Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old April 13th   #1
SaabStory2.0T
SaabStory2.0T
has no status.

Tire Advice

I just bought myself some new wheels, and in looking for the right tires, I've noticed there are a butt load of options out there. So I was wondering, does anyone have a particular tire they recommend?

I've been looking at the BFG gforce tires. They seem to have great performance reviews, but some say road noise is terrible.

The price is right on a set of Sailun Atrezzo, but I have honestly never heard of that brand.

I'm a broke college kid, so price is definitely a factor.

Thanks!
SaabStory2.0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th   #2
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

I can't tell you which tire, but I know that discounttiredirect and also ebay seller buywheelstoday ( Feedback Score Of 26594) has probably the best prices. I've used both.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th   #3
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

You can try
Toyo Proxies 4
General Tire Exclaim UHP
Bridgestone Potenza RE 970
Hankook Ventus V4 ES which is what I am running on my STi right now. Do you want a good tire with good grip, low noise and a good tread wear rating. Than any of the above will do just that. The Bridgestone are going to cost more than the others though.
dmcmahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

You have to decide what you want from your tire. You can have grip, life, or a price point. Once you decide where you want it to fall into place, the choices become easier.

For me, it's about the grip first, price second. If a tire can buy me 5 extra feet in an emergency maneuver, and that saves me from hitting anything, then the extra cost of the tires just paid for themselves. Of course, I also see the value point as well. I spent $300 for a set of tires that did 85% of what a $550 set of tires would. That's a good value to me. As far as life, I look at tires like I do fuel or brakes--they're a wear item, so I don't mind replacing them. If there's a problem there, the amount I'm spending will determine that, not a treadwear number.

I've found Bridgestone to be the ultimate for most of my driving needs. Firestone has also served me well as they use a lot of Bridgestone technology. Continental Sport Conti 3s have done well on the Porsche, lasting longer than the stock Michelin Pilot Sports and with better grip over the life of the tire.

Tirerack and other sites are a good place to do research. Just be sure it is the exact same size and tire as there are different designs in different size that may make one great and another not so great.

I have to plug Wheel Fix-It as they are a Tire Rack installer. You can order from Tire Rack and the tires will come straight to them for installation.

Good luck and let us know what you choose!
Old April 13th   #5
SaabStory2.0T
SaabStory2.0T
has no status.

Thumbs up

Cool, thanks for the advice! Price is somewhat of an issue as I am in school, but I also think you should have good grip. I guess I'll check out tirerack for reviews, and see what kind of price range I'm in from there.
Old April 13th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Glad to help! There's a perfect price/performance ratio out there for you.
Old April 13th   #7
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

if you buy tires from Tire Rack - and have the installer selected as Wheel Fix It. Does the price thru tire rack include mounting and balancing the tires or do you pay that extra at Wheel Fix It
Old April 13th   #8
sohcanddohc
sohcanddohc
Another day another set of rims!

What size do you need? That would help us help you get the best deal.
2004 Chevy Venture
sohcanddohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th   #9
Wheel Fix It
Wheel Fix It
Is spinning wheels!
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
if you buy tires from Tire Rack - and have the installer selected as Wheel Fix It. Does the price thru tire rack include mounting and balancing the tires or do you pay that extra at Wheel Fix It
You pay us for the mounting and balancing and tire disposal if you wish to throw away your old tires ( That's a state thing not us ). But we replace the valve stems for no charge, if you have tpms we can put new seals and stuff in if you would like us too but there is a small cost for the rebuild kit.

Tire Rack is a great resource for shopping for tires. You can see customer reviews by mileage, noise, wear, and they test the tires so you can see there results. There customer service is great too, if you have a problem they will work with you on it.

Discount tire is also a source for tires at a decent price. We will also install your tires from them, heck we don’t care where you get your tires we will install them. But discount tire doesn’t have an recommended install program yet that I know of, but you can put or addressee in for the ship to. Just give us a heads up and track your tires, because we wont have a clue there coming. Tire Rack e-mails us with a contact when you order from them so we can call and set up an appointment when they come in.

But if anybody ever has any questions about tire or wheels don’t hesitate to call and ask us, that’s what were here for!!
Huntsville, Al 35816
256-830-9992
Monday-Friday
8am-5pm

Last edited by Samir; April 14th at 12:18 AM. Reason: grammer :)
Wheel Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th   #10
Ba Mustang
Ba Mustang
terrible forum

I prefer discount tire direct over tire rack. Free shipping vs. Like $40+ shipping.
Ba Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th   #11
Micah
Micah
is bout to bomb shops that keep his car stuff past the deadlines!

i am a tire technician. was at ntb now at top line. the bfgoodrich g force is a phenomenal tire. the g force KDW might be loud but is up there in performance with the michelin pilot sport as+
the salun altrezzo is a junk cheapo tire. its gonna cup and get loud.
one excellent tire that offers great performance, looks, availability, and isnt very hard on your wallet is the sumitomo sport a/s PO1.
nitto nt05 is a good tire, but nitto is generally known for being pricey.
continental's extreme conti procontact is a good tire ive seen alot of people choose them and be satisfied with that.
bridgestone potenzas are a nice tire as well and would suit you well.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th   #12
Wheel Fix It
Wheel Fix It
Is spinning wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba Mustang View Post
I prefer discount tire direct over tire rack. Free shipping vs. Like $40+ shipping.
I have to becarefull what I say. lol
Huntsville, Al 35816
256-830-9992
Monday-Friday
8am-5pm
Old April 13th   #13
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

I have had several sets of the BFG G Force Sports and have 0 compaints about them. Good ride, great grip, good wet traction, quiet, and decent tread life.
Old April 13th   #14
SaabStory2.0T
SaabStory2.0T
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcanddohc View Post
What size do you need? That would help us help you get the best deal.
235/40-r18 is the tire size I want.

Quote:
Discount tire is also a source for tires at a decent price. We will also install your tires from them, heck we donít care where you get your tires we will install them.
You will definitely be hearing from me in the next month or two. The wheels are backordered, so as soon as I hear something, I will give you a call.

$100 to mount and balance all four, right?

Quote:
^^ I noticed this, too. Definitely doing my research on tirerack, then buying from discount tire direct.

Quote:
the bfgoodrich g force is a phenomenal tire. the g force KDW might be loud but is up there in performance with the michelin pilot sport as+

That's what I've read so far, and I like the price on the BFGs. I had BFG All Terrains on my Jeep, and they were wonderful. So I'm slightly biased.
Old April 13th   #15
Wheel Fix It
Wheel Fix It
Is spinning wheels!

That is right but since your a HCS member you will get a discount!
Huntsville, Al 35816
256-830-9992
Monday-Friday
8am-5pm
Old April 14th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel Fix It View Post

That is right but since your a HCS member you will get a discount!

Old April 16th   #17
VR4Rob
VR4Rob
has no status.

Congrats on the wheels man. Samir pretty much covered everything I was going to say... It's really all about what you want from the tire.
VR4Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th   #18
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Kumho is a pretty good bang-for-buck brand. I ran the Ecsta Supra 712s on my 3000GT back in high school/early college years and they were known as a pretty good budget autocross tire back in the day. I then ran Kumho Ecsta ASXs after the 712s ran out of tread. When my 350Z needed tires soon after purchase I went with the ASXs as well. If you're looking for a good tire for a cheap price I would look into the ASXs or the 4Xs. If you want to be brave and get summer tires check out the LE Sports. Tire Rack carries all of these, but Discount Tire doesn't carry the LE Sports.

If you're looking for a nice, cheap tire, I recommend the ASXs and I recommend you purchase them from Discount Tire. I believe Tire Rack offers them cheaper and Discount Tire will price match.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th   #19
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

General makes a good tire for the money, that's actually what i'm running on my vette at the moment. I love some nitto's as well (NT05, 555's, and invo's), also kuhmo makes a good tire (i've had them on a few cars I had back in the day). It all just depends on how much you want to spend.
Old April 17th   #20
Reckon
Reckon
so...

I had the g-Force Sports on my S2K and they were great. The road noise and wear are about the only issues.

Currently running some Sumi HTR ZIIIs and really like them. Much less road noise and seem to wear much better. Only issue I have is that the sidewall isn't as stiff. I will probably move on to the Conti's next.

I used the survey results at TireRack to figure out what type of tire I needed and which one was at the price point I was looking at.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

The category of tire you choose will depend on what type of car you have and what type of driving style you believe you will be using.
Reckon is offline   Reply With Quote