Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Koss Motorsports Alabama Drift, SPL, Car Show Championship
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

July 28th 12:00 PM to 10:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Joe Davis Stadium, 3125 Leeman Ferry Rd, Huntsville, Alabama 35801

From the facebook event listing:

KMS Alabama Drift, SPL, Car Show Championship!!!
No WayZ but Side WayZ Tour Championship $5000.00+ Cash
Calling All Imports, Sport Compacts, Mini Trucks, Classic, Street Rods, Muscle Cars, Trucks & Bikes for the KMS Drift Tour In Alabama
2 Great Dates:

July 28th 2-10ish (Drivers in at 12 Noon)
October27th Halloween Drift 10-6 (Drivers in at 8AM)

3125 Leeman Ferry Rd.
Huntsville, Alabama 35801
Will Have:
KMS Kutie Contest, Food, Vendors, Wing Eating Contest
Bands, DJ, Car Show, Car Meet, Sound Off & Glow Off, Swap Meet and Much More
General Admission $15.00/$10.00 ($5.00 off with coupon printed from site or on flyer)

Car Show or Sound Off: $30.00 Driver Only, with judging around 5:30-6pm.

Car Meet: $20.00 Driver and Passanger

Drifting: $75.00 Pre Register (closes 1 month before) and $90.00 after that Day of 105.00
Tandem Team Battle: $40.00 dollar buy in per team, Winning team will receive all monies/purse

Glow Off: $20.00

Autocross:

Sponsors:
Koss MotorSports, KMS Drift, Hooters, Dyno On The Go, Rockauto
PAS Mag (Performance Auto and Sound), Car Show Nationals
more info www.kossmotorsports.com
Steve 803-320-3193
always check out web site to make sure the event was not changed or canceled
Series Info: http://www.kossmotorsports.com/KMS_D...p_Series-2.pdf
Series Schedule: http://www.kossmotorsports.com/2012_Series_Schedule.pdf
Registration Link http://kossmotorsports.com/kms-drift/
https://www.facebook.com/events/164806073628392/

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkoss View Post
I also need 1 respectable / Dependable person for running / managing the AutoX.

The way we prefer to run AutoX is sort of like a "Test n Tune". Our last 2 events that we have added AutoX to have done quite well, we pulled in 25-30 drivers. Each driver had about 30-40 passes by the end of the day under their belt. Which is far more passes then any autox event I've personally ever attended.

If you are interested / Have some one in mind, Call me @ 386 438 9012

my name is Brent.
Upload your media here to have it appear below.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

It had been a few months since the first ever official drift event in Huntsville, and today's event was gearing up to be even bigger than the last with drift, autocross, and a car show at the same venue at the same time. Over 45 drifters registered even with the extreme heat that had a few drivers cutting out early. Even Grant who was helping me with event coverage almost passed out from the heat. Special thanks to Anthony (gorkoracing) for catching him before he got too far gone, and Luke from site sponsor Wheel Fix-It help keeping us all hydrated. I would've been heat exhausted too if it wasn't for them.

My day started a bit later than I wanted since I couldn't prep cameras ahead of time. But the commute was interesting as I ran into this very unique vehicle:

Once I got to the event, I found Grant had already covered the car show and paddock areas. One of the requests from the drivers in the last event was for more video. So this time, Grant primarily shot pictures while I shot video. And thanks to a new memory card, I was able to shoot almost 2 hours of video. The only disadvantage to this much video is that reviewing takes, well, 2 hours. Much different than photos that can be reviewed one a second. But hopefully the drivers will find the efforts worth the wait.

Grant and I weren't the only ones shooting media. Lots of photographers were out there--many just starting out. I gave out a lot of free advice while shooting video, and you can hear some of it amongst the sound of screeching tires. The funny thing is, most people were trying to shoot manually versus letting the ultra-smart cameras do what they're good at. I'm not saying shoot fully automatic, but most of the time getting a killer shot is more about framing and being at the right place than camera settings. And a shot like this illustrates that point well--shot with a used camera that costs only $100 and with no post-processing:

The event arrangement was a bit different than last time--the previous drift lot was used for parking/paddock; the previous parking/paddock lot was used for autocross; and the previous car show lot was now used for drift. The drift course was a bit more technical than the last, and it did take the drivers a few runs to get smooth. But once that was accomplished, tandem runs opened a whole new challenge.

There were three main clipping cones, but what always caught my eye were the light poles. No one hit them (as far as I know), but there were a few close calls. Luckily all the drivers are well versed in car control, so any contact would have been more of 'love tap' than anything. And there was some really amazing car control during the tandem runs--much of it captured on video.

It rained for a short period, but that didn't stop the events, including the drifting, which lasted well into the evening. And since the parking lot lights were not on, it was drifting in the dark--and even tandem in the dark. Luckily, I can shoot nightvision video and have an infrared extender, so I have a lot of that captured on film.

When I left at 9:45pm, I was pretty exhausted. But the drifting was still in full effect with a DJ spinning some tunes into the night. See everyone next time!
5 members will be attending this event:

Old July 6th   #21
BeenJaminJames
BeenJaminJames
is busy destroying tires.

Ok so Gary and I got together today to brainstorm on the course design. The video posted above shows a looong right-hand turn with a few kinks thrown in, which we thought might get old given the seat time we're shooting for. New course flows very well and should offer a variety of features better suited for a long day of fun. Hopefully he'll get an updated video posted shortly. Hope to see you all there!

"Yeah, I'm on a drug, it's called autocross. WINNING!!!" -- Charlie Sheen's alter ego

Go ahead, take my advice. I'm not gonna use it anyway.
BeenJaminJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th   #22
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13ATW View Post
the dark red s13 coupe with the black hood and trunk, had some bad understeer issues most of the day.

i think you took a pic of me at the last wednesday meet when i was sitting on my car.
Sweet. Is this you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
If you have ever wanted to try Autocross, this is a great opportunity. The KMS Test & Tune is a non timed event, with an emphasis on just having fun, learning the sport, and honing skills. Every driver will get 30-40 runs during the day. The course is tight, around 35-45 seconds long, and should be easy on cars and their tires. For $40, its a bargain for a day of massive seat time. We don't even have to be up at the crack of dawn to make this event! Drivers arrive at noon for tech.

Here is a course preview - (designed in Live for Speed)

http://youtu.be/DSFqe3dbTdM
Very cool course! Lots of seat time to dial-in hitting apexes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenJaminJames View Post
Ok so Gary and I got together today to brainstorm on the course design. The video posted above shows a looong right-hand turn with a few kinks thrown in, which we thought might get old given the seat time we're shooting for. New course flows very well and should offer a variety of features better suited for a long day of fun. Hopefully he'll get an updated video posted shortly. Hope to see you all there!
Thank you guys for spearheading this and making it happen. With the pavement at JHP eroding, it's going to be important to have other autocross events in the city.
Old July 6th   #23
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Freeman View Post
Ironic that the City wont let us autocross there. I would hate for something to happen and reflect bad against the local clubs. But it is good track time. Test and tune kind of thing.
They actually have in the past, but the courses have to be very tight. There was an incident there many years in the past at a TAC/TVR event. I don't think the venue had any issues, but the club decided it was too tight to try to do anything fun.

Koss has their own insurance policy and are fully responsible for this event and the participants. Their insurance policy also is quite a bit higher than the one TAC/TVR uses.
Old July 6th   #24
ray
ray

Figures! This event would be scheduled for the weekend I am on-call again! That is twice this event has fallen on a weekend that I have to be readily available! Haha
Old July 6th   #25
S13ATW
S13ATW
poor attempt at drifting in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Sweet. Is this you?
yeah that would be me with kane riding along
S13ATW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th   #26
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Intended course layout, from driver seat -

http://youtu.be/IwBhJJpwsSY
Old July 7th   #27
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
Figures! This event would be scheduled for the weekend I am on-call again! That is twice this event has fallen on a weekend that I have to be readily available! Haha
What time are you on-call? This event is scheduled later in the evening than the last time.
Quote:
yeah that would be me with kane riding along
Cool. I hope you'll have your understeer issue solved and look like this in all your runs this time.
Quote:

Nice and smooth, lots of sweeping corners with varying apexes.

So are you guys designing the course from scratch or is Brent helping you guys with it?
Old July 7th   #28
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Quote:
So are you guys designing the course from scratch or is Brent helping you guys with it?
It was up to us to come with something to do in the space allotted.
Old July 7th   #29
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
It was up to us to come with something to do in the space allotted.
Well, I know you guys have the experience to pull it off.

Strange though as that was different than the conversation me and Brent had. Maybe he just saw how you guys had better course ideas than they did.
Old July 7th   #30
S13ATW
S13ATW

Quote:
Cool. I hope you'll have your understeer issue solved and look like this in all your runs this time.
im hoping so to

i replaced all the bushings and ditched the shock spring combo i had for coilovers. i just need a good set of tires up front now
Old July 7th   #31
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Do you have to pre register to run this event? Anyone know?
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th   #32
S13ATW
S13ATW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Freeman View Post
Do you have to pre register to run this event? Anyone know?
dont believe so, i think you can pay at the gate like last time but it will cost more
Old July 9th   #33
TGR 96
TGR 96
My name is Chip

Quote:

Looks like there is some fun to be had on that autoX course. For $40, that really is a lot of seat time per dollar. I paid $40 for six runs in Birmingham two weekends ago!

Last edited by TGR 96; July 9th at 03:10 PM.
TGR 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th   #34
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

The entire idea is just to have fun, learn, and practice the sport. This is not a competition, so it can't be compared to the local points race, or our local Autocross events. KMS hopes to introduce Autocross to a group that has not been exposed to the sport before.
Old July 10th   #35
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
dont believe so, i think you can pay at the gate like last time but it will cost more
This. I think it gets more expensive as it gets closer. You may have already missed the first cut off. Check out there web site for details.

If i was going to be in town I'd attend this but I'll be in Charlotte that weekend for IA.
Old July 10th   #36
smkoss
smkoss
has no status.

Sorry I have not been paying attention to the forum, As I recently have been EXTREMELY busy, This is a busy month for KMS + My own personal Stuff down in Florida, But I cannot express how stoked KMS is to come back to the Huntsville area. You guys are great!!

AutoX is cheaper then drifting, As we are only doing AutoX for fun, Drifting is a "fun" driver day, but all in all its a practice for the Competition, therefore costs more. Especially since we are taking $10 out of each driver registration, and putting it towards the final cash pot for Nov. 24th.

You can pay the final day, But it will cost you more, I cannot express how much easier it is, to handle all registration paper work / $$ prior to the event. It allows us to have a far greater organization, Getting you guy's in and Tech'd Pronto, inwhich you guy's can begin to make runs. Seat time is something we pride our self's on, So we give you an incentive to pay early.

Any more questions / concerns call me @ 386 438 9012.
smkoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th   #37
smkoss
smkoss
has no status.

Need more hype!! You guy's don't seem nearly as excited as to see us as we are to see Huntsville Alabama!

May have 2-3 Florida Drifters coming out for some tandem action aswell
smkoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th   #38
S13ATW
S13ATW

I'm hyped

saving every penny so i can register next weekend. still need to get another set of tires though
Old July 14th   #39
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

I'm excited...never been to a drift event and plan to cover it for the site. Woohoo! lol
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th   #40
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

10 days till the event, and not even 20 entrants! Too many motorsports events going on that weekend?