Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old October 9th   #1
1JZPWRD
1JZPWRD
has no status.

My tuning story...Nothing but the truth, so help me GOD!

I am new here and have been reading some great stories and threads about several people and their involvement in their tuning and build progress. I wanted to share my story and let everyone know what happened behind the progression of my swap and the payoff in the end..

After I help a close friend extended the wiring harness from a Soarer to my SC400, I put everything back into play and ran through the firewall. My AEM V2 came in with the plug and play patch harness from DM (Driftmotion). I ended having to run two more sensor wires for the heater and one by the rack and pinion. I double checked everything and had a fire extinguisher ready, just in case. We used heat shrink on everything. I kept getting cylinders one, two and three filling up with fuel. I couldnt figure out why. I troubleshooted this for over 3 weeks, spent hours on CL (ClubLexus), and had no luck. Several people had ideas and tried that, and still had no luck. No matter what I did, it still continued to fill up the same cylinders.

Finally, a guy on the forums came down from Murfreesboro, TN, who is a wiring nut. He spent 8 hours looking at diagrams, wiring, sensors, and settings, and he couldn't figure it out. The SC400 gets its power by a three pin plug by the battery, which is totally different than the 300 or Soarer. We tried to tie this in, but couldn't figure it out. He finally left with no luck. Two weeks later he came back and figured that the injectors were wired wrong and had resistance on them, which was a big no no. He ran new wires from all six cylinders, through the firewall, and tied them in to the AEM. He checked the map settings and adjusted them again to the 800cc injector size. After the first turn of the key, the car cranked right up and ran. We drove the car around for about 40 miles or so and he did some light street tuning and set the boost at a measly 6 pounds. He didn't want to turn it up anymore due to risking any damage. I paid him 400 JUST FOR HIS TIME AND GAS.

I drove the car for another 4 weeks and had zero problems. I called two tuning places in Atlanta, one was TopSpeed and the other was Zen Motors. Top speed sounded real professional but told me straight up they mainly deal in GTR's and Porsche. He did tell me that they could tune it, but the tuner was out of town at the moment. He was supposed to call me back and never did. That is a red flag in my book. A mans word is all we have nowadays. I then called Zen, which dealt with Lexus and Toyota's, specialized in 1JZ and 2JZ swaps. I felt right at home. After speaking with the Operations guy, and him making me feel all tingly inside, I set an appointment. He did tell me they had a tuner and would be there. He also told they would charge me a predyno inspection of 200 bucks to assure all is well.

Me and the family towed the car to Atlanta and made a trip out of it. Attended a car meet and then drove the car to Zens for the weekend, till they had completed the predyno inspection. Showed back up on Monday morning and they got to work. They installed the boost controller and changed the wastegate spring. It was a 18 pound spring, I thought. After them tearing it apart, the diaphram was cracked. They changed it out with a new one and put in a new spring rated at 12 pounds. The tuner went to work and the car kept surging and revving up and down at idle. It was a bad map sensor. They replaced the map sensor with a GM 3 bar one, and life was good. Oh wait a minute..... I thought it was.... When the tuner and the mechanic were tucking all the wires back, one of them touched the steel braided line going to the catch can, grounded out, and started smoking. They instantly disconnected the battery and figured out what had happened. Ended up shorting out three other sensors, and cost me 1300 in labor for the rewiring. They had to rewire them and then connect them to the AEM. After this was completed and the AEM connected with everything correctly, the tuner went to work.

The car sat for over two weeks, due to the tuner quitting and left Zen without a tuner. I called every three days or so, and checked the status. I was over 300 miles away and couldn't possibly check on there at will. They assured me it ran and made 330 or so rwhp on a Mustang dyno. This was all they could get before the tuner quit for another engineering job. I told them that was unacceptable and the car wasnt right. I knew the potential of the it, from the beginning. Everyone told me to go get the car, but I felt they started on it, they need to make it right. The car sat for another 3 weeks and finally I called and threatened them to find a tuner and get it done. I am out a car, and need it back. This time frame to get a running car was unacceptable. The owner finally assured me the car needed larger fuel lines, and that was what the problem was for it only reaching those numbers. This was total crap. I gave them the go ahead, not knowing the real truth. I felt this was to milk me for more money. They called me after I gave them the go ahead, and told me there was a problem with their credit card and it being the fourth of July, it was going to delay the processing any further. i was furious by this point.

The fuel lines were installed, and still no tune. They had to call another place to get in on their dyno. They ended up calling BatlGround. After it sat there for a week, they called me and told me it was almost done. I know this cause I asked a friend of mine to go by there and physically check on the car. He kept me posted. The owner of Zen text me the number at 16 pounds was 467rwhp, and still tweaking. The end results was 551rwhp at 21 pounds. It wanted more but ran out of fuel. The TT supra pump was tapped out. That number I believe. They even video taped the dyno pulls, and printed off the dyno sheet. In the end, they hit me with a bill for over 3K for the total process. I think it way over priced, and they robbed me.

On the way down to pick it up, he called me and said it would be finished and to come on. I was driving from Birmingham. When we arrived there, there was still no car. I apologized to the mechanic and the Operations manager for all the flaming they were receiving on the other forums. They kindly accepted. They received a phone call and said the SC had broke down on the way from tuning and the clutch wouldn't engage properly. They come back and got the trailer, and towed it back to the shop. We rolled it off and inspected the car. It was the brand new throwout bearing that had gotten broke. We pulled the tranny for another Soarer R154 I had, and replaced the bearing. All is good know, and we finally test drove the car. The car drove amazing to me, maybe because I haven't driven at any amount of good boost or I just missed it. Who knows???

In the end, I was very happy with the tune, the patience paid off, but I felt like I was robbed on the pricing. The total cost for this, was actually more than what I bought the whole car for. My lesson has been learned to figure things out on your own and never ever leave the car somewhere this far away, where you cant go by there and check on the car.
1992 Lexus SC400 also known as "Sleeper", 1JZ swap, BW S366, Built R154, ACT clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MINZ fuel pressure reugulator, AEM gauges, AEM V2 standalone, HKS slip on, HKS BOV, and much more...
1JZPWRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th   #2
Reckon
Reckon
so...

Quite a story. Sucks to hear about all of your issues. Glad you have your car back...I agree though, it seems you were yanked around a good bit and probably paid for things you shouldn't have had to.
Old October 9th   #3
1JZPWRD
1JZPWRD
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckon View Post
Quite a story. Sucks to hear about all of your issues. Glad you have your car back...I agree though, it seems you were yanked around a good bit and probably paid for things you shouldn't have had to.
If anyone knows these cars, they know the stock fuel lines are capable of the 500Rwhp plus without any issues. They told me they are only going by the tuner recommendation, and that's all anyone can do. The operations guy told me that you cant suck an orange through a straw. Thats what they told me the problem was. Lack of VOLUME of fuel. To add to the story, when I had a problem with the car stalling, the trigger wire from the IGN, was not kicking on the pump when the key was turned. I jumped the hot wire from the battery to the trigger out wire on the relay, the fuel pump come on. I knew then the trigger wire had went bad somewhere. I ran another wire to from another source, all is good now. Simple fix, no issues. While I was inspecting the fuel pump, I looked at the AN lines they put in, and they didnt even install a inline fuel filter. I called them and asked why. They emailed me back and said its personal preference and that the pump itself has a filter, and the other is really not needed. I am now looking to install a new Aero inline fuel filter with fittings this week. Just another issue when someones does the work, you cant double check everything.

Does anyone have the tool to cut the AN style line? I need it for about an hour, just long enough to install the filter and fittings.
1992 Lexus SC400 also known as "Sleeper", 1JZ swap, BW S366, Built R154, ACT clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MINZ fuel pressure reugulator, AEM gauges, AEM V2 standalone, HKS slip on, HKS BOV, and much more...
Old October 9th   #4
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD View Post
Does anyone have the tool to cut the AN style line? I need it for about an hour, just long enough to install the filter and fittings.
Use a chisel and hammer with tape around the line you are cutting to keep the line from fraying. Works like magic.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th   #5
1JZPWRD
1JZPWRD
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTyla View Post
Use a chisel and hammer with tape around the line you are cutting to keep the line from fraying. Works like magic.
I can honestly say I have never heard this before. I might have to give this a try.
Old October 9th   #6
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Quote:
I can honestly say I have never heard this before. I might have to give this a try.
There's a YouTube video by anplumbing.com showing the technique. It works remarkably well.

It should be one of these listed on their website. I can't confirm as I can't view videos at work:

http://www.anplumbing.com/page/3
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th   #7
1JZPWRD
1JZPWRD
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTyla View Post
There's a YouTube video by anplumbing.com showing the technique. It works remarkably well.

It should be one of these listed on their website. I can't confirm as I can't view videos at work:

http://www.anplumbing.com/page/3
I just might have to give this a try. Looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the links!!
Old October 10th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
There's a company on Putman drive called Total Hose (I know, I know, I can only imagine how they answer the phone ) that specializes in high pressure hoses. I wonder if they have the tool and would let you use it.