Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old June 22nd   #1
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Is This Legal? Police Lights Civic...

Saw this when I went to Madison Square a few days ago and it kinda struck a nerve. Some kid got out of the car looked to be about 18-19. The car has police lights on the top of it by the look of it and inside he had a bunch of what also looked to be tom toms and maybe radar detectors on the window. Is this legal?

Last edited by Samir; June 23rd at 08:52 PM. Reason: fixed picture link :) Again... :(
Smyly@TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

You have to really zoom into the picture to see it, but I know a light bar is legal (as is any lighting) so long as it isn't red or blue visible from the front or rear of the vehicle for 100ft in ambient daylight. I would cite the section on this, but I don't know where that ticket is.

I used to have my pda, radar detector, cell phone, g-tech pro and techtom mdm-100 all hanging from my windsheild in the Altima. When I would get pulled over, the officer would usually have a look on their face like 'you have more gadgets than me!' .

I'm sure there could be something about impeding visibility or something like that for the interior stuff, but the exterior light bar is legal.
Old June 22nd   #3
AJ Ferrari
AJ Ferrari
has no status.

Is the Civic silver? If so, I met the guy who drives it last Sunday night. He works for Huntsville Fire and Rescue and he also carries a radio around all the time. We played volleyball together with some friends at Brahan Springs Park and he even had it there! He is a cool guy.
AJ Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd   #4
GsxJawsh
GsxJawsh
Is ready for this summer!

if its a silver civic with a body kit i know the guy, he went to the air force academy and is a fire fighter for both the air force and the Huntsville fire department
Old June 22nd   #5
AJ Ferrari
AJ Ferrari
has no status.

That's the guy!
AJ Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd   #6
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer

wow i thought I had hosted the picture on here let me try again lol

UGGGGGGHHHHH I am horrible at this if someone can re size the pic it may look better but my skills on posting pics from a cell phone are not doing so well today.

Last edited by Smyly@TFR; June 22nd at 09:31 PM.
Smyly@TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd   #7
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer

I never met him so I will just go with you guys on the being a good guy comments Is the vehicle usable as far as fire/response vehicle standards are concerned? Or is it all just for show?
Old June 23rd   #8
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

I know in Morgan County, if you are not an active or official officer, sheriff, trooper or police, you will get cited for lights. We had a man in our courtroom that was a fireman, I believe, from out of state that had lights on or in his ride that the state trooper saw and cited. While he was off duty and in our state, must take down, remove, not to be seen. So watch those state troopers!
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd   #9
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

I don't think he can run the lights on the car while it's moving. He can however respond to a call and cut the lights on when he gets there. If he works for Huntsville Fire he shouldn't be responding to calls on his own. A volunteer fireman will though
Old June 23rd   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxJawsh View Post
if its a silver civic with a body kit i know the guy, he went to the air force academy and is a fire fighter for both the air force and the Huntsville fire department
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Ferrari View Post
That's the guy!
You guys are amazing. CIA has nothing on us when it comes to spotting cars and chasing down owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyly@TFR View Post
wow i thought I had hosted the picture on here let me try again lol

UGGGGGGHHHHH I am horrible at this if someone can re size the pic it may look better but my skills on posting pics from a cell phone are not doing so well today.
Email the photo to huntsvillecarscene@email.smugmug.com with 'Upload' (case sensitive) in the subject. I'll post it here for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyly@TFR View Post
I never met him so I will just go with you guys on the being a good guy comments Is the vehicle usable as far as fire/response vehicle standards are concerned? Or is it all just for show?
My guess is that it's usable, especially if he carries a radio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
I know in Morgan County, if you are not an active or official officer, sheriff, trooper or police, you will get cited for lights. We had a man in our courtroom that was a fireman, I believe, from out of state that had lights on or in his ride that the state trooper saw and cited. While he was off duty and in our state, must take down, remove, not to be seen. So watch those state troopers!
Good to know! Do you know the exact Title and Section of the Alabama code? I'd be interested to read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
I don't think he can run the lights on the car while it's moving. He can however respond to a call and cut the lights on when he gets there. If he works for Huntsville Fire he shouldn't be responding to calls on his own. A volunteer fireman will though
Interesting. Things have changed in a the last decade or so then. From my understanding, amber lights are fine on almost any vehicle. That's why the tow trucks can run them.
Old June 24th   #11
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Yeah ambers are fine. And reds as long as they only face the rear. Blues and front facing reds are a no no
Old June 24th   #12
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Alabama Code Section 32-5-241(d)(2) is one location, still looking for others. I know that there is more language.

(d) Special restriction on lamps.

(2) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying a red light visible from directly in front of the center thereof. This section shall not apply to authorized emergency vehicles.

The key word is "visible". The light does not need to be on; just visible.
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you so much for the details! It's interesting how just one word changes everything, lol.
Old June 25th   #14
GsxJawsh
GsxJawsh
Is ready for this summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
Alabama Code Section 32-5-241(d)(2) is one location, still looking for others. I know that there is more language.

(d) Special restriction on lamps.

(2) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying a red light visible from directly in front of the center thereof. This section shall not apply to authorized emergency vehicles.

The key word is "visible". The light does not need to be on; just visible.
but if its LED how will they know what color the light are if they are off?
Old June 25th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxJawsh View Post
but if its LED how will they know what color the light are if they are off?
I think if it's clear LED, you might be okay if you never turn them on. I guess the principle is don't have anything red showing facing the front.