that races.

There were some really neat cars out today too, like this kit car:

this v8 Audi R8:

and this very rare Syclone, which stopped by to watch.

ScottB came out in his silver 04 STI for his first autocross, and it looked like he was having a blast out there.

Unfortunately, not everyone had the best time. Sean unfortunately had a slightly off-course excursion with some vehicular damage. Sean is fine, but his car isn't.

I overheard several conversations about this particular part of the course not being as safe as it needed to be, and I agreed. No course is perfectly safe, and no driver is perfect. It's important to be aware for when these elements may meet.

One thing that people need to be more sensitive about at times like this is photography that is an invasion of privacy. It is important to respect the wishes of the injured in times like this. I asked Sean what he'd like me to do photo-wise, if anything. He told me he didn't want to have any photos, anything that would remind him. And I gladly respected his wishes.

But while I asked and respected his wishes, others were taking photos and posting them on Facebook. If this was Sean's dying mother, no one would have been doing that. It's important to respect someone's wishes when they are upset, and if you don't know what they want--ask! I was glad to see him okay, and I think that's where the focus should be rather than on unwanted 'media coverage' from bystanders.

A somber end to an otherwise fun day. See everyone next time. -- Samir
9 members will be attending this event:

Old September 5th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you so much for the post!
Old September 5th   #3
Lstarz14
Lstarz14
is chillin

might try and make it out for this
Old September 5th   #4
sok07
sok07
has no status.

mgb will be present for this TAC. I just have to give it a little tuneup, valve adjustment, and swap the rear leaf springs and it will be good to go. I will most likely have a codriver, so there will be a battle for the win in GP class!

Can't wait to hustle the old car around the track again.

Last edited by sok07; September 5th at 09:59 PM.
sok07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I have to adjust the valves on the Accord to get it back into operation.
Old September 6th   #6
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
I should be able to make it this time .
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th   #7
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTeZ View Post
I should be able to make it this time .

I hope you can make it out. I finally bought a set of tires for the Cooper. That means there will be several in our class besides us. This always makes for fun and strong friendships. I am just Jonesing for speed.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd   #8
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Bump for autocross this weekend. Come early and stay late. Bring your own chairs and cooler. It is free to watch, if anyone is thinking about Autocrossing. If you are nice, you can also grab a ride with someone.
Old September 22nd   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Isn't there also one on Saturday too?
Old September 23rd   #10
EBLiquidprint
EBLiquidprint
Finally sold his truck
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Hey guys, let me tell you about my son and autocross. I like autocross for the thrill of it, but I got my son involved (he was 17 when we started) and he had been getting a few tickets here and there and it worried me. After talking to a few of the guys and getting some rides he was hooked. He drove in a few events and I have to say not only has his driving improved after learning how to control his car, but he hasn't had the tendency to drive fast on the streets. No more tickets since he started, and the guys there are so great in helping out. If you want to get to know how to get a little more out of your car the novice instructor is more than glad to ride with you to tell you things to do to improve.
The bad part is he is about 2 seconds faster than me in his car, but dad's have to give the kids a chance.
http://www.facebook.com/EBLiquidPrint
EBLiquidprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #11
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
Yeah I need my fix! I find myself hitting curvy roads here lately and I know the tickets will be coming soon enough lol. I want to get the wife driving too but she still has to learn how to drive a manual. She knows the gear patterns and when to shift but she hasn't actually sat in the drivers seat. I'm proud of her tho cause she has been watching me and asking questions a lot. .
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBliquidprint View Post
He drove in a few events and I have to say not only has his driving improved after learning how to control his car, but he hasn't had the tendency to drive fast on the streets. No more tickets since he started, and the guys there are so great in helping out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTeZ View Post
I find myself hitting curvy roads here lately and I know the tickets will be coming soon enough...
And let me tell you guys from experience that the tickets are no joke. As me about my most recent day in court when you see me in person. It cost me a week of time I could have used to be working on HCS. So much for saving time by speeding--I'm done doing that.
Old September 23rd   #13
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Samir you bringing the porche out to play again? lol
HPEVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVOX View Post
Samir you bringing the porche out to play again? lol
No chance this Saturday--too much going on. Plus, I'm not going to drive the car hard with the worrysome noise and it being my only driver right now.
Old September 23rd   #15
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
No chance this Saturday--too much going on. Plus, I'm not going to drive the car hard with the worrysome noise and it being my only driver right now.
Ah I see. Was hoping you could race instead of photograph all morning this time.
Just making sure. This is SUNDAY.. correct?
Old September 23rd   #16
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Sunday, Sunday,......Sunday
Old September 23rd   #17
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBliquidprint View Post
Hey guys, let me tell you about my son and autocross. I like autocross for the thrill of it, but I got my son involved (he was 17 when we started) and he had been getting a few tickets here and there and it worried me. After talking to a few of the guys and getting some rides he was hooked. He drove in a few events and I have to say not only has his driving improved after learning how to control his car, but he hasn't had the tendency to drive fast on the streets. No more tickets since he started, and the guys there are so great in helping out. If you want to get to know how to get a little more out of your car the novice instructor is more than glad to ride with you to tell you things to do to improve.
The bad part is he is about 2 seconds faster than me in his car, but dad's have to give the kids a chance.

I remember talking to you and your son at an event. I am glad to hear he is leaning response ability and having fun.
Old September 23rd   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVOX View Post
Ah I see. Was hoping you could race instead of photograph all morning this time.
Just making sure. This is SUNDAY.. correct?
Ugh! I got my days mixed up. Now I just scheduled something that I need to cancel. I'll be there, but not to drive this weekend. I've got too much going on right now and my car isn't in the best shape. But if someone has an automatic car that they'll let me drive for a run, that will get me out on the track. Assuming that I have all the shots I need.

Last edited by Samir; September 23rd at 06:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #19
ScottyB
ScottyB
has no status.

So... I have never participated in an Autocross before but I would like to give it a try this Sunday. Can I just show up?
ScottyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #20
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
So... I have never participated in an Autocross before but I would like to give it a try this Sunday. Can I just show up?
Click the link in the original message to pre register to save 5. Have everything loose out of your car! If not you'll have to lay it in the parking lot lol other than that hope to see you there! I'll be in the red X if you don't know anyone lol