Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

The First Wednesday Meet/Cruise-in
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

May 1st to December 31st 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Village of Providence, 7 Town Center Dr, Huntsville, AL 35806
Contact: Call/text Samir 615-512-5520 www.huntsvillecarscene.com

This is a meet. This is a cruise-in. This is just a good time hanging out and talking with your friends and fellow enthusiasts while perusing the cars that have come out. If you remember the old Dairy Queen Meet/Cruise-in in Madison from years past, this event is a reboot of that. It is a family-friendly environment with plenty to eat so bring your kids.

This event is for every enthusiast in the area, young or old, for any enthusiast vehicle new or old, fast or slow, on road or off, 2-wheeled or 4. There is no registration fee, no door prizes or anything like that. Just a good time with fellow enthusiasts.

From Huntsville Car Scene.com: http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/sh...#ixzz3VbDS5tEK

UPDATED:

This event is in the spirit of the old Dairy Queen Cruise-In in Madison. If you loved that event, you'll love this one—same atmosphere, same vibe, same fun, and even more food choices.

Please enter from the front on the ramp over the sidewalk in front of The Brickhouse AFTER 5 PM (please allow the staff time to set up for the event). We will have some signs posted and cones placed to help aid with parking. Once the front lawn is full we will start parking on the rear lot. If that area fills up please find a parking spot around the grass.

The goal of this meet is to provide a fun family friendly environment. ALL CARS ARE WELCOME and parking will be FIRST COME FIRST SERVE however we do reserve the right to save a few spots for select cars.

Thanks again for everyones continued support and thanks a ton to everyone that helps make this event a success.

Like the old DQ event, this event is rain or shine and year round. See you there!

This event is held in conjunction with the Village of Providence, who graciously permits enthusiast vehicles to park on their grassy park at the center of Providence, surface permitting. When the ground may not be able to support the weight of vehicles, the parking spots adjacent to the park will be used. Parking notifications will be posted here on Huntsville Car Scene.com. This event is rain or shine and year round, just like DQ used to be.

The entrance for the grass field is behind the grass field. There is a small gravel road leading from the pavement. Follow the signs with arrows at the stop sign at Brickhouse. And if you're unsure, feel free to ask someone or contact me directly at 615-512-5520. I may not be able to answer calls immediately the day of the event due to volume, so feel free to call me in advance and I'll explain exactly where to go.

And just like DQ, there are discounts on food at the following restaurants:
  • Mellow Mushroom - 15%
  • Moe's Original BBQ - free banana pudding
  • Sweet Cici's - 20%
  • Tony's Little Italy - 10%
And if you want a meal for free, just stop by at Huntsville Car Scene supporter Liberty Mutual Insurance in Providence for a free quote on your auto and home insurance, and they'll send you a gift card for dinner at your restaurant of choice in Providence. Just have your proof of insurance and ID.

Come out and enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of Providence in your favorite ride. See you all there!

Here's a great detailed 3D map of the parking areas by gorkoracing:

Old May 3rd   #121
osofast
osofast
has no status.

Great show! Good job guys!
osofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd   #122
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
The meet had a DQ aspect to it, but seemed more like a car show than the DQ meets were. (probably since there was a car show already in Providence on the grass previously)

That's not a bad thing by any means. Just saying it won't FULLY feel like DQ to me unless we're sitting in a parking lot somewhere haha.

I had a great time, though, and everyone I talked to seemed to have a great time as well. Definitely will make next month's.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd   #123
iVolkswagen
iVolkswagen
Kraft Durch Freude

The turnout s pretty great! I had a awesome time. These are the kind of meet ups I love. I agree on the optimal parking and trash fixes. Also there's no doubt that this impacts the area a lot economically. Many people I saw had frozen yogurt and mellow mushroom in hand.. plus I saw a girl from a restaurant handing out samples. This is a great show is is only going to get even better. Kudos to all who helped make it happen! I'll for sure try and make it next month
iVolkswagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd   #124
jasgrider
jasgrider
has no status.

Had a great time! Huge meet for a weekday in the middle of the week. I think almost everything I saw was positive.

Some minor things need to be addressed (trash/cig butts, a little bit of minor hooning in a pedestrian area) but nothing out of hand or a showstopper. It is just user training

A great meet and I hope we get the same good feedback back from Providence and their tenants.
jasgrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd   #125
GP01GT
GP01GT
says, "Relax....."

Will there be pics soon of the show?
GP01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd   #126
Abrodowski
Abrodowski
has no status.

if you want the DQ feel, go out to staples on any saturday night around 11 and you'll find what you're looking for........
Abrodowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd   #127
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsCarbonFiber View Post
Did you take many pictures, Samir? I hope you did!
I did. . But it will be some time before I can get them up. I'm buried at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
You know he did. I assume it may take him a little longer than normal to get these up since there were so many cars.
It's going to take me some time, but mainly because of my current 2012 backlog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
The meet had a DQ aspect to it, but seemed more like a car show than the DQ meets were. (probably since there was a car show already in Providence on the grass previously)

That's not a bad thing by any means. Just saying it won't FULLY feel like DQ to me unless we're sitting in a parking lot somewhere haha.
This first one had to be a bit more formal than we wanted it to be simply because it was the first time for the parking. I'm thinking that after a few months, this aspect will work itself out and the pavement parking will also get occupied lending to a more dq feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasgrider View Post
Some minor things need to be addressed (trash/cig butts, a little bit of minor hooning in a pedestrian area) but nothing out of hand or a showstopper. It is just user training
hooning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP01GT View Post
Will there be pics soon of the show?
Pics, yes. Soon? Define soon. . It won't be for a week at least. I'm buried.
Old May 3rd   #128
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrodowski View Post
if you want the DQ feel, go out to staples on any saturday night around 11 and you'll find what you're looking for........
That's not dq because dq was family friendly. I wouldn't take a kid there, whereas I could to any cruise-in.
Old May 3rd   #129
Ba Mustang
Ba Mustang
terrible forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
That's not dq because dq was family friendly. I wouldn't take a kid there, whereas I could to any cruise-in.
I agree
Ba Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd   #130
iVolkswagen
iVolkswagen
Kraft Durch Freude

Quote:
hooning?
From wiki:
Quote:
Hoon is a derogatory term used in Australia and New Zealand, to refer to a anyone who engages in loutish, anti-social behaviours. In particular, it is used to refer to one who drives a car or boat in a manner which is anti-social by the standards of contemporary society, that is, fast, noisily and/or dangerously.

I can't wait to see all the pics of the meet...and the vid you got of me leaving, Samir.
iVolkswagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th   #131
LagoGarda
LagoGarda
is back from trip to Lago Garda.

Quote:
Signage is in place, but we may have to do our ppan for the ppwer tap since I didn't see anything in place.

And like the DQ days, a couple vette earlybirds were already there!
LagoGarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th   #132
gorkoracing
gorkoracing
soon....

Send a message via AIM to gorkoracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagoGarda View Post
Noticed that as I pulled up and it made me smile
gorkoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th   #133
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Quote:
hooning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVolkswagen View Post
From wiki:
Hence Tino's "Hoonigan" tag and sticker.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th   #134
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVolkswagen View Post
From wiki:

I can't wait to see all the pics of the meet...and the vid you got of me leaving, Samir.
Ahh, makes sense now. Hooning was always accepted in limited quantities in dq, like 10 seconds or so. I think the same will apply here. If there's ever any hooning that is disturbing or bothersome, bring it to my attention immediately so it can be addressed.
Quote:
Yep, and I loved see you guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
Hence Tino's "Hoonigan" tag and sticker.
Makes sense now.
Old May 4th   #135
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
You know how those vette people are, gotta get there for the there 4:30 dinner, not park on the grass, complain about loud music, then go home before dark.
Old May 4th   #136
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Quote:
Ahh, makes sense now. Hooning was always accepted in limited quantities in dq, like 10 seconds or so. I think the same will apply here. If there's ever any hooning that is disturbing or bothersome, bring it to my attention immediately so it can be addressed.
There were a couple of instances of people going a little too fast as they turned into the square from the four-way stop, but it was mainly younger kids from the Honda crowd and it wasn't totally obscene speed. I do think it would be prudent to keep an eye out for that as it can be difficult to see pedestrians in that area as the lot fills up.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th   #137
jasgrider
jasgrider
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTyla View Post
There were a couple of instances of people going a little too fast as they turned into the square from the four-way stop, but it was mainly younger kids from the Honda crowd and it wasn't totally obscene speed. I do think it would be prudent to keep an eye out for that as it can be difficult to see pedestrians in that area as the lot fills up.
That would be the hooning I was referring to. This is a bit of different area than any big meet I've been to and I'd like to keep it as it is an amazing venue for a meet. As such folks need to be as friendly as possible to the people who don't "get it with all the cars and such..." who are also out to have a good time while getting some food and a beer or two.

The other thing I would say would be not waiting till redline to shift leaving the stop sign heading back towards 72. Not everybody appreciates a nice sounding exhaust and nobody likes a earful of fartcan while they are trying to eat dinner on the patio.

Samir, Ray and everybody else running around helping out it was a great meet and the potential is there for an amazing show every month. For an initial large show my little gripes are MINOR. Great Job!

Last edited by jasgrider; May 4th at 11:31 AM.
jasgrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th   #138
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

At this point no one has any MAJOR complaints on here or facebook.

Your going to have a few idiots and you just can't stop them all. I just hope to keep it to a minimum.
Old May 4th   #139
RatTrap
RatTrap
-Rat is where it's at!.

Question about meet

Did anyone actually get a rough count on how
many vehicles showed up?

I know they rotated in and out but someone
should have an idea.
RatTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th   #140
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

There had to have been at least 150 in and out.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote