Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Twickenham Auto Club Night Autocross
Calendar: Events Calendar
Steve  
October 29th 02:00 PM to 10:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: John Hunt Park, 2500 Johnson Rd, Huntsville, AL, 35802

Setup starts around 2 PM
Registration opens at 3 PM
Drivers meeting at 5 PM
First car off at dark!

Pre-registration for this event is $25.00. $30 day of the event.

Autocrossing is a time-based event in which cars race against the clock on a course made of cones. Doesn't sound complicated or exciting, but it is the complete driving experience, allowing you to push the limits of you and your car in a controlled environment.

The night autocross is a special event that attracts drivers from all over. Instead of racing during the day, the racing is done during the night using luminary-lit "cones" to determine the course versus regular cones. Part of a two-day weekend of autocrossing, so you can drive both day and night!

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

This was a crazy busy day full of events, and this was my last one for the evening. It's always a favorite.

The format for this event is a bit different than most autocrosses since the runs don't start until it gets dark. So there's a lot of time between setup and runs to socialize. And the hot chocolate made just the right social lubricant for this chilly night.

A lot of people came out for this annual Halloween event, and 45 seconds runs were very quick on the course.

As the sun went down, the temperature dropped sharply. There were no mechanical difficulties except one Subaru that lost a rear differential after a fairly hard launch.

Since the runs themselves are completely in the dark, there's not much of a way to take pictures or even shoot video of cars on course without a long range infrared emitter. If I had one of those, I could shoot complete video of the runs. Anyone got one I could borrow once a year for this event?

Instead of normal shots, I've gotten good at taking very long exposure shots in the pitch dark, using whatever available light there is. These turn out pretty neat and aren't your normal autocross pictures.

Since these tripod shots were shot from the exact same position most of the time, there were a few neat shots where two cars were in almost exactly the same position. And quickly flipping between the shots looks like one car 'transforms' into another.

Unfortunately, even with tons of hot chocolate running through my veins, and gloves on my hands, the cold got the best of me. The lens on the camera started fogging up, and I couldn't feel my hands anymore so I had to leave before the end of the event.

But it was fun while I was able to stay. See everyone next year!
4 members will be attending this event:

Old October 5th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you for the post Steve! I didn't see a post for an event on the 30th. Is this still a two-day autocross weekend?
Old October 5th   #3
Jumpman
Jumpman
put the hard top on for the winter.

Man I want to do this but I'm supposed to go to a Halloween party that night as well :/
Jumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th   #4
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I am sure it is a two day event. The night event is for bragging rights and fun.(No points) The next day should be the normal auto cross to earn championship points. No headlights are used. So it is a little unique.

Last edited by Stephen Freeman; October 5th at 01:08 PM.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Freeman View Post
I am sure it is a two day event. The night event is for bragging rights and fun.(No points) The next day should be the normal auto cross to earn championship points. No headlights are used. So it is a little unique.
I'll have to check the TAC site to see if there's an event that needs to be posted. I still haven't found time to revise the meeting location on that listing.
Old October 6th   #6
TimACRcoupe
TimACRcoupe
FWD FTW

It is a two day - I am the event master for Sunday.
TimACRcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th   #7
sok07
sok07
has no status.

Wishes I could be at two places at once. I'll be in Nashville at the National tour.
sok07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimACRcoupe View Post
It is a two day - I am the event master for Sunday.
Sweet! Post the listing on the calendar if you get a chance. Where's the new monthly meeting location again? Did it change for TAC and TVR or just one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sok07 View Post
Wishes I could be at two places at once. I'll be in Nashville at the National tour.
Boo, picking the national tour over the old airport. Yeah right! I'd be checking out the tour as well. Which car you taking?
Old October 7th   #9
sok07
sok07
has no status.

I will be driving the mazdaspeed3
Old October 7th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I think that's a good choice. It's the car you know best, right?
Old October 7th   #11
sok07
sok07
has no status.

I know all the cars. The speed3 is a bit more competitive overall and the mods done to it fall better inline within it's DSP classing. So I should at least place at the event a respectable level.
Old October 7th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok07 View Post
I know all the cars. The speed3 is a bit more competitive overall and the mods done to it fall better inline within it's DSP classing. So I should at least place at the event a respectable level.
So does Lee, lol. That makes sense with the mods. I forgot about that aspect of competitive autocrossing. I typically just run to have fun! I guess if I ever got to know my car completely, I would be looking into being competitive.
Old October 7th   #13
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I will find something to co drive at this event.
Old October 28th   #14
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

So I'll be co-driving a 1990 Mustang fox body..........stock brakes with rear drums. The car should have about 350 whp though. This should be interesting to say the least. It may not be fast but it's gonna be fun steering with my right foot because god knows the thing isn't going to stop or turn well.
Old October 28th   #15
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
So I'll be co-driving a 1990 Mustang fox body..........stock brakes with rear drums. The car should have about 350 whp though. This should be interesting to say the least. It may not be fast but it's gonna be fun steering with my right foot because god knows the thing isn't going to stop or turn well.

Say Hi during registration. I will be working the cash. Look forward to seeing a Fox body car raising hell again. Don't forget everyone no headlights. I have daytime running lights that I have to tape up to kill the light.
Old October 28th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
So I'll be co-driving a 1990 Mustang fox body...
Cool. Mark yourself as attending and I'll see you out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Freeman View Post
Say Hi during registration. I will be working the cash. Look forward to seeing a Fox body car raising hell again. Don't forget everyone no headlights. I have daytime running lights that I have to tape up to kill the light.
Is the no headlights a rule or just a suggestion?
Old October 28th   #17
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Cool. Mark yourself as attending and I'll see you out there.
Is the no headlights a rule or just a suggestion?
No lights or it is a penalty. The track is lit with glowing milk jugs. My car has 4 extra driving lights. So I would get penalized to death. It is not for the faint of heart. Ha
Old October 28th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

interesting. The first few years I saw this autocross, it was not required off. Super fun either way.
Old October 31st   #19
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

For some reason it's been strange about letting me log in and mark myself as attending just a fyi.........It's no big deal to me.

So I ended up driving a CTS-V and I have to say I'm very very impressed with that car. I really didn't expect it to handle anywhere near as good as it did. The course was a blast aslo!
Old October 31st   #20
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

I drove the foxbody, and it performed poorly. I was not happy with the lack of traction at all. When I built the first car, I built it to run some occassional autox events (hence the quick ratio rack instead of the standard). The car just makes too much power to run these events. Maybe on a better set of tires it would run better. I tried my damnest to break a sub 50.xxx time, and that just wasn't going to happen.

I did like the course. Granted if my car could have put power to the ground, it would have clicked off some good times since there were a lot of flat footed all out speed sections.. It was a very fast and fun course.
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote