Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old March 3rd   #1
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Is Nissan reviving its Datsun brand for a low-cost return in 2014?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/02/i...return-in-201/
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd   #2
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Quote:
Japan's Nikkei news service is reporting that Nissan is dusting the cobwebs off its Datsun brand, dropped back in 1986, and preparing it for a return in 2014. Loyalists will be disappointed to learn that the "new" Datsun badge won't be riveted to the nose of any upcoming Fairlady Z in the near future – it probably isn't even coming to North America. Instead, the report indicates that Nissan will use Datsun as a backup brand for low-priced vehicles manufactured and sold in emerging Asian markets. According to the Nikkei, Datsun-branded vehicles will be priced about 500,000 yen ($6,200 USD) with annual sales goals of about 300,000 units.

Rumors about Datsun's return have been circulating for years. But only now, with Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn pushing to expand the brand into new markets (e.g., Russia, India, Brazil and China), does it really start to make sense as way to protect the upmarket corporate Nissan identity from being associated with low-cost entry-level vehicles.

The return of Datsun is interesting, but a two-tier strategy is hardly new. For example, Volkswagen uses its entry-level SEAT and Skoda brands to capture the low-cost market (though the two have moved upscale), while General Motors (working with SAIC) recently launched Baojun to target first-time buyers in China. According to TheDetroitBureau.com, the Nikkei also notes that Nissan officials have not commented on the report
Quoted so you don't have to open a new tab/window.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Interesting. I remember when the Japanese brands were inventing brands like Acura and Infiniti to create a premium level brand, but now the opposite is also true. A sign of the economic times I guess.
Old March 11th   #4
wfochris
wfochris
has no status.

My first car was a Datsun 510. The emblem is still in my garage... man I hope they do this!
wfochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfochris View Post
My first car was a Datsun 510. The emblem is still in my garage... man I hope they do this!
Pic? I want to see it!