Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old July 29th   #1
moonchick
moonchick
has no status.

Host a Car Show

My husband and I manage a campground in Crane Hill, AL on Smith Lake and would love to host a car/bike show here. We have tons of room and a huge Convention Hall. Who do we need to get in touch with to start the plans? Thanks for any and all help!
moonchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Wow! Thank you for putting this out there.

Several organizers frequent the site and will see your post. Some of the key items to having a successful venue is power, easy entrance/egress to the show field, a grass field if possible, trees for shade near the grass/show field, a kitchen or grills for food prep with water available, and an available PA system or broadcasting system. How many of these does your site have?
Old July 29th   #3
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

I'm with Samir on most points. Food/drinks is easily bypassed by allowing coolers and banning liquor/alcohol or a couple truck vendors. Having grills would be quite convenient though. Grass and shade are crucial! I'm glad to see people are wanting us car guys to gather on their property, too. It's a change that i'm glad to see.

I'd be interested in looking at pavement vs. grass covered showfields to see if attendance suffers either way.

Hope someone takes you up on your offer!
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th   #4
moonchick
moonchick
has no status.

We have 60 acres mostly in grass, paved roads, easy excess off I65, plenty of shade trees, full hook-up sites with water, power and sewer and a 50x80 convention hall, heated and cooled with restrooms and a full kitchen. We are open to all suggestions. Thanks for your replies
Old July 30th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
I'd be interested in looking at pavement vs. grass covered showfields to see if attendance suffers either way.
From what I've see in this area, pavement is generally less favored due to the heat. It basically turns into an oven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchick View Post
We have 60 acres mostly in grass, paved roads, easy excess off I65, plenty of shade trees, full hook-up sites with water, power and sewer and a 50x80 convention hall, heated and cooled with restrooms and a full kitchen. We are open to all suggestions. Thanks for your replies
Wow, that sounds awesome! Are you looking to charge for use of the showgrounds?
Old July 30th   #6
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Talk about a venue - This place is beautiful.

Would love to see something in the fall with the lake and leaves in the background
Old July 30th   #7
moonchick
moonchick
has no status.

We would not charge to car clubs for holding the shows here but we would charge the vendors a small fee for setting up and we would expect a percentage of the gate sales to cover our cost. We would also expect the club members to help set things up and help with the clean up when it is over.
Old July 30th   #8
moonchick
moonchick
has no status.

If anyone brings a RV/camper/tent we would charge them as everyone else for the number of nights they stay....$25 for full hookup and $15 for tents. We are having the old web page redone this week but you can see pictures of the park at arrowheadpark-camp.com
Old July 30th   #9
Don 79 TA
Don 79 TA
has no status.

pavement is always nicer
keeps the cars cleaner

less for those with allergies

and the most important part... restroom facilities for a lengthy event
could always try to make an event yourself
use this sites event section
and send out flyers at other events, auto shops, parts houses, delis (well they probably don't exist anymore) etc...
Don 79 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th   #10
moonchick
moonchick
has no status.

Bathrooms are no problem...have shower house with 4 stalls each for men and women and mens and ladies restrooms with 2 stalls each in the Convention Hall. As for pavement, as you can see from the pictures on our website, we have plenty of that too.
Old July 30th   #11
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

sounds like you should try and get the old " saginaw show " away from point mallard .. i have`nt been since it moved ...you got room for 1000 cars ?
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th   #12
moonchick
moonchick
has no status.

We do have room for the 1000 cars with no problem...our concern on something that large would be parking for all the people coming to a show that big. We would also have to get more restrooms and vendors for a show that large and they would also take up more room. We could do it for now but as our park grows and we get more and more full timers that could pose a problem in years to come.
Old July 31st   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
We would not charge to car clubs for holding the shows here but we would charge the vendors a small fee for setting up and we would expect a percentage of the gate sales to cover our cost. We would also expect the club members to help set things up and help with the clean up when it is over.
Usually venues just charge a fixed fee and let the show organizer deal with everything including cleanup.
Quote:
If anyone brings a RV/camper/tent we would charge them as everyone else for the number of nights they stay....$25 for full hookup and $15 for tents. We are having the old web page redone this week but you can see pictures of the park at arrowheadpark-camp.com
Wow, there's a lot of great room for a nice event. And the roads are really car show friendly as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 79 TA View Post
pavement is always nicer
keeps the cars cleaner

less for those with allergies

and the most important part... restroom facilities for a lengthy event
could always try to make an event yourself
use this sites event section
and send out flyers at other events, auto shops, parts houses, delis (well they probably don't exist anymore) etc...
That's true, but what about the heat? And yes--restrooms! I forgot about that. Ones close to the show field. And there are still Delis in NYC!
Quote:
Bathrooms are no problem...have shower house with 4 stalls each for men and women and mens and ladies restrooms with 2 stalls each in the Convention Hall. As for pavement, as you can see from the pictures on our website, we have plenty of that too.
How close is this to the parking lot and grass field that can be used for the cars? Walking for 5 minutes when you have to go isn't pleasant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
sounds like you should try and get the old " saginaw show " away from point mallard .. i have`nt been since it moved ...you got room for 1000 cars ?
What's wrong with the Point Mallard location? I think it's actually better than Sagniaw since there's more trees and some hills.
Quote:
We do have room for the 1000 cars with no problem...our concern on something that large would be parking for all the people coming to a show that big. We would also have to get more restrooms and vendors for a show that large and they would also take up more room. We could do it for now but as our park grows and we get more and more full timers that could pose a problem in years to come.
These are definitely valid concerns, but there's only one local event that's reached 1000+ cars and it took years to get it that big. I think the main thing to worry about would be spectator parking.
Old July 31st   #14
GrantH
GrantH

I just have to say...based on the pictures...you have prime real estate for a lot of great events. Not just car shows.

Unite 08 was one of my favorite shows and it wasn't a "spectator" show at all. It was literally a 500+ truck show where everyone camped and partied all night and just had fun in general. No spectators hardly, only show goers. That seems to be the trend in truck shows, which I like, but it seems to be exactly the opposite here. People love to look without taking part in the scene fully. I mean that in a positive light...

You will do well if in touch with the right people...your land is perfect.
Old July 31st   #15
moonchick
moonchick
has no status.

Thanks for all your comments....I was hoping by posting that someone would see what all we have to offer and get in touch with us, not only car shows but anyone needing a place like this.
Old July 31st   #16
GrantH
GrantH

Moonchick, what can be done for an afternoon/evening meet/grill out with no one staying over night and not needing RV hookup? More or less it would be 20-40 mini trucks and owners just enjoying the day out there. I'm talking to a few guys from Birmingham and north about possibly meeting over your way but would like a little more info.

You can email me at grant.hobgood@gmail.com if you'd like. Or...just post here in case others are curious for the same thing.
Old July 31st   #17
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
? Walking for 5 minutes when you have to go isn't pleasant.
What's wrong with the Point Mallard location? I think it's actually better than Sagniaw since there's more trees and some hills.
iv`e never been to point mallard and be able to walk 5 minutes and get in .. its` park at the main road and walk a mile .. one lane in ... one lane out ...
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st   #18
GrantH
GrantH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 79 TA View Post
pavement is always nicer
keeps the cars cleaner
I disagree, entirely. Dry grass vs. Pavement is a battle of no merit imo. I've been to truck shows on complete grass show fields and no one has come out complaining that their truck got dirty because of the grass...

The allergies are concern for few, and there is usually grass surrounding that pavement.

I guess it all depends on the person, but I can't stand pavement parking shows, even as a spectator.
Old July 31st   #19
moonchick
moonchick
has no status.

Grant...that would be fine with us and we could do that for $5.00 per truck/vehicle and we can give you the entire point right on the water. You will have plenty of fire pits and picnic tables, lots of shade trees and grass. That area is also very close to the bath houses/restrooms. All you will need is to bring your grills, lounge chairs, food and drinks. All I need is a date so I can close the area to tent campers that day. That area is also very close to our boat launch and boat dock if anyone wants to bring their boat for joy rides.
Old July 31st   #20
GrantH
GrantH

Thanks, I will start seeing what I can gather.