Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old January 27th   #1
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

Camaro vs Mustang vs ...

Age old arguements and opinions on the two will survive as long as the cars exist.

However, I'd like to get some real time input on the two. When I say the two, I mean the NEW models. 2010 or newer SS vs the 2011 5.0 (GT).

I've driven the two and have already formulated some personal opinions, but would like to hear from those who own or have personal experience through friends, etc...

IF I were to purchase one, I might be forced to go with an Auto (blasphemy!)...but I have my reasons.

So let's hear it, from the power they make to the comfort of the ride to the real world mpg to the potential they have in appearance as well as all the negatives from poor choice of clutches to interior horrors and "common" problems that one should watch for or expect.

To me, the Camaro has a better stock vs stock look on the exterior, but fails miserably on the interior gauge clusters. I hear that the autos are faster in both cars. Both have tons of aftermarket parts to make them look and perform better than stock. The Camaro felt like a tank while the Mustang felt like a muscle car. (6-speed comparison). As for pricing, 2011 5.0's can be had for MUCH less than the Camaro and appear to lose their value quickly.

And is there any other coupes in this range ($23k-32k) worth looking at. For Example: Call me an idiot, but I kind of like the overall look, dependability, and potential with the new Accord V6 coupe and the new G37 coupe. Both don't compete when comparing power vs the cars mentioned above, nor do they have much of a wow factor, but the build quality seems decades ahead.
Old January 27th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Uh oh...I was wondering how long it was going to be before this bug hit you again, lol.

And no blasphemy with the auto. It's amazing how fast they will shift if you're going in a straight line.

My secondhand opinions. The Camaro has a stronger aftermarket following, but not by much. Almost anything can be gotten for either car. I feel that the Mustang has a slightly better build quality, but I haven't physically touched enough on both cars to be confident in stating this.

2SSRSinBama is actively modding his Camaro, and secondhandloser moved from the G/Z platform to the new Mustang. I think both of them would be excellent resources. Plus, there's the whole Rocket City Camaro Club, which meets for lunch regularly, and the Limestone County Mustang Club, and Rocket City Mustang Club, which both have great members that will give you great feedback at their monthly meetings. I think after hitting all these clubs' meetings and talking to them, you'd have all the answers you need.

As far as the Accord and G37 coupes. I personally think Honda's build quality is now on par with Ford, and while the G37 is nice, I'd look at the G37s since it has a better suspension. I haven't driven/ridden in one, but watching how the dampening works on speed bumps got my heart racing for a bone stock car.

Good luck man! And give me a call sometime so we can catch up. As you can tell, I've been working super-hard to get back on track with HCS event coverage, but I've got to catch up with you too!
Old January 27th   #3
secondhandloser
secondhandloser
has no status.

*5.0 fanboy disclaimer*

Marking this as a thread to come back to when I have time to lay out the full story.

The short answer is, IMO, the Camaro is nowhere near playing in the same league as the stang. From the interior quality to the performance, to the price, the mustang pretty much owns. From an exterior perspective, most would probably agree the Camaro looks better....but if you're like me, you buy a car to drive, not to look at.

I stepped from a 700hp s2k, and then a 370z, to the 5.0, and i'm damn impressed with it, if that tells you anything.

Last edited by secondhandloser; January 27th at 04:18 PM.
secondhandloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #4
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandloser View Post
The short answer is, IMO, the Camaro is nowhere near playing in the same league as the stang. From the interior quality to the performance, to the price, the mustang pretty much owns. From an exterior perspective, most would probably agree the Camaro looks better....but if you're like me, you buy a car to drive, not to look at.
They're both great cars, but this sums up my personal opinion on them.

I've been in and out of a LOT of both of these cars and the Mustang just feels like a much more solid and comfortable car. Not to mention the visability in the Mustang is 100x better than the Camaro.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #5
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

I hate mustangs. But I'd have the mustang over the Camaro. Heck I'd take the v6 mustang over the SS Camaro. The v6 isn't shabby, slightly over 300 horses, and 30 mpg. Yes please.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #6
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

buy the Camaro, put some aftermarket heads and intake on it, and sell the OE stuff to me

you have dealt with basically the same chassis as the Camaro already. a lot of the chassis geometry and engineering come from the same place as your G8 did. the LSx has a million times the aftermarket support of the Coyote. the exterior of the Camaro looks better. Camaro has IRS.

Mustang has a million aftermarket parts, has the same tried and true solid axle they have used for 500 years, has a better interior, nothing sounds like a Mustang.

the Camaro is supposed to be getting a facelift for the '13 model i believe.
i have heard of some issues with the auto trans in the Mustang.

i have also heard the Camaro and Mustang V8's may be getting direct injection.. be something big to wait for...
Old January 27th   #7
sappa
sappa
has no status.

06 g t o

I have an 06 gto for sale Blue 6 speed 32000 miles
sappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #8
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama
is stimulating the economy through burned rubber!!!

Automatic Camaros are no fun until they are tuned, if you plan to keep it stock, buy a manual or skip it all together... now when tuned?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVi8SpYBBbk

GM was VERY conservative with these cars, you can put down 420whp with BOLT-ONs only... people were up in arms when a Coyote 5.0 ran 11s with bolt-ons, not only did a LS1 do that in 1999, both the LS3 AND L99s had already did it in 2010, lol... not to mention the Pushrod SBC is ALWAYS a simple cam swap away from 60+whp...

mustang guys will talk bolt on for bolt on, they never want to talk cammed SBC

if you are wanting to race stock, Mustang all the way, if you intend to build a 8 second car, the Mustang will get their faster, if we're both putting $4000 in our car, good luck competing with a LS Series V8 in that race...

P.S. no one races stock

and its like this, the 5.0 comes with a FACTORY cold air intake, FACTORY 3.73s, and FACTORY shorty headers

give a Camaro, a CAI, some 3.73s, and Doug Thorley shorties and line them back up... guess who WON'T want that race
Headers(no cats), Catback, CAI, SLP UD Pullies, Ported TB, tune
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #9
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
The Camaro?

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #10
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama

...not exactly, lol
Old January 27th   #11
Ba Mustang
Ba Mustang
terrible forum

Eh they are both ugly cars and weigh too much. I honestly think ford made a mistake on the 2013 mustang by putting that GT500 styled front end on the cars. The new rear end is very nice though.

Camaro is a tank and interior is terrible, vision out of them is bad too.

Last edited by Ba Mustang; January 27th at 09:01 PM.
Ba Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #12
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappa View Post
I saw this posted by another guy on ls1gto.com

Thats a good deal on this car for the mileage.
Old January 27th   #13
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama

The Camaros interior is a very nice interior, the leather FINALLY feels like actual leather, before you had to buy a Cadillac to get soft leather from GM, lol... obviously its going to be an opinion, but I have no complaints:

one thing the Camaro does have going for, if you are a guy, girls: love them... not saying you should use your car to pull girls, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a car they flock to, lol

Mustangs have that factor as well, but I guess because other than the minor facelift this mustang has been out since 2005... people have grown tired of it, which is why Camaro has outsold it EVERY month its been produced, even when the 5.0 was introduced the SS still outsold(and continues to outsell) the 5.0, and the V6 is winning its war with the V6 mustang as well...

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; January 27th at 09:15 PM.
Old January 27th   #14
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama

I wasn't even in the market for a new Camaro... until I drove one, and 2 week later I had one, lol
Old January 27th   #15
sappa
sappa
has no status.

This is a really good car for the money. WE bought the car to ship overseas for our son in the air force but found out the day after purchasing we had to make modifications for car safety/environmental issues and ran into complications with shipping and insuring for him so now we must sell. Sorry to see it go. It's perfect inside with only a small scratch on the rear bumper. If interested call 256 603 1227
sappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson! View Post
i have also heard the Camaro and Mustang V8's may be getting direct injection.. be something big to wait for...
I was somehow thinking they already made that leap. It's going to be 500whp factory for all these soon, lol.
Quote:
Quote:
This is a really good car for the money. WE bought the car to ship overseas for our son in the air force but found out the day after purchasing we had to make modifications for car safety/environmental issues and ran into complications with shipping and insuring for him so now we must sell. Sorry to see it go. It's perfect inside with only a small scratch on the rear bumper. If interested call 256 603 1227
I've copied these to a for sale thread for you:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=5406

If you want to email me a picture, I'll add that too.
Old January 28th   #17
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
My personal opinion, I'm a Camaro fan but overall the Mustang kills the Camaro. Ever since they started building the Camaro again I have watch the reviews between Mustang vs Camaro vs Charger. To be completely honest it usually ends up the same way. The Mustang V6 out performed everyone of them as for the best value for your money. The Camaro was all the same, rear end heavy, handles horrible compared to the Mustang and can't handle hard turns easy. Only thing tho is the Charger usually finishes behind them. Now I haven't seen what all they have for the upcoming year but I have a feeling it's going to end up the same if Chevy and Dodge don't do some redesigning. I hate the truth but it is what it is .
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th   #18
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

Well, I drove two Camaro SS's this weekend. One was a 1SS, the other was a 2SS. Not too shabby. Both were autos. The first was a 2011 with 5k on the clock. The second was a 2010 with 23k on the clock and with the muffler delete mod. It actually seemed quite a bit quicker than the stock one. Maybe it was just the exhaust note talking.

Anyway, I didn't pull the trigger due to the overall dealer experience. Many cars, including the SS, had writing on the windows that stated they were going to transport them to the dealer auction. That afternoon/evening was supposed to be some big wholesale sale where people had one last chance to purchase before they took the cars to auction. Turns out that they were not offering anything less than Retail (at best) on the cars. I even had one sales manager tell me he couldn't trade wholesale to wholesale to which I responded "I was told that these cars were at wholesale prices, thus the sale"...he never really answered that question. All I know is that the price of the car was the same price they had on it weeks before.

Bottom line, I think I would buy the SS over the 5.0. I've yet to hear any major issues with the SS while I have some friends that have clutch and "missing" issues with their 5.0's. Apparently there's a few glitches floating around with the new cars that have yet to be resolved. I bet when the SS's come out with the new interiors...that'll be the car to have.

As for the M37...it had already sold.
Old January 30th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Sounds like you had a pretty good experience with the SS. Too bad the dealership experience wasn't so good. But we've been there before, haven't we? At least someone didn't lock the keys in your truck this time on the way home, lol.
Old January 30th   #20
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

The only one I've driven is my uncles SS. I have purposely not gone to the ford dealership to drive a new 5.0 because everyone I've talked to that owns one says they have no doubt I'll sign papers and own one. So the 5.0 owners I know say its a great car, and I could see myself owning one.
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote