Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

National Council of Corvette Clubs Low Speed Autocross
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

December 3rd to December 4th 08:30 AM to 04:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: John Hunt Park, 2500 Johnson Rd, Huntsville, AL, 35802
Contact: Town and Country Corvette Club, 256-852-8003, http://www.ncccsouth.com/html/2010_sch.html

This is part of the National Council of Corvette Clubs southeast autocross series. At this race, there are a series of 14 events, 2 runs per event. Registration is $75 per person for all events, and includes lunch. Registration opens at 8:30a and closes at the after the 1st run of the 1st event. First car out at 9:30a. Exhaust must be closed.

Governors of this event are the Town and Country Corvette Club, Corvette Atlanta, and the East Tennessee Corvette Club.

These are some of the most race-prepared Corvettes you will ever get to see up close and personal, so come out and feel the power hitting the pavement. Just be sure to bring some binoculars to catch the action from a safe distance.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

Great weather made for some great racing on Saturday out at the old airport. And it wasn't just Corvettes this time around--some of the local autocrossers joined in on the fun, some even with their Corvettes.

The course was fast and pretty sweeping, but with more slaloms on the main taxiway than I've seen in years past. But even with those, the fastest time on course was blisteringly fast in the low 50s. Most cars would hit 3rd gear while approaching the one feature on the back side of the course. It's about as close to a road circuit in Huntsville as it gets, and what makes this annual event one of the most exciting of the year--and dangerous. But danger took a break today--must have been the nice weather.

For the local autocrossers, other than the course layout and speed difference, there was another feature--no work assignments. When I asked everyone what they thought of this, they loved it--even though it cost twice as much to run as normal local events. They found it great to have 14 runs in a day, sometimes even hot lapping when other competitors didn't participate in a particular event. In fact, a good number of competitors were retired for the day by the time I had gotten to the event, leaving a handful of cars on course. I was originally planning to come on Sunday as well, but filming work for a TopEnd.tv episode starring a 2012 Ninja 250r changed that.

But whomever was on course got some really great pictures. The sun was nearly perfect and at the right angle for some fantastic panning shots like this one. Enjoy!

2 members will be attending this event:

Old December 3rd   #2
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Really fast event. Beautiful cars being used like God intended them to be used.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd   #3
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Bouncing off the rev-limiter in 3rd all way down the taxiway at 75... fun. The faster you go out at JHP, the better the pavement feels, I think. Taking the sweeper on the return back to the runway at 60, in a nice controlled slide, I hardly noticed the pavement irregularities in the BMW. 14 more runs tomorrow.
Old December 5th   #4
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Awesome experience running with that group. I made 27 runs in two days. No incidents, a very safe weekend. Some video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CnsK7W6u5M
Old December 5th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Awesome video! I loved how you capture some of the sounds of the other cars in the event. I didn't get a chance to shoot video as I ran out of time. It was a busy day!

I've got everything uploaded and am planning on getting this weekend's stuff up asap. Hopefully no fires will take me away from this work.
Old December 5th   #6
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Thanks Samir. I had planned on doing 4 camera setups yesterday, and capture the entire course. Forgot the spare SIMM cards, and was having too much fun to go home and grab them. Tough to document and race at the same time. WIFI SIMM card is now a priority! Shoot two hours, fire it over to the iPad, clear card, keep shooting. I do have both run groups, 4 runs each at that one location though. If anyone wants to see their car at that feature, I can compile all 4 of your runs for you.
Old December 5th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
Thanks Samir. I had planned on doing 4 camera setups yesterday, and capture the entire course. Forgot the spare SIMM cards, and was having too much fun to go home and grab them. Tough to document and race at the same time. WIFI SIMM card is now a priority! Shoot two hours, fire it over to the iPad, clear card, keep shooting. I do have both run groups, 4 runs each at that one location though. If anyone wants to see their car at that feature, I can compile all 4 of your runs for you.
It's amazing how far the technology has come. I can't believe the technology is almost here where I can strap a camera on my web and feed it live to HCS every time I'm out.
Old December 5th   #8
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Quote:

Cool Video. I love to watch your in car also. That one white Vette with all of the stickers on it, is pure EVIL. I loved that car. I sounded really sick when I ran it through my stereo speakers. Just exactly how I remembered it in person.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th   #9
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
It's amazing how far the technology has come. I can't believe the technology is almost here where I can strap a camera on my web and feed it live to HCS every time I'm out.
Personal wifi hotspot off your mobile account...
Old December 5th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Personal wifi hotspot off your mobile account...
Yep. The hard part is a battery operated wifi camera. But go pro should have a wireless back for their hero gen 2 in Feb of 2012.
Old December 5th   #11
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

SIMFi card?
Old December 5th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
SIMFi card?
Already exist. They're called EyeFi cards. But they can't stream, just upload images shortly after they're shot.