Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Old October 9th   #1
toyoman
toyoman
has no status.

Car/Truck computer

Jaymack... i talked to you on saturday... when you are ready for the computer install let me know and i will help you out...

give me a call...

-Josh
874-2786
toyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

What type of system will this be? I actually was thinking on how small these things have become and how difficult it would be to have an embedded system designed that uses a 6gb microdrive for storage.
Old October 10th   #3
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
We were discussing "Pimp My Ride" when they installed the on-board computer in that d0od's scion. I looked into it, but decided it was a little too expensive, however Josh told me he could hook me up, so we'll have to do some talking about it.

Right now Josh, I am about to leave for Nashville - I am having surgery tomorrow and when I get back it should take about another week for me to get back on my feet. I'll holler at you soon and we can discuss it. I would want to do this the same time as when I have my system installed and thats about 6-8 months down the road.
Old October 10th   #4
toyoman
toyoman
has no status.

sounds good..., samir the way i usually install is either to put the system under the seat or in the trunk... works really well, i hope to have mine hooked back up soon... since i broke it, oops...
Old October 12th   #5
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

What did you do to break it?
Old October 12th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Computers are really sensitive to vibrations and other stuff you find in a car with a big system. Hard drives are only designed to withstand so much before failing. With the advent of solid-state storage (ie memory cards), it's very possible to make an embedded computer that's small and tough. Of course, one could just get a Panasonic toughbook and just be done with it.
Old October 12th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Hey Jay, you'll find this interesting: www.mp3car.com
Old October 12th   #8
toyoman
toyoman
has no status.

That is the site i learned all my "carputer" stuff from... And how did i break it? Well a rolling floorjack in the trunk does a tiny bit of damage when it rolls into the case... oops...
Old October 16th   #9
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
Computers are really sensitive to vibrations and other stuff you find in a car with a big system. Hard drives are only designed to withstand so much before failing. With the advent of solid-state storage (ie memory cards), it's very possible to make an embedded computer that's small and tough. Of course, one could just get a Panasonic toughbook and just be done with it.
I still havent decided whether putting one in will be a good idea or not. I mean, I have a laptop and I can put it in and take it out as I see fit, but something about an on-board is just cool
Old October 16th   #10
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyoman
That is the site i learned all my "carputer" stuff from... And how did i break it? Well a rolling floorjack in the trunk does a tiny bit of damage when it rolls into the case... oops...
See...now that sucks. lol I wouldnt laugh, but we've all been there when something expensive breaks cause of a stupid move.