Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old January 22nd   #1
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Racing Heroes

I would like to introduce a new program - Racing Heroes.

Racing Heroes is a program I am developing to provide the opportunity to compete in motorsports, on a regular basis, to our wounded warriors who have suffered spinal cord and amputation injuries. This program is intended to help those who would require hand controls to drive.

I have purchased a Racing Kart (WKA 6.5 Clone), equipped it with hand controls, and modified it for Autocross. I have tested the Kart as far as I can. Now I need one or more disabled people who are willing to help me continue developing this program in preparation for the upcoming race season. I need feedback from the end-user group.

I attended the TAC Performance Driving School in March of 2011, never dreaming that I would be able to participate in local racing events. Fast forward nearly a year, and I have participated in every local Autocross event I could find. Before I became disabled, I was an avid sports enthusiast. My disability is such that I canít sit or stand for long periods of time, and I canít walk long distances. Forget running. As far as I could tell, sports were over for me.

Then I found Autocross. I can participate in a great sports activity that require sitting, dexterity, clear thought, and the ability to control a vehicle moving at a high speed--all for less than a minute at a time. Perfect! This has been life changing for me. I want to extend this benefit to other disabled drivers.

Race to Live - Live to Race
My email address is in my contact info.
Old January 22nd   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Super! So we need some disabled drivers, huh?
Old January 22nd   #3
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Yes, I do need disabled drivers. There is no other activity like this, that a wheelchair bound individual can participate in. On a regular basis even.
Old January 22nd   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

There was one guy in the car show scene at one point that was wheelchair bound, but the last time I saw him was at the now defunct Danville Boys Ranch car show.
Old January 22nd   #5
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Here it the Kart hauling my 6'4"/230lbs around testing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV_hSyfMH18
Old January 29th   #6
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

The Wounded Warrior Program is on board 100%. All modifications have been done to the Kart to make it - very fun. Its quick, and handles great. We had a test session yesterday, and everyone quickly adapted to the hand controls. We have our first driver, a local wounded warrior who is wheel chair bound, and very excited to both drive again, and do something active.

Last edited by G_Horneck; January 29th at 10:16 AM.
G_Horneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
The Wounded Warrior Program is on board 100%. All modifications have been done to the Kart to make it - very fun. Its quick, and handles great. We had a test session yesterday, and everyone quickly adapted to the hand controls. We have our first driver, a local wounded warrior who is wheel chair bound, and very excited to both drive again, and do something active.

KUDOS!!!! Such great news! I can't wait to see them out running the kart at an event.

Once we've got media from it, we should create a press release and distribute it to local media.
Old February 2nd   #8
GsxJawsh
GsxJawsh
Is ready for this summer!

Quote:
I would like to introduce a new program - Racing Heroes.

Racing Heroes is a program I am developing to provide the opportunity to compete in motorsports, on a regular basis, to our wounded warriors who have suffered spinal cord and amputation injuries. This program is intended to help those who would require hand controls to drive.

I have purchased a Racing Kart (WKA 6.5 Clone), equipped it with hand controls, and modified it for Autocross. I have tested the Kart as far as I can. Now I need one or more disabled people who are willing to help me continue developing this program in preparation for the upcoming race season. I need feedback from the end-user group.

I attended the TAC Performance Driving School in March of 2011, never dreaming that I would be able to participate in local racing events. Fast forward nearly a year, and I have participated in every local Autocross event I could find. Before I became disabled, I was an avid sports enthusiast. My disability is such that I canít sit or stand for long periods of time, and I canít walk long distances. Forget running. As far as I could tell, sports were over for me.

Then I found Autocross. I can participate in a great sports activity that require sitting, dexterity, clear thought, and the ability to control a vehicle moving at a high speed--all for less than a minute at a time. Perfect! This has been life changing for me. I want to extend this benefit to other disabled drivers.

Race to Live - Live to Race
My email address is in my contact info.
you wouldnt happen to live on elmore would you? i saw my neighbor in one of these a few weeks ago and he has a big wooden fence aswell?
Old February 2nd   #9
ray
ray

Quote:
We have our first driver, a local wounded warrior who is wheel chair bound, and very excited to both drive again, and do something active.
This is absolutely awesome. It brought a huge smile to my face thinking about someone doing this for another person.
Old February 2nd   #10
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

GSX... on my block? Yes I ran it up and down the block a couple times, crashing and banging over the crap pavement... ouch.
Old February 2nd   #11
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Thanks rayman. But my driver is a no go (third one now). So I have what I think is a good idea, but have exhausted every avenue I can think of in securing someone willing to try something new and potentially... very fun. Got any ideas on how to locate a deserving candidate?
Old February 2nd   #12
ray
ray

The only place I could think would be the various disabled veterans groups in town that may be able to put up a listing or drum up awareness for what you are doing. I'm sure they have a directory and someone in there might be listed as an enthusiast.

Maybe even try some angles on the Arsenal as well. They would know more about the various groups and organizations (federal and private) that handle these sorts of things.

You might even be able to put up some listings on local boards (such as this one) that will get word out.

I just don't know of anyone personally
Old February 2nd   #13
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Thanks though. Keep an eye out. I really have spent the last 3 months contacting every single service organization listed anywhere. Called all over the Arsenal, DAV, American Legion, Vet Admin, and on and on.
Old February 2nd   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
But my driver is a no go (third one now).
What happened to the guy we talked about on the phone?
Old February 2nd   #15
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Got me. No answer to phone calls, or emails. Think its a sign.
Old February 2nd   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Interesting. So what exactly do we need at this point? A disabled driver?
Old February 2nd   #17
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Not sure. You would think with a population in the greater metro area well over 400,000 there would be a few candidates...
Old February 2nd   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Well, how about just a driver?
Old February 2nd   #19
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

I need to make an instructional video and marketing materials. If you have never seen Autocross, like most people, you have no idea of the concept of the program. I tried to do it alone, but not so easy with little plastic cones from Target blowing around in the wind. Where would I rent traffic cones? Spending $500 buying enough for a photo shoot is out of the question.
Old February 3rd   #20
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Quote:
I need to make an instructional video and marketing materials. If you have never seen Autocross, like most people, you have no idea of the concept of the program. I tried to do it alone, but not so easy with little plastic cones from Target blowing around in the wind. Where would I rent traffic cones? Spending $500 buying enough for a photo shoot is out of the question.
Call 256-427-6850 I work at Traffic Engeneering and they let people sign out our small cones all the time. I think we have 2-300 small cones. I know people use them for running events and other random things. Call and ask for Karen Brown and when you talk to her mention that Clint thought I might be able to use some of the small signs and markings cones that others use. Be sure you tell her you are doing this for some local disabled veterens! I don't think she will have a problem with it anyway

Last edited by clintjohns; February 3rd at 07:39 AM.
clintjohns is offline   Reply With Quote