Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old June 24th   #1
2JZ_is300
2JZ_is300
Needs to go faster!!

Good place to get front end painted?

Well im finally saving some money to get my bumper/hood/driver side fender repainted and was wanting some suggestions on a reasonable priced shop around here to get those done. I saw on trufacts racing detail post that a family member had a shop? if anyone could help out thatd be great
The paint is "Black Onyx" its an 03 lexus is300 THANKS!!
Old June 24th   #2
Jack Tar
Jack Tar
is being a sailor
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ_is300 View Post
Well im finally saving some money to get my bumper/hood/driver side fender repainted and was wanting some suggestions on a reasonable priced shop around here to get those done. I saw on trufacts racing detail post that a family member had a shop? if anyone could help out thatd be great
The paint is "Black Onyx" its an 03 lexus is300 THANKS!!
At Jireh Customs paint is what we do. If everything is done and all we have to do it paint it, your looking at about $800-900 for the bumper, hood and a fender.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th   #3
Ba Mustang
Ba Mustang
terrible forum

I would talk to Travis Yager
Ba Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th   #4
2JZ_is300
2JZ_is300
Needs to go faster!!

That seems a little high ill definetly be getting other quotes. but ill keep jireh customs in mind where are you located? and id need the paint taken off sanded down on hood fender and bondo a half dollar size dent maybe 1/16 inch deep on the front bumper and painted for $800-$900??? thanks for the help
Old June 24th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba Mustang View Post
Keep in mind you really do get what you pay for when it comes to paint. And it's one of those things that if not done correctly, you've spent 80% as much to get a job 50% as good.

Last edited by Samir; June 24th at 09:33 PM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th   #6
Ba Mustang
Ba Mustang
terrible forum

He painted my 67 and I had no problems with paint quality. I bought the paint and clear I wanted to use and let him spray it.

Last edited by Ba Mustang; June 24th at 09:47 PM.
Ba Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
He painted my 67 and I had no problems with paint quality. I bought the paint and clear I wanted to use and let him spray it.
I've seen hit or miss work done by almost everyone that is on the lower side of estimates. There's a lot of great body shops/painters in town, but they're usually not the cheapest. Everyone's mileage may vary on this, but personally I won't risk getting a 50% job for 80% the cost.
Old June 25th   #8
Munchie
Munchie
is purging all the poo out of his life!

Send a message via AIM to Munchie
Quote:
I second this recommendation. Not to cut any business out of a local shop, but Yager does great work as well as having very fair pricing due to not having a full on business/overhead/etc!
04 Chevy Trailblazer EXT-family ride
06 Joyner 650 Sand Spider-The Buggy
68 VW Rail Buggy-CNC rail conversion 44" Rear Paddles
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th   #9
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer

I second Samir you pay for what you get on paint and body work for sure.
Old June 25th   #10
Jack Tar
Jack Tar
is being a sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ_is300 View Post
That seems a little high ill definetly be getting other quotes. but ill keep jireh customs in mind where are you located? and id need the paint taken off sanded down on hood fender and bondo a half dollar size dent maybe 1/16 inch deep on the front bumper and painted for $800-$900??? thanks for the help
I can give you a firmer estimate if/when I see the job and it is a little high for a reason. I recently had a guy with a 71 Chevelle with a fresh LS1 transplant ask for a quote. I told him a same color (custom color) repaint with some minor body work would be $2300. Same color being no trunk door or hood jams being repainted. Instead he goes with a local "economy" shop and gets the $550 special with a color change to white. WOW!! His new LS1 is also white with over spray as well as all hoses, weather stripping and anything else that should have been taped or masked off. While his car will everyone who sees it is

I am not the cheapest guy around. There is a reason for that. People driving a $30,000 car with a $300 paint repair job, well I just can't figure that out.
Old June 25th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jireh Customs View Post
People driving a $30,000 car with a $300 paint repair job, well I just can't figure that out.
Me neither. It's an investment like any other--exhaust, cams, etc. But it's the only one that will cost you more to do over than any other thing.
Old June 25th   #12
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

2300 for a same color job is dirt cheap still haha. My buddy had his Neon painted probably 6 or more years ago same color with a light pearl dusting and got hit for 4g's. His car did and still does look like a show car.

Last edited by GrantH; June 25th at 10:45 AM.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th   #13
Jack Tar
Jack Tar
is being a sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
2300 for a same color job is dirt cheap still haha. My buddy had his Neon painted probably 6 or more years ago same color with a light pearl dusting and got hit for 4g's. His car did and still does look like a show car.
That was just a sand and repaint with a funky pinkish red metallic. Honestly I'm glad he changed it, but like I said that 2300 was no jams only outer surface. If you want jams and the works, well it is going to be considerably higher. When doing jams and such we remove everything in the jams that we can and take great care to properly mask off the things that we cant. Also, most jam jobs we will remove the doors to do it right.
Old June 25th   #14
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

Quote:
That was just a sand and repaint with a funky pinkish red metallic. Honestly I'm glad he changed it, but like I said that 2300 was no jams only outer surface. If you want jams and the works, well it is going to be considerably higher. When doing jams and such we remove everything in the jams that we can and take great care to properly mask off the things that we cant. Also, most jam jobs we will remove the doors to do it right.
This was outside only, no jambs. It's really just the price you have to pay for a great job in Orlando. Sad, but his car is the identical color of the newer Tahoes; the green/blue pearl job. Makes you wonder.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th   #15
Quincy
Quincy
needs to get back in the gym

Quote:
I realize that I am going to be in need of a total respray. I won't need the engine bay and door jams painted. I own a 2005 nissan altima se-r that is black with no flake and no pearl. I just had Israel from tru-facts detail it and the oxidation from the cheap nissan original paint job has crept onto the hood and roof and were unable to be corrected. Am I looking at around he same price or is it something that you would need to see? I really just need a ball park.

Last edited by Quincy; June 25th at 08:03 PM.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th   #16
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer

Your car came out very good Quincy just those places on the hood where the oxidation had degraded the clear coat completely on a few parts. With a more in depth correction process the roof would even out pretty nicely with only a few parts left over.
Old June 25th   #17
Quincy
Quincy
needs to get back in the gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyly@TFR View Post
Your car came out very good Quincy just those places on the hood where the oxidation had degraded the clear coat completely on a few parts. With a more in depth correction process the roof would even out pretty nicely with only a few parts left over.
yeah, but I just kind of want to start with a clean slate, have you do your thing to it, and know that anything that happens to it was done by me and not the previous owner, ya know?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th   #18
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer

Yea I understand completely whenever you get the new paint job done hit me up and I can get you set up with a good sealant to help protect it from the elements and make it harder for the elements to get to it this next time around to keep it looking new.
Old June 26th   #19
Munchie
Munchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyly@TFR View Post
I second Samir you pay for what you get on paint and body work for sure.
Though, along the same principle. Expensive is not always quality! IMO decisions should be based on results rather than price. I have seen Jirehs work they post on here and it seems to be great work. At the same time I have seen Yagers work on HSV and in person and its great work as well. Ultimatly its a decision making process. You have to weigh all the options.
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Old June 26th   #20
Munchie
Munchie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
I have friends who have cars in which their dad painted their cars in his garage when we were in High School. Those still to this day look top notch and could compare to most brand new paint jobs. Just Sayin...lol
85 19ft Bayliner Capri