Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old May 30th   #1
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Auto Jobs: Sign of the Times

At the Hyundai plant in Montgomery, Alabama more than 20,000 people have applied for one of the 877 job openings.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47614988
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th   #2
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

I agree that there is a massive need for jobs in this country and we haven't had a qualified person in office since....well....probably Kennedy or earlier lol, but some people need to put their chins down and work for whatever they can. I know people who have told me "I don't want to work there...I can do better."

I wonder how many of the people applying are currently employed, running out of unemployment shortly, or honestly have been looking for a while and applying to do whatever they can possibly do.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th   #3
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Glad to hear so many people are looking.
Old May 30th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

"There's no doubt the recession and the fact so many Americans are still out of work was the primary factor driving the waves of people applying for jobs at auto plants.

Another huge factor is the type of jobs being offered. Good pay and benefits with solid companies in an industry set for steady growth over the next 3-5 years. Those jobs are hard to find in blue-collar America."

I think the latter part of this article says it all. I'm sure if we started paying $20/hr + benefits for Front Desk and Housekeeping positions in the hotel industry that we wouldn't have the high turnover we do either.

The jobs system has become a mess. You need a piece of paper that says you're smart so you can get a job because other people have that piece of paper. But oh yeah, that paper costs you $XXXXX, so you can't take less than $XXXXX as a salary to cover your loans, and companies don't want to pay $XXXXX or it's not worthwhile to be in business in the first place.

I wish we could go back to where the person that could do the best job would get the job.
Old May 31st   #5
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
"There's no doubt the recession and the fact so many Americans are still out of work was the primary factor driving the waves of people applying for jobs at auto plants.

Another huge factor is the type of jobs being offered. Good pay and benefits with solid companies in an industry set for steady growth over the next 3-5 years. Those jobs are hard to find in blue-collar America."

I think the latter part of this article says it all. I'm sure if we started paying $20/hr + benefits for Front Desk and Housekeeping positions in the hotel industry that we wouldn't have the high turnover we do either.

The jobs system has become a mess. You need a piece of paper that says you're smart so you can get a job because other people have that piece of paper. But oh yeah, that paper costs you $XXXXX, so you can't take less than $XXXXX as a salary to cover your loans, and companies don't want to pay $XXXXX or it's not worthwhile to be in business in the first place.

I wish we could go back to where the person that could do the best job would get the job.
There are ways to get started while in school, though you have to pursue them on your own, and hopefully they turn into a career. It's not always about graduating that lands a good job...but it helps. Something like only 25% of the US population has a bachelors degree, less for masters and doctorates as you can imagine. I would bet (haven't looked) that far more than 25% have a benefits and salary paying job.

A lot of people also do not WANT technology, service, or whatever desk job and would rather work in some form of labor industry. Hard to imagine lol.

These news articles will tell you they know the main reason they want people to apply...and could have very well asked each one of them...but who is really going to say "my momma forced me to get a job so I thought I would apply" or "my unemployment is running out." Hard working, blue collar Americans that want to succeed in life and have been searching for however long sounds so much better and more "shocking" to the readers.

I don't doubt that a lot of them are serious applicants...but I don't disregard the underlying truths either. Until the structure of how people are "ranked" in this country changes...college is a fairly smart decision if you want a decent chance of a good job. Even then...in the not so distant future...you better be ready to earn a masters.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
There are ways to get started while in school, though you have to pursue them on your own, and hopefully they turn into a career. It's not always about graduating that lands a good job...but it helps. Something like only 25% of the US population has a bachelors degree, less for masters and doctorates as you can imagine. I would bet (haven't looked) that far more than 25% have a benefits and salary paying job.
That's a pretty shocking figure considering all the kids in college. Although, I've seen what happens in college so that makes sense.
Quote:
A lot of people also do not WANT technology, service, or whatever desk job and would rather work in some form of labor industry. Hard to imagine lol.
I've seen this to be true until the body starts to wear out. Then it seems everyone wants a desk job. But the funny thing is, a desk job will kill you too, so is one really better than the other?
Quote:
These news articles will tell you they know the main reason they want people to apply...and could have very well asked each one of them...but who is really going to say "my momma forced me to get a job so I thought I would apply" or "my unemployment is running out." Hard working, blue collar Americans that want to succeed in life and have been searching for however long sounds so much better and more "shocking" to the readers.
Quite true.
Quote:
I don't doubt that a lot of them are serious applicants...but I don't disregard the underlying truths either. Until the structure of how people are "ranked" in this country changes...college is a fairly smart decision if you want a decent chance of a good job. Even then...in the not so distant future...you better be ready to earn a masters.
Yeah, and a masters or more is pretty much required these days. A 4yr degree is just entry level.

What's interesting is that most small business owners don't have as much formal education.