Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old June 8th   #1
2JZ_is300
2JZ_is300
Needs to go faster!!

Bankhead Hill climb??

I was up on the mountain riding around this week and thought to myself why the heck hasnt the community done a hill climb on bankhead yet?? I realize all the red tape stuff youd have to go through but I think it'd be a great event. Has this already been done or attempted?? what does everyone else think?
Old June 8th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The SCCA has certain criteria that has to be met to sanction a hillclimb event. I don't know all the particulars, but Yellowhammer does as he did all the necessary research before founding the Annual Crow Mountain Hillclimb.
Old June 9th   #3
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama
is stimulating the economy through burned rubber!!!

they have Hill Climbs at Hawk Pride Offroad on the outskirts of Tuscumbia, in fact, though it may have surpassed now on ONE of their hills they had a $500 bounty, anyone who climbed it got the cash, and it stood for over a year(and may still be standing) and several vehicles were rolled trying to claim it, lol
Headers(no cats), Catback, CAI, SLP UD Pullies, Ported TB, tune

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; June 9th at 12:27 AM.
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Very interesting. Who sanctions/organizes the event?

Last edited by Samir; June 9th at 06:53 AM. Reason: grammar
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th   #5
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama

they hold the hill climbs on special days, the last one was April 28th and was hosted by the Southern Rock Racing Series

the park itself is open the 1st and 3rd weekend of the month, its over 1000 acres and they have over 75 rock crawling trails, several mud bogs, etc.... its getting pretty good reviews throughout the entire Southeast

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; June 9th at 10:55 AM.
Old June 9th   #6
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama

and don't hold me to it but I think its $25 to ride the park, $10 for spectators pass only...

basically what happened is someone got a lot of land and instead of making a hunting club like most people do with rural land like that, this guy went a different, very successful route

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; June 9th at 11:22 AM.
Old June 9th   #7
TimACRcoupe
TimACRcoupe
FWD FTW

There are a few types of hill climbs:

Tarmac / Paved like Crow Mt, Eagles Nest, Chasing the Dragon Hillclimb which are all usually associated with the SCCA and maybe NASA - they are all closed road, full pavement, timed events - basically a time trial up a mountain road.

Then you have basically the same thing on gravel / dirt or mixed - generally associated with Rally - Rally America and Nasa Rally

And then you have the true offroad climbs where it is purpose built 4wds going up over rocks and through trees (sometimes). These have there own set of sanctioning bodies.

I know the first two take some major planning, and cooperation with local communities and county commissions - it is a pain to put on one since they use local roads. I'm sure the third has its own set of obstacles like land ownership, insurance etc...

Last edited by TimACRcoupe; June 9th at 01:45 PM.
TimACRcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th   #8
2JZ_is300
2JZ_is300
Needs to go faster!!

I'm talking about Tarmac here not off road. Like a time trial could that be organized?? I've road with hsv flat4 group down or up crow mountain can't remember but the road isn't the best quality but it was still a nice run.
Old June 9th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ_is300 View Post
I'm talking about Tarmac here not off road. Like a time trial could that be organized?? I've road with hsv flat4 group down or up crow mountain can't remember but the road isn't the best quality but it was still a nice run.
Yep, that's the problem though. The requirements for a sanctioned hillclimb would rule that road out for various reasons. I think Crow Mountain has been re-paved or is due for one, so that might get nicer soon.
Old June 11th   #10
TimACRcoupe
TimACRcoupe
FWD FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Yep, that's the problem though. The requirements for a sanctioned hillclimb would rule that road out for various reasons. I think Crow Mountain has been re-paved or is due for one, so that might get nicer soon.
Crow is out this year if you haven't heard. The Jackson County commission decided not to invite us back for 2012. Politics...

You would think with all the winding roads all over North East Alabama and further north and east it would be easy to setup a hill climb - in fact it is really tough to make it all come together. Even if it does come together you run the event at the mercy of the local governments who can cancel it at any time.
TimACRcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Bummer. . Rich would have been pissed too. A bit of a slap in the face to all those who worked hard to make the event reality.

But to be honest, with the lack of marketing causing spectator crowds to dwindle, this was inevitable. I mean, this thread is a perfect example. Someone on hcs didn't know about an event?!?--that's the event organizer's fault.