Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners

North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners A dedicated forum for the Mitsubishi Owners in North Alabama

Old August 28th   #1
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

Clutch install needed. Recommend a shop

My clutch is starting to slip at 38k miles, so Iím shopping clutches online, looking at either the ACT hdss or the Exeddy Stage 1.

Whatís a good shop to have it and possible a cmc done at?
Yoo Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th   #2
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

You did well. I am at 27K and it is shot. I have read some issues with high speed lockout with both those, I think. I am leaning towards this one...

http://vr-speed.com/store/competitio...g-p-33233.html

Good reviews and good price.

I am also planning to do the job myself. Probably a daft idea but that has never stopped me before!

Jim M.
10 Evo X
nine3shoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th   #3
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine3shoof View Post
You did well. I am at 27K and it is shot. I have read some issues with high speed lockout with both those, I think. I am leaning towards this one...

http://vr-speed.com/store/competitio...g-p-33233.html

Good reviews and good price.

I am also planning to do the job myself. Probably a daft idea but that has never stopped me before!

Jim M.
10 Evo X
I read thread after thread on the Evo forums and was spinning in a circle with all the opinions, so I asked MAP what they recommended so I'm going with the ACT HDSS.

I've been talking with The Fiero Factory over on HSVracing.com about the install, which sounds like the way I'll go.

Hope I can make until it comes in. Right now it slips at WOT at any RPM in any gear. I'm having to go light/partial throttle and shifting really slowly.
Old August 29th   #4
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin View Post
I read thread after thread on the Evo forums and was spinning in a circle with all the opinions, so I asked MAP what they recommended so I'm going with the ACT HDSS.

I've been talking with The Fiero Factory over on HSVracing.com about the install, which sounds like the way I'll go.

Hope I can make until it comes in. Right now it slips at WOT at any RPM in any gear. I'm having to go light/partial throttle and shifting really slowly.
What are you getting quoted for parts and labour?

Did you decide to stick with the original CMC or swap it out for a tougher one?

Oh... same story with my clutch. No WOT possible.

Last edited by nine3shoof; August 29th at 02:26 PM.
Old August 30th   #5
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

Quote:
What are you getting quoted for parts and labour?

Did you decide to stick with the original CMC or swap it out for a tougher one?

Oh... same story with my clutch. No WOT possible.
I debated the CMC for a day and decided to wait and do more research on which to get, which looks like the SSP or AMS is the way to go.

The quotes I'm getting are for the labor only, installing the clutch and resurfacing the stock flywheel.

The Fiero Factory doesn't take American Express which is my primary credit card, and what I use when I make bigger purchases. I like the added layer of consumer protection that American Express and credit cards offer, so finding a shop that is both reputable and capable of accepting a formal method is prefered. I'm really trying to avoid the back road cash-only shops.

I'm going to attempt to head to the local Mitsu dealer today and get a quote on the install. I'm sure it'll be somewhere between $1-2k and they'll need the car for week, but it won't hurt to ask.

Trackmasters is another shop that's been recommend also. I sent them an email but got no response, so I might try stopping by them as well. I'm trying to do as little driving as possible at this point as I don't know how much longer the clutch has before it leaves me on the side of the road somewhere.
Old August 31st   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I've known Jeremy for years and he's very well qualified to work on cars. I've meant to take many of my cars there for issue, but even more major issue developed before I could. I need to get with him about renewing his HCS advertising too.

Since you're shopping around, I'd also talk to site advertisers Jireh Customs and YES Automotive and get a quote. Can't hurt. And I believe both take Amex.
Old August 31st   #7
ray
ray

Talk to BoostFab. One of the only groups I trust my Evo's work to. Especially something like a clutch install.
Old August 31st   #8
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

Ray IPA 420 tonight
dmcmahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th   #9
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
Talk to BoostFab. One of the only groups I trust my Evo's work to. Especially something like a clutch install.
Thanks, someone that knows Mitsu and AWD cars specifically would be nice. Sent Boostfab a PM and message on their FB page. I haven't heard back from TFF since last Weds, so I don't know if he still wants to do the install. I'll try calling him up today.

Getting to the point where the car is almost undriveable.
Old September 10th   #10
ray
ray

Quote:
Thanks, someone that knows Mitsu and AWD cars specifically would be nice. Sent Boostfab a PM and message on their FB page. I haven't heard back from TFF since last Weds, so I don't know if he still wants to do the install. I'll try calling him up today.

Getting to the point where the car is almost undriveable.
Jeremy (BoostFab) is the guy you want to talk to. He used to work at the local Mitsubishi dealer for awhile and was a Master Tech. He knows the Evo so if you go with them you'll be fine.
Old September 18th   #11
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

UPDATE: Ended up taking it to the Mistu Service Department at Bill Penny and had an excellent experience. Cost was comparable to what quotes I got from the various other shops and would have only taken them 2 days but they found that the flywheel needed to be replaced which they ordered over night. For the inconvience of not having the flywheel in stock, they took 10% off the labor, 40% on the flywheel, and didn't charge for the transmission and AWD fluid flush.

They even called me after the car was finished to ask if I was ok with them doing a test drive, and if they could wait to do it today as the mechanic didn't feel safe taking it out in yesterday's rain.

The car is running great, clutch feels great, got great service at a great price!
Old September 18th   #12
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

Quote:
UPDATE: Ended up taking it to the Mistu Service Department at Bill Penny and had an excellent experience. Cost was comparable to what quotes I got from the various other shops and would have only taken them 2 days but they found that the flywheel needed to be replaced which they ordered over night. For the inconvience of not having the flywheel in stock, they took 10% off the labor, 40% on the flywheel, and didn't charge for the transmission and AWD fluid flush.

They even called me after the car was finished to ask if I was ok with them doing a test drive, and if they could wait to do it today as the mechanic didn't feel safe taking it out in yesterday's rain.

The car is running great, clutch feels great, got great service at a great price!
Would you mind disclosing the cost for the labour and the flywheel? What fluids did they use? I have heard horror stories about the cost for the transmission and transfer case fluids from Mitsubishi.

I got my clutch in and am planning to start Friday night

Jim M.
Old September 18th   #13
ray
ray

I have always had great luck with the people at the Bill Penney Mitsubishi service department. They are a good group of people and you can't go wrong with them 90% of the time!
Old September 18th   #14
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

A friend and I did mine over a weekend. Fun times on jack stands lol. Glad you got a good service at the dealer though. Go ahead and get the Magnus CMC kit. The oem plastic one WILL explode on you eventually. May be tomorrow or a year from now, but it will go. Better off having peace of mind instead of being out somewhere and having no way home besides a tow truck.
HPEVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th   #15
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

Quote:
Would you mind disclosing the cost for the labour and the flywheel? What fluids did they use? I have heard horror stories about the cost for the transmission and transfer case fluids from Mitsubishi.

I got my clutch in and am planning to start Friday night

Jim M.
Which clutch did you get?

Iíll PM you the cost break down. It was really cool (and completely unnecessary) for them to change the all the diffs and tranny fluid, the first costing $400 and the second $200. Iíve done the tranny fluid myself and itís easy. I do it every 10k with amsoil. The diff fluids Iíve done (except for the AWC) with Mitsuís own Diaquin. The AWC requires pressure and a pump and is too easy to screw up. In fact they mentioned a guy had taken his Evo 10 to another shop to have a clutch done and fluids changed, and they didnít do the AWC right, causing a complete AWD failure which cost $3200 in parts alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
I have always had great luck with the people at the Bill Penney Mitsubishi service department. They are a good group of people and you can't go wrong with them 90% of the time!
I feel good about them now. And as with any shop I have work done, I order pizzas for them for lunch. In fact I do this anytime I have work done, either on a car or my home, is I like to try to tip and provide a lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVOX View Post
A friend and I did mine over a weekend. Fun times on jack stands lol. Glad you got a good service at the dealer though. Go ahead and get the Magnus CMC kit. The oem plastic one WILL explode on you eventually. May be tomorrow or a year from now, but it will go. Better off having peace of mind instead of being out somewhere and having no way home besides a tow truck.

Iím still debating on the CMC. Iíve read that the Magnus has issues with both the product itself and the support from the company. I was thinking if I go with a new CMC itíll be the AMS. Again, still debating the need as I read that the ACT HDSS clutch isnít an aggressive enough clutch to kill the stock CMC, even at Stage II which I donít plan going beyond.
Old September 19th   #16
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

The Magnus "kit" is only a CNC'd piece of aluminum that allows the factory evo 8/9 cmc to be bolted up to the firewall. It's the same as the AMS adapter bracket, other than the fact that the AMS has a little recession so the bracket fits around the lip on the firewall from the stock location. Both use the exact same CMC. Just a recession is the only difference, seals better, to keep air from transfering from the engine bay to the cabin.
As far as support, I was having issues with mine from Magnus (i thought) and turned out to be only some air in the line . I was able to call Marco directly and talk to him for about 30 minutes deciding what the issue was. Customer service is good.
I did the CMC upgrade because i'm running the ACT 6 puck. Both of ours use the same pressure plate though, only a different clutch disc, so the pressure on the CMC would be the same. Let me know if you do plan on staying with the stock cmc or if you go with the AMS or Magnus. Curious to see if the stocker will hold out. If you decide to go with an aftermarket cmc let me know if you want to diy and i could help you out if needed. I hope the stocker survives though!!
Old September 19th   #17
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

Quote:
The Magnus "kit" is only a CNC'd piece of aluminum that allows the factory evo 8/9 cmc to be bolted up to the firewall. It's the same as the AMS adapter bracket, other than the fact that the AMS has a little recession so the bracket fits around the lip on the firewall from the stock location. Both use the exact same CMC. Just a recession is the only difference, seals better, to keep air from transfering from the engine bay to the cabin.
As far as support, I was having issues with mine from Magnus (i thought) and turned out to be only some air in the line . I was able to call Marco directly and talk to him for about 30 minutes deciding what the issue was. Customer service is good.
I did the CMC upgrade because i'm running the ACT 6 puck. Both of ours use the same pressure plate though, only a different clutch disc, so the pressure on the CMC would be the same. Let me know if you do plan on staying with the stock cmc or if you go with the AMS or Magnus. Curious to see if the stocker will hold out. If you decide to go with an aftermarket cmc let me know if you want to diy and i could help you out if needed. I hope the stocker survives though!!
How involved is a CMC install? I might order one and at least have it on stand by until I have the time to install or have it installed. What kind of power mods do you have? Again I hear that Evo 10 owners have blow the CMC with the stock clutch and stock power, and I've heard some have no issues with turbo upgrades. I do know of someone that had the Exeddy clutch with oem flywheel and popped the CMC within 100 miles. The Exeddy is the stage I but is much more aggressive and stiff feeling than the ACT. I'm really surprised at how close to stock the ACT feels. I love it!

What color is your Evo?
Old September 19th   #18
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

You have to grind off a few bolt heads on the firewall to allow the bracket to bolt up. It's not too hard, just in a tight space. Power mods shouldn't affect the CMC. I'm basically full bolt ons, stock turbo. Mine is Red.
Old September 19th   #19
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

Quote:
You have to grind off a few bolt heads on the firewall to allow the bracket to bolt up. It's not too hard, just in a tight space. Power mods shouldn't affect the CMC. I'm basically full bolt ons, stock turbo. Mine is Red.
Are there any fluids involved? I'm trying to view some CMC how-to online but they're blocked here at work.

Awesome the red. I really wanted either Red or Rotor Glow, but all I could find was silver, black and grey, so I went black. Kind of wish I went silver with the choice. Black is so hard to keep clean.
Old September 19th   #20
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
Are there any fluids involved? I'm trying to view some CMC how-to online but they're blocked here at work.

Awesome the red. I really wanted either Red or Rotor Glow, but all I could find was silver, black and grey, so I went black. Kind of wish I went silver with the choice. Black is so hard to keep clean.
Yeah you have to remove the brake master cylinder to get to the cmc. Then once all is installed you just replace the break fluid which covers the clutch and brake system. It comes with a steel braded line from the cmc to the slave cylinder too.