Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

URGENT!! Huntsville Planning Commission Hearing
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

November 20th 05:00 PM to 05:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: City Hall Council Chambers, 308 Fountain Circle, 7th Floor, Huntsville, Alabama 35801

If you are an enthusiast on any level, and enjoy the scene we have here, YOU NEED TO COME TO THIS HEARING TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS!!

The Huntsville City Planning Commission is planning to destroy the only venue for one of the more popular aspects of our hobby--autocrossing. If this venue is eliminated, it will devastate one of the oldest enthusiast organizations here in Huntsville--Twickenham Auto Club and the sister club Tennessee Vally Region of the Sports Car Club of America. This will also continue to allow local legislation to destroy our hobby through things like the time limits imposed on the drag strip and the loud stereo ordinance.

We have already lost our rights to drag race safely at night at our drag strip because we didn't speak up. And now we're about to lose autocross. And if we don't say something now, they'll never hear us.

It's time to rise up and show up in force. Pure numbers are what we need to show that enthusiast interests will no longer be ignored. Bring every enthusiast you know and let our voice be heard.

I personally urge you to plan to attend this important meeting, and spread the news of this hearing to every enthusiast you know.

If you are unable to attend, please watch the session live:
http://www.traveller.com/coh/
3 members will be attending this event:

Old October 24th   #2
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Count me in.

I'm assuming we are on the agenda?

Last edited by EvilZ; October 24th at 07:03 AM.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th   #3
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

you need to be on the agenda!just showing up in force ain't gonna do nothing. you also need numbers." this event brings in this amount of $$$ and this event brings in this amount. do people spend the night when they come,do the stay long enough to eat,do they buy gas/fuel here.anything you can think of that shows it brings in money.
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th   #4
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Seemed like they are expecting us...

From the City Interactive Imagine Huntsville Website with the Auto club comments.
Posted by marie.bostick
The Planning Commission will be made aware of the discussions and comments that are gathered through this interactive process. As Manager of Planning, I am serving as a moderator to help answer questions that I can and also take back information to the Commission. A public hearing on the proposed plan will be held by the Planning Commission on Novemeber 20, 2012 at 5:00 p.m. in the City Hall Council Chambers. Everyone is welcome to speak at that meeting and voice their opinions in person. Thanks for all the comments.

Last edited by G_Horneck; October 24th at 03:23 PM.
G_Horneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th   #5
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

even better!!
Old October 24th   #6
ginia
ginia
Roll Tide Roll!!!

I've never autocrossed but I'm dying too someday. I just told Marcus last night eventually we're getting a set of tires/wheels just for track use. Count us in for attending.
ginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th   #7
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginia View Post
I've never autocrossed but I'm dying too someday.
Come out this weekend and check it out. Slap a helmet on and go for a ride.
Old October 24th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
Count me in.

I'm assuming we are on the agenda?
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
you need to be on the agenda!just showing up in force ain't gonna do nothing. you also need numbers." this event brings in this amount of $$$ and this event brings in this amount. do people spend the night when they come,do the stay long enough to eat,do they buy gas/fuel here.anything you can think of that shows it brings in money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
Seemed like they are expecting us...

From the City Interactive Imagine Huntsville Website with the Auto club comments.
Posted by marie.bostick
The Planning Commission will be made aware of the discussions and comments that are gathered through this interactive process. As Manager of Planning, I am serving as a moderator to help answer questions that I can and also take back information to the Commission. A public hearing on the proposed plan will be held by the Planning Commission on Novemeber 20, 2012 at 5:00 p.m. in the City Hall Council Chambers. Everyone is welcome to speak at that meeting and voice their opinions in person. Thanks for all the comments.
I've emailed the council using the email they have on the website. I haven't checked email today, but will post here the second I hear about the agenda procedures. I want us to officially be on the agenda. I don't want to see what happened to the drag strip to happen again.
Old October 25th   #9
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

"Thank you for the invite. I hope the City Council Chambers can hold 10,000+ people because we will be there in force to be sure our opinion is heard. This is a very important issue to us."

Man i hope you know some people that know some people that know 5000 people.............lol.
Old October 25th   #10
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

i would suggest that someone with better typing skills than i go over to huntsille racing and post something about this. it could and will affect all car folks in the huntsville area. just a thought?
Old October 27th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
"Thank you for the invite. I hope the City Council Chambers can hold 10,000+ people because we will be there in force to be sure our opinion is heard. This is a very important issue to us."

Man i hope you know some people that know some people that know 5000 people.............lol.
And I'd love for that to be a problem for us.

The last time this type of issue came up regarding the drag strip, less than a dozen of us were present at the council meeting. And we all know how that turned out--the drag strip does not have the events that run into the evening the way it once did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
i would suggest that someone with better typing skills than i go over to huntsille racing and post something about this. it could and will affect all car folks in the huntsville area. just a thought?
That's a great idea, as well as getting in touch with every enthusiast group in the city. This is a judgment that can set precedents that will effect ALL our enthusiast activities in the future. The scene may be pushed out of the city if these type of legislations are not fought. We must say something, and now.
Old November 8th   #12
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

So what's the thing going on tonight at the tennis center
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
So what's the thing going on tonight at the tennis center
I wasn't aware of this. What is it?
Old November 9th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Alert!!! Meeting times moved without much announcement!

"A second public forum will take place at the Dr. Richard Showers, Sr. Recreation Center, Nov. 18 at 2:00 p.m., at 4600 Blue Springs Road."

"A final public hearing on the Master Plan will take place at the Planning Commission meeting in City Council Chambers on November 27--City Hall Council Chambers, 308 Fountain Circle, 7th Floor, Huntsville, Alabama 35801."

Mark your calendars!!

Last edited by Samir; November 9th at 11:21 PM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th   #15
dr1ft@gious
dr1ft@gious
needs money for bilstein sports.

Someone NEEDS to make a facebook event for this.
dr1ft@gious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1ft@gious View Post
Someone NEEDS to make a facebook event for this.
Do it. We've got no time to lose. Autocross and motorsports in this city as we know it are in serious jeopardy.
Old November 12th   #17
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

So i'm lost.............I was under the impression this would be discussed at a city council hearing on the 20th???? What's the deal with this thing on the 18th?
Old November 12th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
So i'm lost.............I was under the impression this would be discussed at a city council hearing on the 20th???? What's the deal with this thing on the 18th?
Originally, there was a second to final hearing to be held on the 20th. Then a 'surprise' hearing was held last week and the date for this hearing was changed to the 18th. There is a final hearing on the matter to basically put it in stone on the 27th, but that's too late.
Old November 12th   #19
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

They are trying to sneak it in -
Old November 12th   #20
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Well i'll do my best to attend. kinda strange being on a Sunday.