Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

35th Annual Ellen McAnelly Memorial St. Patrick's Day Parade
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

March 17th 10:00 AM to 01:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Be at Parkway Place Mall Dillard's side upper deck by 10am for caravan to staging area at 224 Spragins
Contact: Samir 615-512-5520, www.huntsvillestpatricksday.com

We've been invited to ride in the annual Saint Patrick's Day parade. I want to see as many green cars and trucks as possible, but if you're only green with envy, come with what you have. If your car isn't green, just dress up like a leprechaun!

Mark yourself as attending if you are coming, and remove yourself if your plans change. Currently, we have 5-10 slots, but they will give us more if we need them. Let's show Huntsville the Huntsville Car Scene!

The Vets with Vettes and Alabama-Tennesee Viper Club are also in the parade, so we'll have great company. One of the Vipers is parading the Parade Princess.

The event is rain or shine, although in the 34 years of the parade, it has never rained on the parade. That's a good enough weather forecast for me.

There's a total of five organizations from the scene participating in the parade:
  • Christian Motorcyclists Association (CMA) Forgiven Rider #582
  • Rocket City HOG Chapter 1535 Harley Owners Group
  • Vets with Vettes
  • Viper Club of America - TN/AL Region
  • Huntsville Car Scene.com

We will meet at the Parkway Place Mall upper deck on the Dillard's side for a caravan to the staging area at 224 Spragins Street. We'll leave from Parkway Place at 10am and go down Parkway to the downtown exit, take Clinton until Spragins, and then a left on Spragins that should dead-end in the staging area.

Here's a rough layout of the staging area:

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

A fine morning greeted Ernie Tipton, gorkoracing, GsxJawsh, NiTeZ, racinfast002, RatTrap, sappa, and our friends at Wheel Fix-it. We were worried that the Wheel Fix-it box truck may not have been able to make it up the ramp at Parkway Place to make it upstairs, but it did.

Everyone slowly trickled in and we test fitted the Huntsville Car Scene.com banner on the Wheel Fix-It truck. It fit better on there than on GsxJawsh's truck, although his truck could have handled it too. I'm glad we had both of you out there because it never hurts to have backups. Steve heard about our gathering, so he hung out with us as well. Brittany came fully decked out ready to spread some Irish cheer. RatTrap even had 'Happy St Patrick's Day' on his truck doors. Nice! And he had an extra hat that I donned to create the perfect Huntsville Car Scene Irish outfit, lol. Ernie Tipton and sappa had the classics of the bunch, and both green. We had a good mixture of everything in the scene--classic, modern, off-road and on. All we needed was a couple of green bikes to round out the mix. Maybe next year.

The Vets with Vettes were meeting nearby at Cracker Barrel, so we waited to hear them pass by. But they left quiet as the wind as we never saw them. I found out later that Cracker Barrel was so slammed that it broke their group up to other places like IHOP, so there wasn't the large parade of Corvettes like normal.

We made our way downtown easily and without breaking up the group. Once we arrived, we found ourselves cramped into the tinyest parking lot ever.

After I perused the staging area, I discovered that there was plenty of room for the Corvettes, Vipers, and the Rocket City Harley Owners Group. Both us and the Christian Motorcycle Association were crammed into this tiny parking lot along with another group. It made leaving for the parade difficult to say the least. It's the one thing I'd definitely like to see addressed next year since the parade falls on a Sunday and should have a strong turnout like this year.

There were a lot of cool things to see in the staging areas like my friends at the Alabama Ghostbusters, who were out in full force including their chameleon-painted Delorean:

As well as the Alabama Garrison of 501st Legion and Tranquility Base Rebel Legion:

Media was present, although not as much as the Christmas parade:

But because this year the parade fell on a Saturday, the crowd turnout was great:

And course, there were our fellow enthusiasts like the Rocket City Harley Owners Group:

and the Alabama/Tennesee Viper Club:

and local Corvette club, Vets with Vettes:

and the Huntsville chapter of the Christian Motorcycle Association:

and of course, us! Huntsville Car Scene.com:

It was a long walk along the parade route as Brittany and I quickly discovered. We both walked a mile in 30 minutes, all while interacting with the crowd. But it was a blast.

I want to thank everyone that helped organize, put things together, and come hang out with us, as well as the Huntsville St. Patricks Day Parade for inviting us. We'll definitely have to do this again next year.
12 members will be attending this event:

Old February 16th   #2
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
I'm in!
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th   #3
Zreaper
Zreaper
would rather be driving

What kinda rides you looking for?
Zreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreaper View Post
What kinda rides you looking for?
Green cars, leprechauns, green tint, 4 leaf clovers on a car, anything really. We just want to try to add something neat to the celebration. What do you have in mind?
Old February 18th   #5
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

Green dye in my Cry02 purge! HEHEHEHE! If I could afford it, some green strobes in the grill . Hmmm I could always airbrush a huge 4 leaf clover on the hood...I gotta paint it anyways. Ok I'm going to have to stop, I'm going way over board for a one day parade lol.
Old February 19th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Hey, just dress up in green and it's all good.
Old February 19th   #7
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

One problem with that...I don't own anything green lol. I'm still putting the dye in the C02 tank tho lol.
Old February 19th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

When you can't buy--rent. I'm sure some cheap leprechaun costume is out there. And just dye your beard green, lol.
Old February 19th   #9
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

LMFAO! I do that every 4th of July..it's not that easy to get out either lol. I can't find the pic for some reason. I'll find it later and show you how I do it lol.
Old March 1st   #10
RatTrap
RatTrap
-Rat is where it's at!.

Exclamation Get your green on!

I bought some temporary neon green art paint,
some stencils, and some shamrocks as well as
a green driving hat.

The stores are selling out of these items to make
way for teh Easter displays so a lot ig one or
marked down.

Anyone want a bright green racing stripe?
Bring some tape and I will hook you up.
RatTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st   #11
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

lol. I just might take you up on that hehehe.
Old March 8th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatTrap View Post
I bought some temporary neon green art paint,
some stencils, and some shamrocks as well as
a green driving hat.

The stores are selling out of these items to make
way for teh Easter displays so a lot ig one or
marked down.

Anyone want a bright green racing stripe?
Bring some tape and I will hook you up.
Awesome! I guess the fast change of seasons can be a benefit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTeZ View Post
lol. I just might take you up on that hehehe.
Do it!

This is the same day as the Twickenham Auto Club driving school, so I'm going to try to hit both. Any help in organizing everyone is most appreciated. And feel free to give me a call if anyone needs help getting there, has questions, etc, that aren't addressed here, 615-512-5520.
Old March 9th   #13
LagoGarda
LagoGarda
is back from trip to Lago Garda.

To be together , need to meet up somewhere at around 9:30 and cruise to Spragins together.
LagoGarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagoGarda View Post
To be together , need to meet up somewhere at around 9:30 and cruise to Spragins together.
Sounds like you've done this before. Where do you suggest? I'm thinking some place close like like the cul-d-sac road in front of Spring Hill Suites. Thoughts?

The Vets with Vettes are also going to be in the parade and will be meeting at Cracker Barrel on Drake & South Parkway for breakfast prior to the event. We could always join them, but I don't want to wake up that early since I'll have a late night from Friday events.
Old March 13th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I'll be getting the HCS banner sometime this week, so I'll need to meet up with you GsxJawsh to test fit it. I've got your number, so just let me know when a convenient time may be.
Old March 13th   #16
RatTrap
RatTrap
-Rat is where it's at!.

Are we still doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagoGarda View Post
How about the Wal-Mart parking lot at Parkway and Drake?
(Across the street from Cracker Barrell)

Many of the Rat Rods in Arab met up and pulled in together
at the 2nd Friday cruise in.

I need to do some decorating before the parade starts, but have to
do it at the parade staging area.

I am up for anywhere in the area.
RatTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

How's the parking and egress there? I think I recall the entrances having huge humps.
Old March 13th   #18
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

Yeah it would be easier to meet at the Parkway Place Mall, lower deck, then Walmart.
Old March 13th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

How about the upper deck far end of Dillards closest to Parkway? Then we can pull out onto Drake, take parkway and the downtown Clinton exit which should dump us pretty close to the staging area.
Old March 13th   #20
Wheel Fix It
Wheel Fix It
Is spinning wheels!
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Would any one mind if a 10' box truck roll's with you guys? lol
Huntsville, Al 35816
256-830-9992
Monday-Friday
8am-5pm
Wheel Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote