Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 9th   #1
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,230
Nissan breaks ground on engine plant

Those darn foreign auto makers are making cars in our country!

http://www.waff.com/story/18238322/n...n-engine-plant
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th   #2
1FLYG
1FLYG
waiting for the zombie apocalypse
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
wow, thats really not that far away from Huntsville. Like 45 mins.
should bring lots of jobs to this area
1FLYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Sounds like an expansion of an existing facility. I wonder what a Merc would be like with a Nissan powerplant and vice-versa, lol.
__________________
Don't hate...appreciate
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #4
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama
is stimulating the economy through burned rubber!!!
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
Those darn foreign auto makers are making cars in our country!

http://www.waff.com/story/18238322/n...n-engine-plant
and i'd have no problem with that if they used American companies to supply these plants... but guess what

every press in that plant, will be flown in from overseas, the steel that will be used to build that plant, will be flown in from overseas, and when its up and running the core material used to mil engine blocks, etc. will be flown from overseas...

so basically you have American labor building foreign engines on our soil... and not high paying jobs either...

that is the whole argument with people that sit back and say "your Chevrolet was built in Mexico"... no it was assembled in Mexico, but its engine and all the steel used to make said engine, etc. the vast majority of it are supported by the 1.5 million jobs we still call the auto industry here in America...

as a Union contractor, I spent a couple of years building the Toyota plant in Huntsville, in fact, as an electrician I helped wire up a lot of the machines in that plant... those Japanese engineers running around are familiar with those presses for a reason, they are native to their land

it was quite sad we had a steel plant in Mobile and yet not a single beam came from there
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Cyber Grey Metallic w/ Matte Black stripes
X-pipe only 13.204 @ 105mph
Headers(no cats), Catback, CAI, SLP UD Pullies, Ported TB, tune

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; May 12th at 03:18 AM.
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #5
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 320
Probably because your union thinks that your labor is worth gold. Thats one of the main problems withy the labor force in this country. Unions.
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
it was quite sad we had a steel plant in Mobile and yet not a single beam came from there
Yes, that is sad. But I've seen it a million times. People ship their cars outside of the area for restoration when companies are right here in North Alabama. It's a matter of the logistics and financials lining up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cryer View Post
Probably because your union thinks that your labor is worth gold. Thats one of the main problems withy the labor force in this country. Unions.
I don't think a blanket statement like this is fair. I've seen unions being used to mess with pricing for sure, but I don't think all are like that.
__________________
Don't hate...appreciate
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #7
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,230
As a business, why would I pay more out of some misguided sense of patriotism when no other company would be bound by those moral rules I impose upon myself? It's called shooting yourself in the foot if you go that route. You will be a patriot with a bankrupt company.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
You will be a patriot with a bankrupt company.
It's why commerce and patriotism don't mix anymore.

Brazil walled off themselves from all imports for over a decade. Now, imported goods cost 10x domestic ones and are 10x in demand. Not a good formula unless you can produce your own, which I'm sad to say, we can't anymore.
__________________
Don't hate...appreciate
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #9
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama
is stimulating the economy through burned rubber!!!
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cryer View Post
Probably because your union thinks that your labor is worth gold. Thats one of the main problems withy the labor force in this country. Unions.
hardly... why do you think Toyota turns to Union labor for their construction? and they still do, I worked a job there last summer... craftsmanship

its not true for every local, and I want say there aren't some sorry union craftsman, but anyone who thinks they "can't be fired" and things like that, no absolutely NOTHING about Union Labor, in fact, i've probably seen MORE guys fired working union, than I ever did working non-union... do they get kicked out of the union? rarely, but they get to hit the road because they can't get a job in this jurisdiction... I don't blame the union, those guys aren't going to be able to hold a job anywhere they go, so you might as well take dues from them as long as they want to keep a ticket

why do you think they build all these car plants here in the Southeast? the low cost of operations and lack of professionals... that is right, these guys are looking to hire kids straight out of high school for $15/hr... hey, if you're 19 that isn't a bad gig... but for people trying to make ends meet on that with bills and a family.... you're forced to work 60-70 hours a week, which is EXACTLY how the Japanese operate

the 40 hour work week
vacation time
weekends off

those are all Union ideas, and if it wasn't for Organized Labor this country would STILL be working 70+ hours a week, and those things called a weekend, overtime pay, etc. would still be unheard of... Fox News loves to bash the Union, because the Union is anti-Corporation, of course, Wall Street and others don't like Unions, they want there to be two levels of Americans, the Upper Class and the Lower class...
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Cyber Grey Metallic w/ Matte Black stripes
X-pipe only 13.204 @ 105mph
Headers(no cats), Catback, CAI, SLP UD Pullies, Ported TB, tune

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; May 12th at 01:38 PM.
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
the 40 hour work week
vacation time
weekends off
This is too impractical these days because of global competition. You can't work 40hrs and get the same work output as someone working 60hrs. And if the rest of the world has geared up to 60hr days, we have to get on board or move aside, which is what has been happening.

I've worked 10hr days since I ever got into school. That's 50hrs away from home, and then at least an additional 10hrs for homework. And then I helped my parents in business on the weekends for at least another 10hrs. That's about 70hrs a week before I ever got into high school. And it's that work ethic that has allowed me to be successful. If I regulated myself to 40hrs a week, this site wouldn't even exist.
__________________
Don't hate...appreciate
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #11
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
hardly... why do you think Toyota turns to Union labor for their construction? and they still do, I worked a job there last summer... craftsmanship

its not true for every local, and I want say there aren't some sorry union craftsman, but anyone who thinks they "can't be fired" and things like that, no absolutely NOTHING about Union Labor, in fact, i've probably seen MORE guys fired working union, than I ever did working non-union... do they get kicked out of the union? rarely, but they get to hit the road because they can't get a job in this jurisdiction... I don't blame the union, those guys aren't going to be able to hold a job anywhere they go, so you might as well take dues from them as long as they want to keep a ticket

why do you think they build all these car plants here in the Southeast? the low cost of operations and lack of professionals... that is right, these guys are looking to hire kids straight out of high school for $15/hr... hey, if you're 19 that isn't a bad gig... but for people trying to make ends meet on that with bills and a family.... you're forced to work 60-70 hours a week, which is EXACTLY how the Japanese operate

the 40 hour work week
vacation time
weekends off

those are all Union ideas, and if it wasn't for Organized Labor this country would STILL be working 70+ hours a week, and those things called a weekend, overtime pay, etc. would still be unheard of... Fox News loves to bash the Union, because the Union is anti-Corporation, of course, Wall Street and others don't like Unions, they want there to be two levels of Americans, the Upper Class and the Lower class...
I agree to fully disagree with practically everything you said.
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #12
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 186
This has the potential to become a very nasty thread.
__________________
Its easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #13
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,230
Guaranteed low work hours and high benefits turned out great for France and Greece.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #14
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama
is stimulating the economy through burned rubber!!!
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
Guaranteed low work hours and high benefits turned out great for France and Greece.
Germany is doing just fine and it much more Union than America

you know why? you don't go to Germany and see people driving foreign cars, nope, they drive German cars... when a plant goes up you don't see them importing steel from China, nope its German steel... they are one of the last standing nations that still export than they import and when the Global depression hit, guess which country was effected the least... not the good 'ole US of A...

nope, we abandoned the idea of exporting>importing long ago... have outsourced way too many jobs in the last 5 years, continue to buy cheaply made foreign crap and wonder why our economy is in the **** gutter

and look to blame a politician every chance we get instead of manning up and saying "We The People created this mess"
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Cyber Grey Metallic w/ Matte Black stripes
X-pipe only 13.204 @ 105mph
Headers(no cats), Catback, CAI, SLP UD Pullies, Ported TB, tune

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; May 12th at 04:17 PM.
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #15
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama
is stimulating the economy through burned rubber!!!
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 317
and i'm sorry but anyone who thinks a 40 hour work week, a worker have 2 weeks of paid vacation, and being given Overtime for anything over 40 is "impractical"... well, this is why Unions are needed

that whole 40 hour thing, well, I work overtime... I just got through working 6/12s for the last 2 months... but had both a time and a half and a double time day, as well as getting paid time and a half for the last 4 hours on my 4 straight time days...

you don't think companies can afford that? oh they can, I mean not if the board of directors, etc. want to take 5 Hawaiian vacations in a year they can't... but they could if they wanted to

its not a matter of not being able to afford it, its a matter of knowing what you can get by with and that the workers will either accept it, or work elsewhere
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Cyber Grey Metallic w/ Matte Black stripes
X-pipe only 13.204 @ 105mph
Headers(no cats), Catback, CAI, SLP UD Pullies, Ported TB, tune

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; May 12th at 04:23 PM.
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #16
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 320
You know why it is impossible to not export goods from other countries? Because it is nearly impossible to run a business efficiently because the government thinks they are entitled to a large amount of your profit. It's sad that it is cheaper to import stuff from other countries, but if my job was to build a plant as efficient as possible and my bonus depended on it, then sign me up

Last edited by A_Cryer; May 12th at 04:40 PM.
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #17
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama
is stimulating the economy through burned rubber!!!
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 317
care to blame the Government for anything else? it rained on a Saturday, I bet Obama caused it

Corporations are greedy, at the end of the day, you aren't an employee, you are a statistic... however they can manipulate you to make a dollar, they are going to... if it means buying a product assembled by a 9 year old kid in China, who cares... they saved some money

people want to moan and complain about Unions, but we don't talk the talk when it comes to buying American, every chance I can... I do, from the boots I lace up, the tool bag I carry, to the headers I bolt on my car... if I can buy it American, I do

I earn it here and I try to spend it here

unfortunately, because of the irresponsibility of others, that is becoming harder and harder... you know how to stop the importing of goods? don't complain about the Government, just simply don't buy that crap
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Cyber Grey Metallic w/ Matte Black stripes
X-pipe only 13.204 @ 105mph
Headers(no cats), Catback, CAI, SLP UD Pullies, Ported TB, tune

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; May 12th at 04:54 PM.
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
This has the potential to become a very nasty thread.
This does, but as long as the discussion remains on topic and civil, no one will be reprimanded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
Germany is doing just fine and it much more Union than America

you know why? you don't go to Germany and see people driving foreign cars, nope, they drive German cars... when a plant goes up you don't see them importing steel from China, nope its German steel... they are one of the last standing nations that still export than they import and when the Global depression hit, guess which country was effected the least... not the good 'ole US of A...

nope, we abandoned the idea of exporting>importing long ago... have outsourced way too many jobs in the last 5 years, continue to buy cheaply made foreign crap and wonder why our economy is in the **** gutter

and look to blame a politician every chance we get instead of manning up and saying "We The People created this mess"
But if you look at Germany's domestic goods, they are of high quality. They still have high standards and create good products. When China manufactures to a higher level of precision than we do and more cheaply, we are at a loss.

I completely agree with us creating this mess--wanting to live outside of our means is probably the biggest culprit--because everyone really needs an iphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
and i'm sorry but anyone who thinks a 40 hour work week, a worker have 2 weeks of paid vacation, and being given Overtime for anything over 40 is "impractical"... well, this is why Unions are needed

that whole 40 hour thing, well, I work overtime... I just got through working 6/12s for the last 2 months... but had both a time and a half and a double time day, as well as getting paid time and a half for the last 4 hours on my 4 straight time days...

you don't think companies can afford that? oh they can, I mean not if the board of directors, etc. want to take 5 Hawaiian vacations in a year they can't... but they could if they wanted to

its not a matter of not being able to afford it, its a matter of knowing what you can get by with and that the workers will either accept it, or work elsewhere
I'm not saying that such a work week is impractical in its own right, but it is definitely not competitive with the world labor markets.

Everyone out there is working harder than us, and that's almost a fact. It's why American immigrants quickly exceed the success of US-born Americans--because of they'll work more than 40hrs. I've seen it in my own life with my parents. They still work 14hr days in their 60s after a lifetime of working this hard. And the Americans that watch immigrants come from nothing and quickly ascertain wealth just get mad when it's the Americans' own decisions that keep them where they are.

People that are high up on the ladder pay the price for their salaries early on. My brother makes well into the 6-figure range. But he stayed up 48hrs every single week in college for 4 years and worked his butt off through high school, keeping a sleep deficit chart and catching up on weekends. And he still regularly works crazy hours, sometimes leaving the office at 10pm, like a few days ago. And that's without any type of overtime. I'm not saying there are not people out there that are getting well paid for nothing, but that it's not everyone like you suggest.

You're right--it is a matter of affording it. So should execs not take vacations so that workers can have iphones and other high-cost luxury goods? Or should execs be compensated well and the workers be a commodity? Who decides who deserves to afford what?

In my opinion, no one needs any of these things. Throw the money back and save up so someday you don't have to work anymore.
__________________
Don't hate...appreciate
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cryer View Post
You know why it is impossible to not export goods from other countries? Because it is nearly impossible to run a business efficiently because the government thinks they are entitled to a large amount of your profit. It's sad that it is cheaper to import stuff from other countries, but if my job was to build a plant as efficient as possible and my bonus depended on it, then sign me up
I don't think the government alone hurts this process as taxes and such can be higher in other first-world nations. But the nature of the global economy allows us to leverage the cheap labor of developing nations to do our bidding. And the funny thing is, that's actually helping get those nations out of poverty and giving them things like running hot and cold water that we take for granted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
care to blame the Government for anything else? it rained on a Saturday, I bet Obama caused it
Keep it civil. No need for these sort of comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
Corporations are greedy, at the end of the day, you aren't an employee, you are a statistic... however they can manipulate you to make a dollar, they are going to... if it means buying a product assembled by a 9 year old kid in China, who cares... they saved some money

people want to moan and complain about Unions, but we don't talk the talk when it comes to buying American, every chance I can... I do, from the boots I lace up, the tool bag I carry, to the headers I bolt on my car... if I can buy it American, I do

I earn it here and I try to spend it here

unfortunately, because of the irresponsibility of others, that is becoming harder and harder... you know how to stop the importing of goods? don't complain about the Government, just simply don't buy that crap
It's actually not the corporations that are greedy--it's the consumers. They want it all and for pennies on the dollar. When I was distributing auto parts, I could have bought US-made radiators, but they would have cost 2-3x as much and no one would buy them because they can get cheaper Chinese product. The corporations have just adapted to the consumer's demands. It's why the roofing companies started using illegal labor. At the end of the day, it cut the cost to the consumer, illegal or not. If the iphone was made here, it would cost $1000 and people would be whining that its 'too expensive'. And of course this is because they 'need one'.
__________________
Don't hate...appreciate
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #20
Eagle Freek
Eagle Freek
has no status.
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 25
I don't think there is a single person on the planet who wants there tombstone to read, "I should have spent more time at work, instead of with my family".

Why I'll never own a Nissan. http://www.digest.com/Big_Story.php
Eagle Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Karma: Our Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid breaks down dragginbody87 General Discussions 6 March 24th 03:21 AM
Where do you get your engine detailed at? cheesepuff General Discussions 6 April 23rd 12:38 PM
Southeast Drift's "Pants on the Ground" Atlanta, GA 2.27.10 down_shift Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage 4 March 11th 12:53 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2001 - 2012, Huntsville Car Scene
Terms of Service