Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > North Alabama Nissan Owners

North Alabama Nissan Owners A dedicated forum for the Nissan Owners in North Alabama

Old March 22nd   #1
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

New Z car to go hybrid or maybe diesal?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/2013-nissan-z

^per that site...

One of the most popular and recognized Japanese sports cars ever is Nissanís Z car, and from what weíve uncovered about the next-generation Z, Nissan is fully aware that this species must evolve if it intends to stay on top of the competition. Part of that evolution may include hybrid power as automakers are caught in the green wave of environmental responsibility that has become a priority.

Though nothing definite has been decided about the next Z, Nissan is experimenting with a number of different power options as you read this. Naturally, one approach on the table is a hybrid powertrain. If the next Z goes that way, it will most likely come in the form of the system currently in the Infiniti M Hybrid, which couples a 3.5-liter V-6 gasoline engine (known as the VQ35DE) with an electric motor. In the M Hybrid, the setup produces 360 bhp and about 450 lb.-ft. of torque, more than enough punch for a midpriced sports car. In the next-generation Z, fuel economy should be in the neighborhood of 30 mpg. There are rumors of a test mule of the Z with the M Hybridís powertrain running around the U.S.

Another option that Nissan is strongly considering is a diesel engine. With Nissanís recently announced cooperation with Daimler, it has the option of putting one of Mercedes-Benzís BlueTEC engines under the hood. The most likely candidate would be the 3.0-liter turbodiesel thatís currently in the Mercedes-Benz GL, or something a little bigger. Thereís also the chance that Nissan will offer the next-generation Z, which should hit dealerships in 2013, with a number of powertrain choices that include hybrid, diesel and gasoline-only versions. Thereís no word on what the car would cost just yet, but expect the price to increase slightly, especially if the Japanese yen stays at its current level, and the car continues to be built in Japan.

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

After seeing what I've seen about hybrid adoption outside of the US, which is none, hybrids are just a US marketing joke. Turbo diesels are where its at. But I wouldn't want this for the Z platform. I like the VQ and I think they should continue to refine it.
Old March 24th   #3
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Diesel would be cool with me. The old school Maximas had a diesel option to replace the L24 motor (which came in the 240z as well), so they have some experience in that department.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th   #4
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Turbo diesel 370Z?

Do a few upgrades and have 500tq!

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th   #5
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
Turbo diesel 370Z?

Do a few upgrades and have 500tq!
Get ready to see Zs towing around car trailers!
Old March 24th   #6
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Kind of a sad thought.

I'd much rather have a Turbo Diesel, especially with direct injection.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th   #7
370Zack
370Zack
has successfully offloaded his Altima.

Hybrids can die in a fire.

Slap a pair of turboes on the 370Z and call it proper evolution. I'm down.

I have no interest in turbo diesel in that car. They do, however, need to bring its performance numbers closer to Mustang GT/Camaro SS levels though. That is the area it will compete most against, and right now, the Z is in too much of a niche area.

I have one because I'm a bit of a Nissan snob, and it is a gorgeous machine, but if I were looking for a track car with bang for the buck performance, I'd be sitting in a 5.0L Mustang GT right now.
370Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th   #8
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Zack View Post
I have one because I'm a bit of a Nissan snob, and it is a gorgeous machine, but if I were looking for a track car with bang for the buck performance, I'd be sitting in a 5.0L Mustang GT right now.
Can't really blame you. I LOVED my 350Z but it unintentionally falls into the same category as the pony cars. The Z is a driver's car but it gets cross-shopped with the Mustang quite frequently.

As far as racing is concerned, the Z is poorly classed in both SCCA and NASA events (except for Spec Z which is obvious) so the racing heritage the Z once carried has fell flat with enthusiasts.

Nissan is going to have to do something big with the next Z to keep up in the racing scene, especially with the Mustang going IRS. Hybrid is not the answer, but a turbo diesel would be a very interesting development.
Old June 15th   #9
speedfreek
speedfreek
doesn't think that word means what you think it means.

The next Z will have to come boosted from the factory. End of story.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th   #10
370Zack
370Zack

While boost would be fun, I would absolutely shit kittens if they decided to throw the V8 from the M56 into a Z.
Old June 25th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
While boost would be fun, I would absolutely shit kittens if they decided to throw the V8 from the M56 into a Z.
Hey! Hey! Hey! Watch the language please. See Section 5.a.2 of the Terms of Service.

On the topic though, here's a clip of the Titan 5.6 with a Stillen supercharger in a G35:

This would be a ridiculously awesome setup that would put the platform back in the running.
Old June 26th   #12
370Zack
370Zack

sorry man - working late and getting forums crossed. I would edit my post to correct myself, but it seems you can't do that after a period of time.

Last edited by 370Zack; June 26th at 09:50 AM.
Old June 26th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
sorry man - working late and getting forums crossed. I would edit my post to correct myself, but it seems you can't do that after a period of time.
All good, I know you didn't mean it. There's a 5 minute limit on editing.

So what do you think about the sound of that monster combination I posted?
Old June 26th   #14
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

I think the V8 is a longshot for the next Z. The car has always had 6 cylinders and I'm willing to bet it stays that way and they go with a turbo option, perhaps some variant of the GT-R motor if they don't go with a diesel.
Old June 26th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I think you're right about it being a longshot, but it would make sense as it wouldn't encroach on the GTR's power capabilities. You'd have to do some really crazy mods on that v8 to get 600whp. All they have to do is make it weak on the bottom end and internally, and they'll limit it to 500hp.
Old June 26th   #16
370Zack
370Zack

That thing sounds exactly like a direct competitor to American Muscle. I think it would be fun for Nissan to engage in that. The current version in the M56 has ~420hp or something. Would be perfect.

I'm totally ok with it being a boosted V6, though... don't get me wrong!
Old June 26th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Yep, it definitely does. One of the videos in that gallery I think is that car and a newer Mustang.

The only thing I could see about the v6 is to keep production costs down, they might borrow too much from the GTR and make it easy for people to avoid getting one for a certain power level.