Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old June 27th   #1
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

To the kid who...

I passed on the Wall Triana on-ramp this morning...not only do you think you ruined my day, which you didn't, you've also been reported for inciting road rage and attempting to cause accidents at highway speeds. Thanks.

I passed this kid on the Wall Triana ramp to the 565 this morning because he was creeping (ie:~35 mph). He then took it upon himself speed obnoxiously, cut me off, and then to pace any and every car he passed (with me directly following him). After doing this all the way to the 65 exit I was finally able to get out from behind him and safely call the law.

Hopefully they will actually do something.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th   #2
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Cops are just fact takers for the most part.

I'm in no way disrespecting what they do, however unless they see it happen they really can't do anything.
Old June 27th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath. Cops are just fact takers for the most part.

I'm in no way disrespecting what they do, however unless they see it happen they really can't do anything.
Unfortunately this is my experience as well.

I've been in your shoes before Grant, and I just got off the road and took another route to where I had to go, or stopped to fill up some gas. By the time I'm back on the road, they're gone.
Old June 27th   #4
GrantH
GrantH

Well I was headed to work, had to be in Birmingham today too, so I had somewhere to be. I usually cruise on 80 when I'm on the 565 and 65 but this tool had me going 60 half the way to 65. It wasn't so much making me mad as killing any and all hope for civilization.

I don't trust/like cops probably more than most...for reasons like these. They pull you over for minor infractions but wouldn't dare do any detective work to trace down someone that could potentially cause a huge wreck on our highways.
Old June 27th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
Well I was headed to work, had to be in Birmingham today too, so I had somewhere to be. I usually cruise on 80 when I'm on the 565 and 65 but this tool had me going 60 half the way to 65. It wasn't so much making me mad as killing any and all hope for civilization.

I don't trust/like cops probably more than most...for reasons like these. They pull you over for minor infractions but wouldn't dare do any detective work to trace down someone that could potentially cause a huge wreck on our highways.
I've been there too! Aside from just slingshoting around them at an opportune time, there's not much that can be done. I've found that a 5 minute stop for gas is long enough for them to forget about you and let their guard down--then you can fly by them before they have a chance to react when you get back on.

Law enforcement unfortunately doesn't actually help prevent accidents--just enforce laws. And even that is done randomly since automated methods like photo radar aren't used.
Old June 27th   #6
GrantH
GrantH

It's not the inconsistency that kills me with them...it's the profiling who they pull over for no reason other than to harass them. I (even being white, fairly well off) have witnessed it far too many times. They pick and choose who they harass and get away with breaking laws themselves simply because of a badge.

/rant

See you in a bit.
Old June 27th   #7
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama
is stimulating the economy through burned rubber!!!

be in your 20s, drive a V8 with headers, and you'll learn all about profiling... I can leave out of any where, not speed, use blinkers, be as safe as possible, but if a cop sees me, they are on my bumper like glue...

I've had this car a year and have already been pulled over more times in it than I have with every other car I've owned previously combined, and *knock on wood* the kicker is, they have YET to write me a ticket... its just typical harassment... I'm too the point to where i'm seriously about to file a complaint or something

I'll give a perfect example... the other night, my friend had his transmission is his new edge GT go out, he had just bought a replacement transmission(was even still under the warranty he got with it) and he was stranded at a gas station... his car was stuck in reverse... well, I go over to help him out, try to either get his car out of gear to see if it'd free up or to at the least, give him a ride home... so as we're working on his car, this cop comes up and tells us we are "loitering" and have to leave... here is the kicker with that, we had ALREADY TALKED to the gas station owner that we were going to be out there working on his car... two people had rode with me so there was 4 of us in total... the cop has the nerve to say "it doesn't take 4 people to fix a car"... I tell him "you are right, but when 3 people are in a car, and a fourth person calls them saying 'my car is broke at this gas station' those 3 friends are going to go over and help their other friend"... on top of that, I had pulled in next to my friends car and my car was BARELY in a handicap spot, i was actually parked in the spot next to it, but because my friend has his passenger door open, was a little over the line in the handicap spot... now with that being said, this is like midnight so I HIGHLY doubt any senior citizens were going to be pulling into this gas station on a Saturday night, lol... and every other parking spot was empty, including all the ones right in front of the entrance of the store... he gives me a written warning for parking in a handicap spot... I would say my car is "marked" but the problem is: I don't really have bad driving habits, lol.. I mean yeah, I go about 5 over the speed limit most often, have been known to change a lane without a blinker, don't count to 3 Mississippi in distance I maintain between cars, and sometimes roll through stop signs... but apparently the local cops think I'm Paul freakin' Walker

I won't say there aren't times I don't partake in activities I probably shouldn't, just not in my hometown

but as an every day driver, I rarely speed, etc.
Headers(no cats), Catback, CAI, SLP UD Pullies, Ported TB, tune

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; June 27th at 07:41 PM.
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th   #8
GrantH
GrantH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
be in your 20s, drive a V8 with headers, and you'll learn all about profiling... I can leave out of any where, not speed, use blinkers, be as safe as possible, but if a cop sees me, they are on my bumper like glue...

I've had this car a year and have already been pulled over more times in it than I have with every other car I've owned previously combined, and *knock on wood* the kicker is, they have YET to write me a ticket... its just typical harassment... I'm too the point to where i'm seriously about to file a complaint or something

I'll give a perfect example... the other night, my friend had his transmission is his new edge GT go out, he had just bought a replacement transmission(was even still under the warranty he got with it) and he was stranded at a gas station... his car was stuck in reverse... well, I go over to help him out, try to either get his car out of gear to see if it'd free up or to at the least, give him a ride home... so as we're working on his car, this cop comes up and tells us we are "loitering" and have to leave... here is the kicker with that, we had ALREADY TALKED to the gas station owner that we were going to be out there working on his car... two people had rode with me so there was 4 of us in total... the cop has the nerve to say "it doesn't take 4 people to fix a car"... I tell him "you are right, but when 3 people are in a car, and a fourth person calls them saying 'my car is broke at this gas station' those 3 friends are going to go over and help their other friend"... on top of that, I had pulled in next to my friends car and my car was BARELY in a handicap spot, i was actually parked in the spot next to it, but because my friend has his passenger door open, was a little over the line in the handicap spot... now with that being said, this is like midnight so I HIGHLY doubt any senior citizens were going to be pulling into this gas station on a Saturday night, lol... and every other parking spot was empty, including all the ones right in front of the entrance of the store... he gives me a written warning for parking in a handicap spot... I would say my car is "marked" but the problem is: I don't really have bad driving habits, lol.. I mean yeah, I go about 5 over the speed limit most often, have been known to change a lane without a blinker, don't count to 3 Mississippi in distance I maintain between cars, and sometimes roll through stop signs... but apparently the local cops think I'm Paul freakin' Walker

I won't say there aren't times I don't partake in activities I probably shouldn't, just not in my hometown

but as an every day driver, I rarely speed, etc.

I drove a bright red mustang for 5 years. I know this all to well
Old June 28th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
It's not the inconsistency that kills me with them...it's the profiling who they pull over for no reason other than to harass them. I (even being white, fairly well off) have witnessed it far too many times. They pick and choose who they harass and get away with breaking laws themselves simply because of a badge.

/rant

See you in a bit.
Yes, I definitely agree with you. Being brown after 9-11 has given all forms of law enforcement a right to violate citizen rights without reproach. Nevertheless, I have nothing to hide so I go along with it.

I've actually my entire Accord searched head to toe and made a complete mess out of for 30 minutes while I talked to a friend one night. You could tell the disappointment in the 3 Athens officers faces when they didn't find anything.

But I have to say all of this also depends on the car--Porsche and Corvette, multiple stops, never a ticket. In fact, half the time it's a conversation about the car, lol. Accord, Galant, Altima are a different story. Yes, very inconsistent.

I think personal car cameras and youtube are going to change all this. You can't get away with something when you are being taped and then put on trial in the mob-rule court of the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
...but apparently the local cops think I'm Paul freakin' Walker

Old June 28th   #10
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Drive something like this and they are too confused to mess with you... is it? or is it not? could be... better not mess with it.

Old June 28th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

LOL!!!