Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Post pictures, videos, and other stuff to look at

Old January 30th   #61
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
I definitely like the way it looks, but at 200 whp and the weight its at, I just don't see it ever putting a smile on my face to drive it. The power to weight ratio just isn't there.

If there is a stripped out RS version with a more aggressive tune I'd be all over that. I don't need cruise control, traction control, and any luxury features that have been becoming more and more common. And in fact I prefer cloth seats. The only feature I'd actually like is a sunroof.

And the fact that it weighs so much with small wheels and tires is not inspiring either.
Weighs so much? This is one of the lightest cars out on the market. It weighs just a little more than a new Miata.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV

Last edited by Beckham; January 30th at 11:08 AM.
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th   #62
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson! View Post
They are both FB blocks so exturnal dimensions are identical.

Quote:
I definitely like the way it looks, but at 200 whp and the weight its at, I just don't see it ever putting a smile on my face to drive it. The power to weight ratio just isn't there.
My Boxster isn't that powerful or great in the power-to-weight ratio at 245hp. But let me tell you, it puts a smile on my face every time!

I think making a car enjoyable to drive has to do with the 'connectedness' of the car to the road and the combination of everything working together--suspension, drivetrain, ergonomics etc.

I haven't researched much on the BRZ besides what's in this thread, but the design motivation seems like it should be pretty fun. Of course, a test drive is the only way to be sure.
Old January 30th   #63
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Everything I've read says the curb weight is between 2600 and 2700 lbs. That is pretty heavy for such a small car. From the comparison it seems to be similar in size to a Miata, which is a vert. Verts are generally much heavier due strengthening the chassis. Yet even the heaviest MX-5/Miata weighs in a couple hundred lighter.

It just seems like all the emissions and "new" technology on these modern cars makes them a couple hundred pounds heavier than need be.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th   #64
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

The rx-7 is kind of the same way. But it doesn't put a smile on my face. Its just not quick enough, and has now power on over steer. I suppose it is better than driving some econobox. I don't think "ugh I have to drive saturn to work because the DSM is down at" anymore. But it doesn't put a smile on my face to drive it. Which is why its getting an engine swap. It just needs a bit more umph.
Old January 31st   #65
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Everything I've read says the curb weight is between 2600 and 2700 lbs. That is pretty heavy for such a small car. From the comparison it seems to be similar in size to a Miata, which is a vert. Verts are generally much heavier due strengthening the chassis. Yet even the heaviest MX-5/Miata weighs in a couple hundred lighter.

It just seems like all the emissions and "new" technology on these modern cars makes them a couple hundred pounds heavier than need be.
But what type of power are the Miatas making these days? Are they up to the 200 mark? If so, then these won't really be making an impact in the autocross world like I'm thinking they will.

I agree that all the 'new' technology and requirements just seems to bog them down. A modern Altima has almost 2x the power of the original. And yet, a 1st gen auto with a Greddy SP cat-back was 0-60 in 8 seconds flat. I'm not sure what the newer ones are doing 0-60, but they're not doing the 5 seconds a 1st gen would with that type of power.
Quote:
The rx-7 is kind of the same way. But it doesn't put a smile on my face. Its just not quick enough, and has now power on over steer. I suppose it is better than driving some econobox. I don't think "ugh I have to drive saturn to work because the DSM is down at" anymore. But it doesn't put a smile on my face to drive it. Which is why its getting an engine swap. It just needs a bit more umph.
I can understand that too. I've felt that way about the Boxster in a straight line. But it's when I combine the existing power with the handling that makes me smile. No one is cornering with me even if they were tailing me beforehand.
Old January 31st   #66
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Last I checked the top spec mx-5 was around 160-170 horses. And 2400ish lbs. I do believe this toyobaru will be a bit more fun than a miata. But I guess I am just used to having decent torque and good top end. 4g63 has me spoiled. At least some of that heritage will live on, even if its in a hyundai.
Old January 31st   #67
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Tubaru, Soyota, Toyobaru, Subuyota, lol...
Old January 31st   #68
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

Another write up on the car:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Old February 1st   #69
ray
ray

Plucked:

Old February 1st   #70
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Are those both of them?
Old February 1st   #71
ray
ray

The one on the left is a Scion TC and the right is the FR-S.

Hard to tell with all that livery junk on them! Haha
Old February 1st   #72
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I was thinking it was a Scion, just didn't think if they went with a 'bigger' version of their car, which would have been strange.

So how did Greddy already get one?
Old February 2nd   #73
ray
ray

Greddy has that car above (race car/shop car) as well as a "Greddy" spec'd FRS that they showed off at a few auto shows.

Last time I checked though the Greddy FRS just had some Volks on it and a titanium catback exhaust that they make bolted up.
Old February 2nd   #74
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I was thinking it was a Scion, just didn't think if they went with a 'bigger' version of their car, which would have been strange.

So how did Greddy already get one?
Greddy has been putting them through the paces on a drift track for awhile now.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd   #75
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

The one on the right looks just like a Genesis Coupe. I doubt anyone could tell them apart if you met them on the road.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd   #76
Beckham
Beckham

Except for the fact the FRS is much smaller..

Old February 2nd   #77
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Ah, the mini Genesis. Good name

I'll ask them "Could you not afford a full size Genesis?" hehe
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd   #78
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
Ah, the mini Genesis. Good name

I'll ask them "Could you not afford a full size Genesis?" hehe
Sounds like the infamous "Why didn't you get the V8" question to V6 Mustang owners.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd   #79
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Quote:
For one, Subaru has a currently breathing reputation for building sporty cars: They may sell in limited volumes, but the WRX and STI are nevertheless Subarus. And Subaru says that the engine in its BRZ, a 2.0-liter flat-four making its first public appearance in this car, will form the basis of its next turbo motor.
So uh... I am still holding out hope that Subaru will eventually release an STi version.
Old February 6th   #80
Beckham
Beckham

Here's a pair of these cars drifting.

http://youtu.be/DAHFQnyX0C0