Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old October 13th   #1
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

Wheel Widening..

i know WeldCraft in Mich. does this, wondering if anywhere closer to home does it as well? does WheelFixIt have the means to do this at a reasonable rate?
Old October 13th   #2
GsxJawsh
GsxJawsh
Is ready for this summer!

why not just buy wider wheels?
Old October 14th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxJawsh View Post
why not just buy wider wheels?
Sometimes they don't make them. So this is one of the only ways to make them work. If done right, it's just like manufacturing a custom wheel.

Last edited by Samir; October 14th at 12:20 AM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th   #4
Wilson!
Wilson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Sometimes they don't make them. So this is one of the only ways to make them work. If done right, it's just like manufacturing a custom wheel.
^this, and I like the look of the OE wheel, but no one makes them in a 12" wide or in factory color.
Old October 14th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson! View Post
^this, and I like the look of the OE wheel, but no one makes them in a 12" wide or in factory color.
Which style wheel is it? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I know someone that did widen them.
Old October 16th   #6
Wheel Fix It
Wheel Fix It
Is spinning wheels!
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

We have had a lot of people askin but with our current insurance they will not allow us to do it, but if there is another wheel you like we can make it the factory color. Just out of curiosity how much wider do you want it and what does WeldCraft charge to do it?
Huntsville, Al 35816
256-830-9992
Monday-Friday
8am-5pm
Wheel Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th   #7
Wilson!
Wilson!

it is a factory C5 Z06 rear wheel. (18x10.5)
i would like to add 1.5". Weldcraft is currently charging roughly $240 per wheel. they pretty much have the market cornered on this and charge accordingly.
no aftermarket company makes them in a 18x12. 18x10.5 or 19x11 are my only options. i don't really want to go up a wheel size all the way around because i like the factory look (also the 19 is only 11 wide), but i want to run 335/30/18 tires, and i need a 12" wide wheel to do so. i really prefer to spend money locally, but unfortunately it's not always a option.
Old October 18th   #8
Wheel Fix It
Wheel Fix It
Is spinning wheels!

Well I did some calling around today and going through some back and forth stuff. So maybe by the end of the week I'll have an answer for you if we can do it or not. You think you'll have time to stop by and discuss some things about it this week?
Huntsville, Al 35816
256-830-9992
Monday-Friday
8am-5pm
Old October 19th   #9
Wheel Fix It
Wheel Fix It
Is spinning wheels!

I just remembered that I will be driving starting today cause our driver is out of town so if you decide to come by just call the shop first to make sure I'm there.
Huntsville, Al 35816
256-830-9992
Monday-Friday
8am-5pm
Old October 19th   #10
Wilson!
Wilson!

it's going to be a little while before i am actually ready to have it done. i have to find some donor wheels to have it done too. i don't want the car to be sitting on jackstands in the drive way while i wait on the wheels to get finished and the tires to come in. i work right down the street from your location, so i can swing by one day and lunch and get an idea of cost, and turn around.
i know there has to be a market for this type of work, and also wheel narrowing. this way you can run a "big and little" combo, but have the car appear stock from the side.
Old October 19th   #11
Don 79 TA
Don 79 TA
has no status.

have you tried posting this on the corvetteforum?
i'm sure others have done something similar
i know the pain of finding the right wheels
i wish Weld made the grad lites in 16-18's
Don 79 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th   #12
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Looked into forged wheels with a similar pattern? Tons of forged companies out there will make any size and offset you want.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th   #13
Wilson!
Wilson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 79 TA View Post
have you tried posting this on the corvetteforum?
i'm sure others have done something similar
i know the pain of finding the right wheels
i wish Weld made the grad lites in 16-18's
the only company that does this is WeldCraft, and they are very overpriced. i had the same work done 10 years ago for $100 a wheel. they are now charging $240.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87
Looked into forged wheels with a similar pattern? Tons of forged companies out there will make any size and offset you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samir
the OE Wheels are made in Italy, and are actually a VERY high quality wheel. i want to keep the OE look, but in a custom size.
my car currently appears stock, but is far from it. i want to continue this look.

Last edited by Wilson!; October 19th at 11:32 AM.
Wilson! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th   #14
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer

I knew someone that did this around here a while back. Ill ask around and see what i can come up with for ya
Old October 20th   #15
Wheel Fix It
Wheel Fix It
Is spinning wheels!

After doing some research on different places that widen wheels, $240 sounds pretty reasonable. Most places I looked into charge anywhere between $200 and up depending on wheel size and widening amount.
Huntsville, Al 35816
256-830-9992
Monday-Friday
8am-5pm
Old October 20th   #16
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

I'm a bit surprised a 12" will fit without doing a mini-tub or wide body rear, or is that what you had in mind?
Old October 20th   #17
Wilson!
Wilson!

a 12" with 335 will fit BUT the offset has to be perfect, and the tire has to sit dead flush with the wheel well (the tread sits flush, the sidewall bulge of the tire will actually poke out 1/4" or so). this is another reason i want to get a second set of wheels and have it done to them. this way i can mount the wheel/tire on the car and get the exact measurement and order the correct spacers and hardened studs.

it looks like a mini tub can be done in around 8 hours, and under $200, so have been kicking around the idea of doing the mini-tub just for the extra clearance and piece of mind.
you can buy kits to do it, or cut the wells and fill it with fiberglass mat and resin yourself and save $600 over buying a kit. the hardest part is making the inner fenders fit correctly, but those can be cut and stretched also.
the idea of just waiting and getting some CCW classics has been running through my head also.

CCW classic 18x12 335/30/18 stock inner fenders

CCW classic 18x12 335/30/18 on same color Z06 as mine
Old October 20th   #18
Wheel Fix It
Wheel Fix It
Is spinning wheels!

Well...I was hoping to be able to do this but I got a big fat negative from our insurance company today. So far Weldcraft sounds like your best bet, or you can check with this guy www.ericvaughnmachine.com/ I like how he does it to.
Huntsville, Al 35816
256-830-9992
Monday-Friday
8am-5pm
Old October 20th   #19
Wilson!
Wilson!

insurance is overrated

i found ericvaughnmachine while i was searching, but i think he charges even more than weldcraft.
the ccw idea is looking better and better, but that is one of those things that "gives up the jig" as far as my car appearing stock.
Old October 20th   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Does anyone make custom factory-style wheels?