Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Post pictures, videos, and other stuff to look at

Old January 28th   #41
ray
ray

They will probably build a turbo version of the BRZ if it sells well. But the reason Scion/Toyota are planning a forced induction version is because they plan to sell more to the tuner crowd. The Subaru model is a little more "bland" and mature in its design. And the BRZ features are more luxury than its counterpart.

I have a feeling Subaru is a little more reserved and waiting to see how it does on the market before offering upgraded models and add-ons. It is already estimated to be around a 30K car so if they go too much further with STi add-ons and turbocharging...it could potentially cut into the WRX STi sales. Which I doubt they would want.

I for one don't want MY version of this car as a forced induction car. That wasn't the point of its design from inception and it was always meant to be fun over numbers. Feeling and emotion over logic and data. It wasn't meant to compete with the "turbo, AWD, eletronically controlled cars" of today.

I like the mission statement and target audience of this car. It fills a void. It isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. And it isn't supposed to wow you on paper or beat your friend's tuner cars in races. It is simply meant to put a smile on your face (why the designers chose skinny tires and a soft suspension) through daily driving (where 90% of people enjoy their cars and use them). Read some articles on it and you will understand where it comes from and the whole purpose behind it.

I love it.

Last edited by ray; January 28th at 06:29 PM.
ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th   #42
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

<~~~ This guy right here is a Subaru Master Tech. Been working at the Subaru dealer for almost 10 years... I know a little about them
Old January 28th   #43
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson! View Post
There's more to it than just the pistons and rods. This engine has varitable timing on all 4 cams, the cam phasers require 0w20 motor oil to operate, 0w20 oil in a turbo engine is a no no. The viscosity is so low that it cannot retain a film between metal surfaces under high cylinder pressure, you end up with metal to metal contact, and its so thin it blows past the seals in the turbo. They will have to basically come up with a completely different engine of they want to turbo this car.
So what about creating a completely new turbo design that can run on these super lightweight oils (if it doesn't already exist)? Possible then?
Quote:
<~~~ This guy right here is a Subaru Master Tech. Been working at the Subaru dealer for almost 10 years... I know a little about them
I don't think anyone is doubting your knowledge.
Old January 28th   #44
Wilson!
Wilson!

Subaru doesn't work that way. The 2.0 and 2.5 were actually designed around their respective turbos, not the other way around. The cost of developing a new turbo and supporting systems wouldn't be cost effective when you sell fewer than 500,000 cars a year.
Old January 28th   #45
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

So is there not a turbo in the world that exists that runs on these lower weight oils? I know there would be development costs, but if they're reasonable, an aftermarket company could build something.

Last edited by Samir; January 28th at 11:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th   #46
Wilson!
Wilson!

I'm sure there is a turbo out there, but matching it to an engine that is already in use will be hard for them to do.
Old January 29th   #47
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I'm sure there is a turbo out there, but matching it to an engine that is already in use will be hard for them to do.
Oh I totally agree. They're going to have one heck of a task ahead of them, but I see the market demand will make it possible. Unless the turbo is something super exotic and ultra-expensive of course.
Old January 29th   #48
Wilson!
Wilson!

I don't see a need for a turbo on this car if they can get 260hp from a n/a engine. 260hp will put it pretty close to 1hp per 10 lb mark.
Old January 29th   #49
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I agree. The power to weight ratio is what's a winner in this platform. The question is how that extra 60hp will come about. I'm sure time will give us the answer.
Old January 29th   #50
Wilson!
Wilson!

the 2.0 in the Impreza is rated at 148hp, 10.5 compression, with a 6200 rpm redline
the 2.0 in the BRZ is rated at 200 hp, 12:1 compression, with a 7000m rpm redline.
the 2.5 in the Forester is rated at 170 hp, 10:1 compression, with a 6400 rpm redline.

the 2.5 in the Forester also only has variable valve timing on the intake cam only. i'm sure they can make more than 100hp per L with the 2.5L if they tried just a little bit. more aggressive cams, variable timing on both cams, tuning, higher compression, higher rev limit, and the little bump in displacement should put it at the 260hp mark pretty easily.
Old January 29th   #51
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Are the blocks different sizes or is it just a matter of bore and stroke?
Old January 30th   #52
Wilson!
Wilson!

They are both FB blocks so exturnal dimensions are identical.
Old January 30th   #53
ray
ray

From the rumor that I heard on the FT86 forum it was saying the block was open-deck
Old January 30th   #54
ray
ray

To add evidence/discussion to the above: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ight=open+deck
Old January 30th   #55
ray
ray

But more importantly...the production white was finally spotted!

Old January 30th   #56
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
I love that white.

Ugh, I want to drive one!

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th   #57
ray
ray

Man I know. A lot of the colors have surprised me but I really, really like the white.

I can't wait until they get the BRZ here so I can go test drive it. I just hope it doesn't let me down.
Old January 30th   #58
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
I'll be test driving one when they get in, too.

Although, I'll probably wait a few months after they're out to make sure all the kinks are worked out of them before buying (if I like the test drive).

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV

Last edited by Beckham; January 30th at 09:34 AM.
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th   #59
Wilson!
Wilson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman View Post
From the rumor that I heard on the FT86 forum it was saying the block was open-deck
all the USDM Subaru engines are open deck....
Old January 30th   #60
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

I definitely like the way it looks, but at 200 whp and the weight its at, I just don't see it ever putting a smile on my face to drive it. The power to weight ratio just isn't there.

If there is a stripped out RS version with a more aggressive tune I'd be all over that. I don't need cruise control, traction control, and any luxury features that have been becoming more and more common. And in fact I prefer cloth seats. The only feature I'd actually like is a sunroof.

And the fact that it weighs so much with small wheels and tires is not inspiring either.

Last edited by Tanro; January 30th at 11:01 AM.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote