Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Old November 10th   #1
bwilson4web
bwilson4web
has no status.

Any hybrid electric events?

Hi folks,

I didn't have any hits on 'prius' with the search engine and was wondering if there are any hybrid-electric events or groups in the area?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
bwilson4web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th   #2
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

electric auto

When Penistar Electronics was owned by Chrysler they had a electric mini van. It would do better than 80 MPH. This was over 10 yrs ago. the shop was on wholesale st off of jordan lane. It shared space with the large trucks they were updating..I will try to recall the lead engineers name and post...
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th   #3
bwilson4web
bwilson4web
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9racer
When Penistar Electronics was owned by Chrysler they had a electric mini van. It would do better than 80 MPH. This was over 10 yrs ago. the shop was on wholesale st off of jordan lane. It shared space with the large trucks they were updating..I will try to recall the lead engineers name and post...
Thanks. If they'd have put a small, 20-30 hp diesel powered generator that cranked up up when the battery level ran low, they'd have had one of the first, hybrid electrics and the type of vehicle still not available. The 'prius plus' project is putting together what I'd really prefer and is one of the directions I'm headed with mine. I would like to invite him to speak.

What I'm thinking about doing is announce a hybrid-electric car rally in February. The goal would be a user-run, 'hybrid experience' meeting to share 'lessons learned' and technques. Anyone could come but speakers would be the owner-operators.

We would meet at Beauregard's on Jordan on a Saturday afternoon with some parking spaces reserved for 'show' hybrids and talks about hybrid driving techniques and technology. We'll invite service managers and car repair shops to share what is important to keeping these cars in good shape.

Bob Wilson

ps.http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/
Old November 11th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

From looking at your web site, you're into shortest-path and least-cost routes. This is something I've always been facinated with and experiment with on almost a daily basis in every aspect of my life.

I probably have some fuel conserving techniques I can share with you since I manage to get 40mpg out of my Galant and almost 26mpg in my over 350whp Corvette.

And I'm sure there are others out there that share some of the same interest in efficiency and hybrid vehicles. I think you could start a hybrid car club in the area with little effort. I'll help any way I can.
Old November 11th   #5
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Samir...get me over 9 mpg and I'll be happy. LoL
Old November 11th   #6
bwilson4web
bwilson4web
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
. . .

I probably have some fuel conserving techniques I can share with you since I manage to get 40mpg out of my Galant and almost 26mpg in my over 350whp Corvette.
There are a lot of techniques that work on gas-only cars as well as hybrids. Before the accident, my '91 Camry had gotten 38 mpg, city, versus the normal 32 mpg. I had adopted two techniques: (1) 'clutch' idle, and (2) predictive braking. For 'clutch' idle, crest a hill at the lowest possible safe speed and then push in clutch to minimize engine braking. Predictive braking is when approaching a red-light in the distance, brake early to 25-30 mph and 'coast' to the light. This gives the light a chance to change green before you have to come to a stop.

I think what would work is get a hybrid-electric group going and as we develop some stability, then open up a 'fuel only' auxillary for gas and diesels.

Quote:
And I'm sure there are others out there that share some of the same interest in efficiency and hybrid vehicles. I think you could start a hybrid car club in the area with little effort. I'll help any way I can.
As I form up my ideas, a sounding board would help. For example, my first thoughts are:

- Saturday afternoon, President's Day Weekend, 1:00-4:00 PM
- Reserve Beauregard's on Jordan lane's free meeting room
- Get permission from parking lot owner to 'reserve' 5 slots for show
- A web page to support group and membership
- Solicit papers and volunteers to help organize
- Negotiate announcements with local hybrid-electric dealers
- Send announcements to local repair and service shops
- Send public announcements to Huntsville, Decatur and Athens papers
- Kick-off meeting two weekends before to finalize program
- Door prizes for hybrid owners who bring cars

Success of the first meeting is whether or not we have folks who follow-up and help organize a second meeting. We'd probably shoot for the weekend before Memorial Day to have a second meet and invite the "fuel only" folks. With traditional gas hikes for the Memorial Day weekend, we should have no problem with a crowd.

Bob Wilson
Old November 11th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web
As I form up my ideas, a sounding board would help. For example, my first thoughts are:

- Saturday afternoon, President's Day Weekend, 1:00-4:00 PM
- Reserve Beauregard's on Jordan lane's free meeting room
- Negotiate announcements with local hybrid-electric dealers

Success of the first meeting is whether or not we have folks who follow-up and help organize a second meeting. We'd probably shoot for the weekend before Memorial Day to have a second meet and invite the "fuel only" folks. With traditional gas hikes for the Memorial Day weekend, we should have no problem with a crowd.

Bob Wilson
Wow, if you can put something like this together, I'll help promote it the best I can and give you whatever support I can offer. It sounds like a good plan.
Old November 12th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMack75
Samir...get me over 9 mpg and I'll be happy. LoL
I'd be lucky to be able to get 15 out of yours. A big block has that effect on fuel usage.
Old November 12th   #9
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Quote:
I'd be lucky to be able to get 15 out of yours. A big block has that effect on fuel usage.
Ahh...the price you pay for torque and horsepower...comes out to about $3.00 a gallon...at least 3 weeks ago it was. lol
Old November 12th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMack75
Ahh...the price you pay for torque and horsepower...comes out to about $3.00 a gallon...at least 3 weeks ago it was. lol
And you know, I don't understand why it is that much in our area. In the last month I've been to both NY and LA and the price for premium was well under $3, sometimes so low it's almost $2.50.
Old November 12th   #11
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Quote:
And you know, I don't understand why it is that much in our area. In the last month I've been to both NY and LA and the price for premium was well under $3, sometimes so low it's almost $2.50.
I heard the other day ont he radio that there are places in Georgia where its under $2
Old November 16th   #12
bwilson4web
bwilson4web
has no status.

Smile

The journey has started:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web

- Saturday afternoon, President's Day Weekend, Feb. 18, 12:00-4:00 PM
- Beauregard's on Jordan lane's meeting room
- Visited Bill Penny's and the Honda dealer (no expectations)
(Negotiate announcements with local hybrid-electric dealers)

Things to do:
It is hard to tell what a dealer 'thinks'. The lady I spoke with at Bill Penny's was enthused and offered to pass my contact information on to a former employee and Prius advocate.

The Honda dealer was afraid I wanted their Civic customer list . . . no expectations there. Yet one of the other Honda salesmen said, "That lady who was unhappy with her car . . ." after I mentioned ". . . learning how to drive the car to get the best performance."

BTW, I've added the 45 and 50 mph data points to the MPG vs. MPH chart. It appears that 'something bad' happens at 40 and 45 mph. The workaround is to slow to 35 in 40 mph zones and speed to 50 mph in 45 mph zones. It will be fun to figure out what causes this dip and I have some ideas.

One hypothsis is that transitioning between electric-to-gas or gas-to-electric mode has some previously undiagnosed inefficiency. However, it could also be that the engine and transmission are unusually inefficient at middle speed, partial power modes. Once I get my inverter installation finished this weekend, I should be able to measure exactly what is going on.

Bob Wilson
Old November 16th   #13
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

Many years ago when local racer and engineer the late Tommy Andrews was working with NASA on a moonbuggy prototype. He and someone whos name escapes me built a electric car using a VW trans axel assy and a starter motor from some type of jet engine. It had a lot of 6 volt batterys. It was heavy and slow maybe 35 mph and a limited range 25 or so miles but they had fun. it had a lighting bolt painted on the side. after a short while the floor pan bent way down and they junked it out..It was mostly driven to the parts house or a coffee shop called the dog house..Sorry I just thought about it as this happened about 1970 or so.... Good Luck..Sh* I miss Tommy..He was great fun to be around and could always help out with any engineering problem you had...Bobby..

Last edited by Samir; November 16th at 11:46 PM.
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote