Rocket City Mustang Club
Monthly Meetings
Casa Blanca
Every 3rd Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > Rocket City Mustang Club

Rocket City Mustang Club The official forum for the Rocket City Mustang Club, one of the Mustang Clubs in the area

Old September 13th   #1
mgreene
mgreene
has no status.

Ford Drag Club

I'm sure Dan Case and Jan Boggs remember the Ford Drag Club of the late 1960's - early 1970's? My dad was a member - they held monthly meetings at Jack Yarber Ford in Athens, Alabama. Occasionally had guest speakers, including Cale Yarborough and A.J. Foyt. I have several of his old Ford Drag Club Newsletters and various memorabilia including this decal:

and this jacket patch:

Here is a pic of a Drag Club Hauler with several old Mavericks, Mustangs, and Torinos:

Last edited by mgreene; September 13th at 11:38 AM.
mgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th   #2
Unregistered
Unregistered
has no status.
Edit

Mike,

Yes I do remember the Ford Drag Club, there were quite a few people drag racing Fords back then that had those letters painted on their cars. If you went to the club meetings at Jack Yarber Ford, I bet you met Dean Campbell.Dean was the parts manager, shop manager, etc... He had a Maverick drag car with a Boss 302 and 4 speed in it.He was alway trying different induction setups, had a Cross-Boss with Autolite inline carb (with the bigger carb, seems like it was about 1400cfm)...He never quite got the car to run just right with the Autolite carb, the car would leave the starting line almost on the rear bumper, then stumble badly when it came down, then clear out and move on pretty well.My cousin and I bought all the inline carbs and intakes Dean had when he quit racing, we got a Cross-Boss intake and carb, a Doug Nash intake that was modified to use 2 Autolite inlines,both carbs for it, and one brand new in the box inline...I think we gave him $300 for all of it. If I'm not mistaken, I traded most of that stuff to Dan Case around the time I bought the Grabber blue Boss 302 from him...but I may be mistaken about that, maybe Dan will remember.

JB
Old September 13th   #3
kennyg
kennyg
Too many projects, not enough time.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Mike,

My cousin and I bought all the inline carbs and intakes Dean had when he quit racing, we got a Cross-Boss intake and carb, a Doug Nash intake that was modified to use 2 Autolite inlines,both carbs for it, and one brand new in the box inline...I think we gave him $300 for all of it. If I'm not mistaken, I traded most of that stuff to Dan Case around the time I bought the Grabber blue Boss 302 from him...but I may be mistaken about that, maybe Dan will remember.

JB
I remember Dan bringing a Cross-Boss intake to a RCMC meeting many years ago for show and tell!
1969 Fairlane Cobra-Auto, Column Shift, Benchseat
1970 Mach 1-Grabber Orange 4-Speed
1994 Ford Mustang GT-Yellow 5-Speed
kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th   #4
Dan Case
Dan Case
has no status.

Jan
Yep. You traded the Cross-Boss and In-line stuff off to me. I sold it all to Richard Rodeck in California a couple of years later. Richard was searching for original parts for the two Boss 302 TA cars he became famous for restoring and that is how I met him. I had a set of Minilite magnesium wheels used on Peter Revson's Shelby Team Boss 302 TA car that would not fit under the rear fenders of my green Boss without flares so I decided not to use them. I saw Richard's want ads and responded. The stuff from you and all the Boss race parts (except the Shelby Team white stripe kit I sold to Ronnie Johnson who still has it) I had at the time went to the cars he was restoring. That was much better than butchering my old green car anyway.

The old green car is the only one I regret selling. I have not heard of it since about 1984 now.

Mike,
Ford sent a couple of cars to Huntsville for some exhibition runs. If you were lucky like I was you got to see Butch Leal's (spelling??) Boss and Mickey Thompson's Mach 1 factory sponsored cars on trailers at Shoney's on the Parkway and University.
Dan Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th   #5
mgreene
mgreene
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Case
Jan

The old green car is the only one I regret selling. I have not heard of it since about 1984 now.

Mike,
Ford sent a couple of cars to Huntsville for some exhibition runs. If you were lucky like I was you got to see Butch Leal's (spelling??) Boss and Mickey Thompson's Mach 1 factory sponsored cars on trailers at Shoney's on the Parkway and University.
Dan, is that the green one that scored so high in car show competition?

I missed the exhibition runs/cars
Old February 25th   #6
Dan Case
Dan Case
has no status.

Mike,
Yes. As far as I know it was the first Mustang to get a perfect no deduction score in not one MCA national but two. I believe it also got an AACA national top score too. That was Bob Perkins first "professional" restoration and I consulted on the fine details as it neared completion. Bob sold it for a world record at the time and it then dropped out of sight. It was done very well. I bet it was more fun blasting around Huntsville that what ever it is doing now.

Last edited by Dan Case; February 25th at 03:15 PM.
Old February 27th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

This is an interesting piece of history. So how long did this club last? What was their main activity? (drag racing of course, but where and when). Depending on how the club functioned, there may be enough going on in the area to revive the club.
Old July 27th   #8
Dan Case
Dan Case
has no status.

Green Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreene
Dan, is that the green one that scored so high in car show competition?

I missed the exhibition runs/cars
Mike Greene,
I talked with Bob Perkins a few minutes at SAAC-31. He says the person that bought my old car after he reworked it about 20+ years ago still has it.

Dan