Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old January 24th   #61
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post
We'll just have to agree, to disagree.
I think that's the only thing that can be agreed on when it comes to politics.
Quote:
I didn't realize you didn't allow that. Only one was a commercial link, the others were just public sites. Either way, no big deal.
Just for advertisers since they get indexed by search engines and add to their backlinks.
Quote:
Strange. Have you tried clearing cookies? The login is kept in a cookie that might have gotten corrupted. Happens to me every so often too.
Old January 24th   #62
aminga
aminga
has no status.

Send a message via MSN to aminga
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...2ODenV7:e3532:

What part of this would protect the pictures on HCS?
Old January 24th   #63
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminga View Post
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...2ODenV7:e3532:

What part of this would protect the pictures on HCS?
"Your Search Has Timed Out"

"Search results in THOMAS are temporary and are deleted 30 minutes after creation.Please try your search again."

What was the term you searched for or the clause you're asking about?

Last edited by Samir; January 24th at 08:12 PM. Reason: additional information
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th   #64
aminga
aminga
has no status.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3261:

The whole thing.
Old January 24th   #65
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
If you have a specific clause that you see in conflict with the HCS Terms of Service, I'd be happy to address your question.
Old January 25th   #66
aminga
aminga
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
If you have a specific clause that you see in conflict with the HCS Terms of Service, I'd be happy to address your question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I actually don't opposed this bill because it protects the copyrights and intellectual property rights of people like myself. Theft of these rights for years is what has prompted the creation of this bill since those that should have been enforcing these rights haven't taken the correct action. So the lobbying money has been turned to congress. And here we are.

The problem is that the bill is a really harsh reaction to the theft of years past and puts steep penalties in place that are sometimes out-of-line with the offense. I don't see this bill passing in its current form, but a milder more fair form would be important for content creators like me.

I have a current infringement issue with a local magazine. I'd rather be creating content than having to fight to protect it.
I don't know that it is in violation but since you are confident that this legislation will protect your intelectual property rights I'd like to know which part of the bill (in the link above) would do that.
Old January 25th   #67
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I don't know that it is in violation but since you are confident that this legislation will protect your intelectual property rights I'd like to know which part of the bill (in the link above) would do that.
As you so eloquently put it:
Quote:
The whole thing.
I read this bill months ago when it first came out and determined at that time that it was of no consequence and was good for IP protection. Unless it has undergone some radical revisions since then, I think that my original assessment should still be okay.

If there is a specific section of the bill that you see that is in conflict with the HCS Terms of Service, please do identify that clause as it maybe something I missed.

It is important to note that I have personally dealt with IP issues in a real way for many years now. I understand that many of you may disagree with my position. But unless you have dealt with these issues personally or can empathize and understand the plight of IP creators in terms of protection, you will not be able to see both sides of the issue. The general public telling IP creators how their works should be protected is like telling the chef how best to cook in his own kitchen.

The purpose of this topic was to bring this issue to light and garner support for it. However, it is in the opinion of the creator of this site, which in itself is IP, that these bills actually will help protect IP such as this site from being misused and abused.

Discussion is welcome, but please be mindful of Section 5.g of the Terms of Service of this site.
Old January 27th   #68
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
*cough*

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th   #69
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It's all about the dollar amount. If you're stealing a billion dollars in merchandise, there's a hefty fine for that.

Besides, does prison really work for hardened criminals? I've gone with a friend to pick up an inmate from Limestone that finally finished their sentence. He was a shell of a man now, his rage and criminal instincts deteriorated by age and discovery of faith. He would probably die within 5 years. But the stories he told from the inside were mindless and brutal. Worse than animals. Punishment yes, but if someone is re-released, they have even more criminal tools.
Old January 28th   #70
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Schimtz isn't even quilt of anything. I am pretty damn sure people sign a TOS for megaupload that says "you will not upload copyrighted material" and that a lot of my stuff was deleted from my personal megaupload account because it was copyrighted even though I did not publicly share those links and only used it to access my own copies of my own cds that I bought in a store from different locations. And I will entirely da&%ed if I can't make copies of something I payed for.

Okay yeah, maybe he made some money off that website because people were paying to use it to download pirated software/movies/music. I know he was making money off adds. But heck, 50 years? No... they could have fined him sure. I would have probably been okay with that. But basically what they are saying is that this guy, who was just providing a service, is worse than the drug dealers, killers, rapists, and what have you. No that is just plain wrong.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th   #71
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
I am pretty damn sure people sign a TOS...
Easy on the tone and language. Keep mind the HCS TOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
Okay yeah, maybe he made some money off that website because people were paying to use it to download pirated software/movies/music. I know he was making money off adds. But heck, 50 years? No... they could have fined him sure. I would have probably been okay with that. But basically what they are saying is that this guy, who was just providing a service, is worse than the drug dealers, killers, rapists, and what have you. No that is just plain wrong.
Ads don't make the type of money that content creators lost. That's where the sentence comes from. I mean, Wall Street convictions go far beyond this one. And that was just money.

Comparing the crimes by the sentences isn't probably the best way to compare them. Until you are harmed as a content creator, you don't know the sting. It's pretty enraging.
Old January 28th   #72
Beckham
Beckham

Enraging like someone murdering one of your friends?

Come on. I have seen plenty of murderers get less than 20 years. Taking the life of someone cannot have a price put on it because life is priceless.

50 years is absurd.

Last edited by Beckham; January 28th at 10:42 AM.
Old January 28th   #73
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.

If you choose to kill, then you deserve the same punishment. Given these circumstances, my tax dollars won't have to help support a worthless person in prison and they may actually think before they kill a person if they know that they will suffer the same circumstances. 20 years is a joke
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th   #74
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

I'm glad that this bill will protect piracy and ip's. The website I do for a company had some issues about 2 years ago to due with IP protection. We finally got it straightend out and then had some hackers putting garbage on our site which in turned got flagged by Google. We had subscribed to this service and it has done wonders for keeping our site clean. That and some new safety software and different upload software.
Old January 28th   #75
Beckham
Beckham

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
I'm glad that this bill will protect piracy and ip's. The website I do for a company had some issues about 2 years ago to due with IP protection. We finally got it straightend out and then had some hackers putting garbage on our site which in turned got flagged by Google. We had subscribed to this service and it has done wonders for keeping our site clean. That and some new safety software and different upload software.
So your issue was with security because of hackers, not people pirating the content. Correct?

Old January 28th   #76
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Yeah more like an IP hack
Old January 28th   #77
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Well he didn't do anything wrong. He provided a file storage host. I can't think of any possible way for these file storage sites to continue if what he did is worth 50 years in prison. I doubt there is software that could possibly keep up with what people are uploading, especially if it is in a rar archive or a 7zip archive that has been split.

The people uploading and providing links to the infringed media the guilty parties.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th   #78
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

the crime is supposed to fit the punishment... here, not even close.
$>life?
Old January 28th   #79
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
Enraging like someone murdering one of your friends?

Come on. I have seen plenty of murderers get less than 20 years. Taking the life of someone cannot have a price put on it because life is priceless.

50 years is absurd.
Probably not. But it's not as light-hearted as you make it out to be. Like I stated before, you're not in a position to make a proper comparison because you haven't been in the victim's shoes.

So if murderers are getting less than 20yrs, maybe the problem isn't that the 50yrs is too much, but 20yrs is too little.
Old January 28th   #80
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
Interesting site. Seems like a great service too!

But IP in this thread is an abbreviation for Intellectual Property versus referring to the Internet Protocol.