Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old September 27th   #1
Jumpman
Jumpman
put the hard top on for the winter.

STI

Seriously considering selling my Fit and replacing it with an STI wagon. Anyone here know subies well? Wondering what is "the year" to get, if any, or what to avoid. Thanks!
Jumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th   #2
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

the STi wagon has only been available since 2008, before that all STi's were sedans. you could get the WRX in a wagon from '02 to current. in the current body style, there is no "the year" they are all basically the same car. the wheels varied a little year to year, but they wheels can be changed easy enough. the early cars felt faster because the suspension was stiffer and the had less sound deadening. the early '04 cars didn't have a Radio from the factory either. a 2011 STi just broke the record for fastest lap in a production car at the Isle of Man TT vid of it=
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar110951.html
Old September 28th   #3
Jumpman
Jumpman

WOW at the car control in that video! Thanks for that and the info. Good stuff.
Old October 6th   #4
Minichado
Minichado
could use a mental health day

Loved the vid, love the car.. I would love to trade my Fit in for an STI 5door as well, but gas prices are keeping me at bay.. going from 36+mpg with spirited driving to sub 20mpg with spirited driving and premium fuel would do my bank account no good!
Minichado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th   #5
Jumpman
Jumpman

Hahah, I hear ya, but I already am at about 21mpg on premium in my S2k so I guess I'm used to it!

Went to the Huntsville Flat Four meetup last night. Very fun, friendly group. They have a really large group, too, at least in comparison to our little S2k club

A guy has a red 08 sti 5-door in ATL that I think I'll inquire about.
Old October 6th   #6
Minichado
Minichado

oh yea.. as a second car, I'm all for it. I couldn't use an STI as my primary driver right now because of my monster commute. If I wait for a few years I'm sure I could pick one up...

Until then, /sigh
Old October 7th   #7
skibumWRX
skibumWRX
misses Samir

Wanting to give my two cents into this subject. I have owned a 2002 WRX that was stage 3, a 2005 Legacy GT stage 1, and a 2006 STI stage 2. I'm a big fan of Subaru's and still am a little bit, but after doing alot of research I found my self in a 2008 BMW 335i. I can't say enough about the capabilities of the 335. Its specs out just the same as a stock STI and spend about the same amount you would for a stage 2 STI, you'll get a luxury sports sedan that's faster. Driving around i get 29mpg/highway and 23/City on premium. My STI would never touch that. Plus it just rides and feels more solid than the STI did. Just take off any panel in the interior and you already have rattling. Not saying to not get a STI, but research what's out there. The insurance companies try to rape you bc of the crowd the STI appeals too. My insurance rates dropped about 30/month from switching.
skibumWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th   #8
Minichado
Minichado

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibumWRX View Post
Wanting to give my two cents into this subject. I have owned a 2002 WRX that was stage 3, a 2005 Legacy GT stage 1, and a 2006 STI stage 2. I'm a big fan of Subaru's and still am a little bit, but after doing alot of research I found my self in a 2008 BMW 335i. I can't say enough about the capabilities of the 335. Its specs out just the same as a stock STI and spend about the same amount you would for a stage 2 STI, you'll get a luxury sports sedan that's faster. Driving around i get 29mpg/highway and 23/City on premium. My STI would never touch that. Plus it just rides and feels more solid than the STI did. Just take off any panel in the interior and you already have rattling. Not saying to not get a STI, but research what's out there. The insurance companies try to rape you bc of the crowd the STI appeals too. My insurance rates dropped about 30/month from switching.
Do you often drive in situations or moods in which the difference in AWD and RWD would be apparent, relevant, or affect your capabilities?

Out of curiousity.
I would love a RWD for messing around on the streets, but I would like an AWD even more since I have dirt/gravel roads back home to play with.
Old October 7th   #9
skibumWRX
skibumWRX
misses Samir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minichado View Post
Do you often drive in situations or moods in which the difference in AWD and RWD would be apparent, relevant, or affect your capabilities?

Out of curiousity.
I would love a RWD for messing around on the streets, but I would like an AWD even more since I have dirt/gravel roads back home to play with.

I'd have to say the main difference is when your cornering very hard. I feel the 335 breaks loose a little easier than the STI did. They make the 335 in a AWD also, haven't drove one of those. Launching from a stand still you can definitely tell a difference, but after 50mph the RWD just pulls so much harder.

The reason I chose this car is its capabilities of just minor aftermarket mods, gas milage, and performance stats.

Here's a good thread on legacygt.com about comparing an sti to the 335 from subie peeps

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...-120863p2.html
Old October 7th   #10
Jumpman
Jumpman

Fair points. In my case I am wanting the AWD, and the hatchback, while also being fun. Also I have previously owned a 135i so I know where you are coming from -- I still miss that car some times -- but I'm looking for something a bit different on this one. I'd certainly consider other options that fit the above criteria, but there really aren't many out there. Audi A3 maybe? But Audi reliability worries me, and I'm not sure it's as fun as the WRX/STI. But I haven't driven it.
Old October 7th   #11
skibumWRX
skibumWRX
misses Samir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
Fair points. In my case I am wanting the AWD, and the hatchback, while also being fun. Also I have previously owned a 135i so I know where you are coming from -- I still miss that car some times -- but I'm looking for something a bit different on this one. I'd certainly consider other options that fit the above criteria, but there really aren't many out there. Audi A3 maybe? But Audi reliability worries me, and I'm not sure it's as fun as the WRX/STI. But I haven't driven it.
yeah stay away from audi...if your looking for a hatch i'd just get an STI. You can find them for descent price used. Just hitup www.nasioc.com and look under classified or southeast forum in there. This time of year you can find 2011 STIs brand new for invoice or lower.
Old October 7th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
Audi A3 maybe? But Audi reliability worries me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibumWRX View Post
yeah stay away from audi...
Audi isn't an issue with reliability, but maintenance. They are one of the hardest cars to work on, even for the simplest stuff. The VWs are the same since it's a similar chassis.