Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old January 12th   #1
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes
is happy to be on US soil

Send a message via AIM to 6spd_Hayes
S3 Magazine - Anyone get this?

So, who out there in the (local) import world gets S3 magazine? I know I do, and several friends. I even bought Samir a lifetime subscription at the last Import Alliance meet at Nashville Super Speedway. What are your thoughts on it (photo design, quality of content, writing style, etc)?

If you have never heard of it, check it out at the link below:

http://s3mag.com/blog/

6spd_Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I do! I do!

It's very down-to-earth and grounded. Written by people who understand the scene down to the informal parking lot meets that happen all over the nation. Even the advertisers jump on this bandwagon. The ads wouldn't fly in any other publication. In fact, hide this mag from your mom like an adult mag.
Old January 12th   #3
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I do! I do!

It's very down-to-earth and grounded. Written by people who understand the scene down to the informal parking lot meets that happen all over the nation. Even the advertisers jump on this bandwagon. The ads wouldn't fly in any other publication. In fact, hide this mag from your mom like an adult mag.
One of their photogs, Joe Coville is an awesome guy. I saw him at the IA 2011 Summer meet. He knew I was reading the new months issue and he even sent me a message on FaceBook, warning me NOT to let the kids look at the new issue because of the language in some of the advertisements, and the last page of the magazine (called Junk in the Trunk). Always has a VERY scantily clad co-ed and a hilarious joke.

I got to meet the owners at the 2010 SEMA Show (when I was there as a tech advisor to Import Alliance) and they are a bunch of very down to earth guys. I highly recommend their magazine to anyone in the import scene.

In fact, Samir, I think you need to write an editorial on your impressions of 'the scene' and send it to Jonathan Wooley at S3. I am sure you share alot of their same thoughts (even though you aren't 'import only').
Old January 12th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It would be interesting to have an editorial in S3. Do you really think they'd publish it? I've usually had a good response when I've taken the time to write an article.
Old January 12th   #5
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
It would be interesting to have an editorial in S3. Do you really think they'd publish it? I've usually had a good response when I've taken the time to write an article.
Before you spent the time to write up something, I'd send the 3 founders and email with an intro email of who you are, what you do, and your unique perspective. They'll either say go for it, or no thank you.

If you look at the current issue, the Editorial 2.0, the guy who wrote it had a flawless Datsun Z at the 2010 SEMA in the Enkei booth. I think he is behind Eeffect Apparel.

Old January 12th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I'll have to do it once I get through a lot of work. There's a lot of autocross pics calling my name right now.
Old January 13th   #7
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

I am glad I wasn't holding my breath till you got them posted. I am just hoping you'll have them posted in time for the NEXT AutoX School March 16-18.....:-)
Old January 13th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I have to have them done by the end of next week.