Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old December 13th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Cameras Going Up on 565?

I saw what looked like one on Monday across from the Space and Rocket Center?

Anyone else see it?
Old December 13th   #2
AGSoldier
AGSoldier
Zoom-Zoomin!

I drove on 565 today and didn't see any cameras >_>
AGSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th   #3
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I saw what looked like one on Monday across from the Space and Rocket Center?

Anyone else see it?
the one that you are referring to has been their for a long time. Its one of the News stations cameras. They use them to issue traffic reports.
Old December 13th   #4
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyly@TFR View Post
the one that you are referring to has been their for a long time. Its one of the News stations cameras. They use them to issue traffic reports.
Nailed it. There's also one where you get on the parkway from the interstate, plus a few various ones around the area.
Old December 13th   #5
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

{puts away BB gun}
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Ahh. Bummer. I thought they were going to finally get smart and just install photo radar everywhere and put officers to work fighting real crime.
Old December 14th   #7
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

the one at the 565/pkwy intersection is used by ALDOT to monitor the road conditions of the elevated portion of 565. It has a heat probe that lets them know when the roadway reaches the freezing point. Don't worry people. We don't have redlight running cameras in HSV yet, I'll be the first to know, and yall will be the second.
Old December 14th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
We don't have redlight running cameras in HSV yet, I'll be the first to know, and yall will be the second.
What's the ones at the Ledges intersection? Are they just for monitoring?

I'd love for Huntsville to get photo radar everywhere and just start mailing tickets out. That will be a spike in revenue and would start enforcing the law uniformly. I shouldn't be the only one that can't speed!
Old December 14th   #9
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

Cities are actually starting to remove red light cameras due to various factors, mainly the increase in rear end collisions when lights turn yellow.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...he-2139922.php

Anytime you have law enforcement revenue going to private companies that run the cameras, there will also be issues.
Old December 14th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
Cities are actually starting to remove red light cameras due to various factors, mainly the increase in rear end collisions when lights turn yellow.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...he-2139922.php

Anytime you have law enforcement revenue going to private companies that run the cameras, there will also be issues.
Crazy. More people are getting hurt from trying to stop at a red light than from running them.

With this day and age, outsourcing is pretty much routine. But the downfall is that it connects one thing to another, so if one goes down, it has a domino effect. I guess making a solution that has a short-term roi for a municipality should be the way to go vs a long-term contract.
Old December 14th   #11
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

The ones that are mounted on our traffic signal arms are for video detection only. They don't record and are only used in the cabinet to detect when a vehicle is present or not. They are handy for spots that are under construction and we need to move the detection zones often due to lane shifts, or if the pavement is not good enough to cut a loop into the pavement.

FYI: The saw cuts you see cut in the pavement at the various intersections do NOT work off weight. They pick up the metal in the vehicle via resistance/conductance. Thats why motorcycles have a hard time getting detected, and especially bikes.

We have a couple of Pan/Tilt/Zoom (PTZ) cameras around that we just play with(demo's really) at MooresMill/72 and at Jordan and Univ. Again though they don't record.

HPD was interested in installing the redlight running cameras, but when we told them they would have to purchase them and pay to maintain them they decided not too. We are worried about moving traffic, not writing tickets
Old December 14th   #12
DKfullhouse
DKfullhouse
has no status.

There's one up on the Saturn 5 too... but I figured that one was obvious
Old December 16th   #13
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

I though this was brought up before with the city council and they were all against it because it created more problems than it solved. Plus as stated, a lot of cities that have them are pulling them out because of various problems. I personally don't like the idea. A machine cannot see every criteria a driver uses to determine if he should stop or proceed. Sometimes I have run into situations where it is safer to go through the intersection just as the light turns rather than get nailed.
Old December 16th   #14
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

Some cities were also illegally shortening the yellow light time to generate more tickets. Standard safe yellow light time is between 2.5 - 3 seconds. People caught on and started recording the length of the delay and busted the cities red handed.
Old December 16th   #15
DKfullhouse
DKfullhouse
has no status.

I think it was 4 seconds shortened to 3 or less...
Old December 16th   #16
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

They can't go below 2.75 seconds of yellow. The conflict monitor knows to look for a minimum yellow time. Industry standard is 3 sec. min. In HSV we tend to use 3.5 on side streets and depending on approach speed can be as much as 6 seconds on the main street. The MUTCD does not allow for anything that is shorter than a 3 second amber. And reguardless of what they were doing they didn't change the meaning of the colors. Red means stop, yellow means go faster and green means go.

The MUTCD specifies that the duration of the yellow change interval should be between 3 and 6 seconds. How is the actual length determined for a given intersection?

A: Section 4D.26 of the 2009 MUTCD requires the duration of the yellow change interval to be determined using engineering practices, and indicates that such engineering practices can be found in two books published by ITE. (Visit ITE's website at www.ite.org, where you will find additional information under "Technical Information".) Because vehicle laws vary by State and conditions vary by intersection, the engineer must exercise judgment in deciding on the length of the yellow interval, as noted in the ITE guidelines.

We had some people call in when we hung some horizontal signals on south parkway heading east bound. Even had a "Driving you crazy" that Steve Useless Johnson did. When we had someone call in complaining about they said the typical crap we always get. Your going to get someone injured or killed with those lights hung that way. I asked them how that was possible. She said that people don't know what to do. I told her "We didn't change the color, just the way they are mounted" After I explained that we had trucks hitting them and needed more space she understood. Yall have no idea how uninformed the general public is about normal driving. Its shocking

Last edited by clintjohns; December 16th at 08:56 PM.
clintjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th   #17
AGSoldier
AGSoldier
Zoom-Zoomin!

How could people not know what to do just because the lights are hung a different way? Still does the same thing lol. I swear I can't believe I share the road with some people smh.

http://www.6crew.com
AGSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th   #18
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

Hey clintjohns, it appears that you work with traffic control with the city. I have a question; does the city traffic engineering deliberately have traffic lights set up to stop you at every corner instead of letting traffic flow out or am I just hitting them wrong? It seems that every time I get green light at the major streets then the next block it turns red as traffic gets there and backs up everyone again. Not being snarky,just curious.
Old December 17th   #19
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

just curious .. what`s "snarky " ?
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th   #20
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Hey Mailman - What road. Our main roads like South Parkway from Byrd Spring to English, Univ Drive from the Parkway to Perimeter, and All of Gov. drive are set up in coordination. Meaning you should be able to get a green and keep it if you drive the speedlimit. Givin that in the AM we are working traffic in and the PM we are working them out and if you are going against the flow then you will see other things. Let me know what roads and I can give more insite